Havergal Brian.

Started by Harry, June 09, 2007, 04:36:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

calyptorhynchus

Quote from: Roasted Swan on August 23, 2020, 07:17:50 AM
+1 in all you say - but all the more impressive given that at the time of writing few had been commercially recorded or even professionally played so these insights are based on looking at the actual written page...

Reminds me off an anecdote about the young Tovey in the 1880s: at school he had done all his lessons and was streets ahead of his fellow pupils. He was allowed to sit at the back of the class with a score of a Beethoven chamber work. After a little while Tovey leapt up and began clapping wildly. When the teacher asked what he was doing he looked sheepish and said "sorry, I thought I was at a performance"!
'Many men are melancholy by hearing music, but it is a pleasing melancholy that it causeth.' Robert Burton

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Roasted Swan on August 23, 2020, 07:17:50 AM
+1 in all you say - but all the more impressive given that at the time of writing few had been commercially recorded or even professionally played so these insights are based on looking at the actual written page...
Yes, the man was brilliant. I'm glad that I was able to thank him in person for his books (they changed my life).
Quote from: calyptorhynchus on August 23, 2020, 01:39:53 PM
Reminds me off an anecdote about the young Tovey in the 1880s: at school he had done all his lessons and was streets ahead of his fellow pupils. He was allowed to sit at the back of the class with a score of a Beethoven chamber work. After a little while Tovey leapt up and began clapping wildly. When the teacher asked what he was doing he looked sheepish and said "sorry, I thought I was at a performance"!
Nice one!
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Any recording of the third symphony with good recording sound (and good performance)?

relm1

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on December 05, 2020, 06:30:01 PM
Any recording of the third symphony with good recording sound (and good performance)?

I think this is what you're looking for.

https://www.hyperion-records.co.uk/dc.asp?dc=D_CDH55029

J.Z. Herrenberg

On YouTube, when you search under Havergal Brian, Symphony No. 3 Pope', you can find the first performance from the early 70s.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: J.Z. Herrenberg on December 06, 2020, 10:11:15 AM
On YouTube, when you search under Havergal Brian, Symphony No. 3 Pope', you can find the first performance from the early 70s.

I will do so. Thanks a lot!

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

krummholz

Quote from: relm1 on December 06, 2020, 06:01:50 AM
I think this is what you're looking for.

https://www.hyperion-records.co.uk/dc.asp?dc=D_CDH55029

That looks like a reissue... a very fine performance IMO. Some prefer the Pope reading, available (at least it was, a year or two ago) from Klassic Haus. I feel they both have their strengths, and are both worth a careful listen.

vandermolen

Quote from: krummholz on December 11, 2020, 09:04:32 AM
That looks like a reissue... a very fine performance IMO. Some prefer the Pope reading, available (at least it was, a year or two ago) from Klassic Haus. I feel they both have their strengths, and are both worth a careful listen.
Helios were budget price reissues.
Here's the original (full-price) release.
Spot the difference!
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Thank you gentlemen. I am travelling South America now.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Yes, the Pope recording sounds great while the recording quality is good/fair.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: vandermolen on December 11, 2020, 09:17:36 AM
Helios were budget price reissues.
Here's the original (full-price) release.
Spot the difference!

The star appears to be used as a dot of letter "i". Is this purposeful?
Did Helios add the dot with the matching color later?

Post ed. I am wrong. Perhaps Helios renewed the entire title and names.

calyptorhynchus

May be deliberate, isn't there something about the word 'Altarus' being written on the score of the Third, which people have interpreted as a form of 'Altair' (alpha aquilae), and from which Altarus Reocrds took its name?
'Many men are melancholy by hearing music, but it is a pleasing melancholy that it causeth.' Robert Burton

J.Z. Herrenberg

That would be a very abstruse in-joke, if that i-turned-star would refer to Altarus. But I like your ingenuity!

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: krummholz on December 11, 2020, 09:04:32 AM

Thank you for your recommendation for both the two recordings. What do you mean by ""careful"" listen? Why are you saying it? Thanks a lot.

vandermolen

Exciting new release!
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

J.Z. Herrenberg

Yes, I already ordered it through the HBS. Got an email about it late this afternoon. Nice!

vandermolen

Quote from: J.Z. Herrenberg on December 16, 2020, 01:25:29 PM
Yes, I already ordered it through the HBS. Got an email about it late this afternoon. Nice!

Me too Johan.
:)

J.Z. Herrenberg

Albion

Members of the HBS may know the answer: is there any news on the release of Faust conducted by Martyn Brabbins?

:)
A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it. (SG, 1922)