The Music Room > Composer Discussion

Havergal Brian.

<< < (1614/1616) > >>

Albion:
Is there any news yet about the CD release of Faust?

:-\

J.Z. Herrenberg:

--- Quote from: Albion on July 22, 2021, 10:03:54 PM ---Is there any news yet about the CD release of Faust?

:-\

--- End quote ---
Alas, no, John. The last news we had was the John Pickard post I quoted in April.

Albion:

--- Quote from: J.Z. Herrenberg on July 22, 2021, 10:07:41 PM ---Alas, no, John. The last news we had was the John Pickard post I quoted in April.

--- End quote ---

Presumably the editing has been done - now would be a good time to release, given the general current lack of enterprise shown by several companies which used to be much more imaginative - Hyperion and Chandos seem to have largely given up and turned more and more to the mainstream.

Dutton Epoch has long been one of my favourite companies for exploratory repertoire along with CPO...

:)

krummholz:

--- Quote from: J.Z. Herrenberg on July 22, 2021, 07:59:24 PM ---Great to hear from you. Yes, this thread is still alive, which is either a testament to the power of Brian's music or the stubbornness of a few misguided souls (as the detractors would have it)! Those Walker CDs have been mostly good. I personally still prefer Newstone and Mackerras in the Seventh and Fredman in the Sixth and Suxteenth, but it's great we now have a choice. It's quite remarkable. And Faust and The Cenci still await us.
Keep on listening! (as David Hurwitz always ends his excellent YouTube videos)

--- End quote ---

Interesting take on the xylophone passage, Johan. The RVW transition to the Finale in Symphony 4 is well-known as a reference to the similar passage in Beethoven's #5, but I had never thought of the Brian in those terms. Shall have to listen again, soon.

Symphonic Addict:
Enjoying this rather serviceable performance of the Symphony No. 4 Das Siegeslied. I had forgot what an epic gargantuan score this is!! Just my cup of tea. It should be better known, there are many arresting and thought-provoking moments that leave quite an impression.

https://www.youtube.com/v/7XK-d3Jeb2k

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version