The Music Room > Composer Discussion

Havergal Brian.

<< < (2/1616) > >>

Sergeant Rock:

--- Quote from: Harry on June 09, 2007, 03:36:53 AM ---My first dip into this composer on a Naxos disc, Violin Concerto, and 18th Symphony, makes me eager for more.
So I looked on the JPC site, and found a recording of his third Symphony, and ordered that. The other Naxos recordings under Lenard I am suspect about, but if someone who knows them says oke, I am willing to explore, but there is rather a great amount of singing and sopranos, so better not.

--- End quote ---

Only two Brian symphonies employ female yodelers: avoid the Fourth and the Gothic (...if you must) and purchase the rest with confidence. The thing about Brian is: you have very little choice...well, no choice really. But all the performances I own (and I think I have everything that's been released on LP and CD) are at least competent and let you hear the music. We Brian fanatics pray daily that some sympathetic conductor on Brian's wave-length, with a great orchestra, will take up the challenge. But, like the Second Coming, I'm not going to hold my breath until it happens. In the meantime, I'll take anything I can get.

By the way, I completely agree with Luke. The first three (purely orchestral) movements of the Gothic can make a satisfying whole. Everyone needs to hear that Vivace!

Sarge

Sergeant Rock:

--- Quote from: springrite on June 09, 2007, 04:19:09 AM ---Brian's most famous work, and the one work that Brian fans consider to be a great masterpiece, is his symphony #1, known as Gothic. As a big fan of much of Brian's music, I must admit I hear nothing in that work whatsoever.

--- End quote ---

BE GONE, UNBELIEVER!!!

Sarge

P.S. Seriously, not even the Vivace moved you?

Harry:

--- Quote from: Sergeant Rock on June 09, 2007, 05:27:27 AM ---Only two Brian symphonies employ yodelers: avoid the Fourth and the Gothic (...if you must) and purchase the rest with confidence. The thing about Brian is: you have very little choice...well, no choice really. But all the performances I own (and I think I have everything that's been released on LP and CD) are at least competent and let you hear the music. We Brian fanatics pray daily that some sympathetic conductor on Brian's wave-length, with a great orchestra, will take up the challenge. But, like the Second Coming, I'm not going to hold my breath until it happens. In the meantime, I'll take anything I can get.

By the way, I completely agree with Luke. The first three (purely orchestral) movements of the Gothic can make a satisfying whole. Everyone needs to hear that Vivace!

Sarge

--- End quote ---

Right Sarge, I will act on your and others advice is just doing that. I have seen that he is poorly represented in the catalogue, but what there is I will buy. Were to find the EMI set in Europe is still a question for me, since I am not aquainted with Amazon, and never bought there my cd's.
So have to find out how to do that.

Larry Rinkel:

--- Quote from: Sergeant Rock on June 09, 2007, 05:31:31 AM ---BE GONE, UNBELIEVER!!!

Sarge

P.S. Seriously, not even the Vivace moved you?

--- End quote ---

Maybe it moved him to exit the room . . . .

Bonehelm:
His gothic symphony is quite possibly the only work in the repertoire that can stand up to Mahler's eighth in terms of scale and mass...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version