Havergal Brian.

Started by Harry, June 09, 2007, 04:36:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: vandermolen on October 12, 2021, 11:49:21 PM
Good news! I hope that Heritage release Symphony 8 as well.

You mean the Groves recording? Not anytime soon, I think. Isn't it still available?

Just ordered my copy of Faust through the HBS. It's on its way... Very excited!
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Maestro267

I wish Dutton were more broad in what they choose to put on spotify. Gotta be everything or nothing. For instance, most of their symphony recordings are on there but No 2&14 isn't. Which is annoying cos I have the disc but I can't play it cos my computer won't accept SACD

relm1

Does anyone know if its available in download format?  My cd player is down so I have no options on hearing this and have been waiting for it for years! 

vandermolen

Quote from: J.Z. Herrenberg on October 13, 2021, 01:02:58 AM

You mean the Groves recording? Not anytime soon, I think. Isn't it still available?

Just ordered my copy of Faust through the HBS. It's on its way... Very excited!
No Johan - Myer Fredman:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: vandermolen on October 13, 2021, 08:51:14 AM
No Johan - Myer Fredman:

Of course!

I just listened to it again. It has been a while. It moved me more than ever before. What a struggle between light and dark! Fredman accentuates the drama of the piece much more than Groves. It makes for a very gripping experience. I heard this symphony for the first time in 1977. Now it's 2021, and it's just as powerful. One of Brian's best.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

vandermolen

Quote from: J.Z. Herrenberg on October 13, 2021, 09:48:31 AM

Of course!

I just listened to it again. It has been a while. It moved me more than ever before. What a struggle between light and dark! Fredman accentuates the drama of the piece much more than Groves. It makes for a very gripping experience. I heard this symphony for the first time in 1977. Now it's 2021, and it's just as powerful. One of Brian's best.
I agree - it's arguably my favourite - along with the 'Gothic' of course!
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

krummholz

Quote from: vandermolen on October 13, 2021, 10:37:27 PM
I agree - it's arguably my favourite - along with the 'Gothic' of course!

Gosh, aside from the Gothic, for me there's the 3rd, the 7th, the 8th, the 11th, not to mention nos. 16, 21, 22, 23, 27, and 30! So many favorites, I really can't pick just one!

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: krummholz on October 14, 2021, 03:41:40 AM
Gosh, aside from the Gothic, for me there's the 3rd, the 7th, the 8th, the 11th, not to mention nos. 16, 21, 22, 23, 27, and 30! So many favorites, I really can't pick just one!

Same here. The only symphony I don't much care for is no. 26.

vandermolen

OK, my favourites are: 1,2,3,6,7,8,9,10,11,16,17,22.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: vandermolen on October 14, 2021, 12:01:23 PM
Those are all terrific, Jeffrey.

vandermolen

Quote from: J.Z. Herrenberg on October 14, 2021, 12:26:32 PM
Those are all terrific, Jeffrey.
Those are the ones which mean a lot to me Johan. I have come to appreciate No2 recently.

foxandpeng

I SO need to get my butt into gear, here. I've slightly less listening time at the moment, but that's no excuse. I've meant to take a proper run at Brian's symphonies for such a long time...

I did listen to #5 the other day, but the wine had gone a little vinegary for my taste...
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

vandermolen

Quote from: foxandpeng on October 14, 2021, 12:33:31 PM
I SO need to get my butt into gear, here. I've slightly less listening time at the moment, but that's no excuse. I've meant to take a proper run at Brian's symphonies for such a long time...

I did listen to #5 the other day, but the wine had gone a little vinegary for my taste...

Yes, you do Danny - no excuses accepted  ;D
Seriously I'd try (apart from the Gothic) nos 6 ('Tragic'),8 and 10. They are not too long and IMO are amongst the most powerful, memorable and cogent of the symphonies (others will have their own favourites).

foxandpeng

Quote from: vandermolen on October 14, 2021, 12:38:07 PM
Yes, you do Danny - no excuses accepted  ;D
Seriously I'd try (apart from the Gothic) nos 6 ('Tragic'),8 and 10. They are not too long and IMO are amongst the most powerful, memorable and cogent of the symphonies (others will have their own favourites).

Quite right, too! 😁

I've dabbled back and forth over the years, but it's been such a long time since making any serious attempt. There are no real excuses for a Brit claiming to appreciate other Brits.

I am suitably admonished 😄
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

foxandpeng

I've very much enjoyed #8, #6 and #16 again this morning. I have a passing familiarity with them, but not for ages. I think I'll bleed in a symphony a day for the next few weeks until I feel I've at least got a handle on those that are most consistently feted here.

Quote from: krummholz on October 14, 2021, 03:41:40 AM

Quote from: vandermolen on October 14, 2021, 12:01:23 PM

Tolstoy

Augustus

Well, I've listened to Faust fairly obsessively since the set arrived and I have to say I find it utterly convincing as a stage work.  Maestro Brabbins and his team have done a superb job in bringing it to life and the enthusiasm with which the singers deliver their roles is admirable.  In terms of premiere recordings of neglected English operas, this one has to be right up there with the most impressive.  What do others think?

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Augustus on November 03, 2021, 11:47:31 AM
Well, I've listened to Faust fairly obsessively since the set arrived and I have to say I find it utterly convincing as a stage work.  Maestro Brabbins and his team have done a superb job in bringing it to life and the enthusiasm with which the singers deliver their roles is admirable.  In terms of premiere recordings of neglected English operas, this one has to be right up there with the most impressive.  What do others think?

The set arrived here two weeks ago, but alas! time to listen has been in short supply. Glad to see Faust has impressed you! That Prologue in Heaven I've known and loved for decades already, so it will be terrific to be able to hear the whole thing. Now for that slot...

Augustus

Quote from: J.Z. Herrenberg on November 03, 2021, 11:59:32 AM

The set arrived here two weeks ago, but alas! time to listen has been in short supply. Glad to see Faust has impressed you! That Prologue in Heaven I've known and loved for decades already, so it will be terrific to be able to hear the whole thing. Now for that slot...

Well, at least I hope you've been able to enjoy the quality of the physical production, if not the recorded sound.  Was there ever such a glossy booklet as Dutton have lavished on this opera?!

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Augustus on November 03, 2021, 12:22:37 PM
Well, at least I hope you've been able to enjoy the quality of the physical production, if not the recorded sound.  Was there ever such a glossy booklet as Dutton have lavished on this opera?!

Yes, it looks great. And while I will always miss Malcolm MacDonald, John Pickard wears his mantle quite comfortably in his excellent liner notes.

calyptorhynchus

I got my set last week and have been observing the request for public silence until we hear it has been released.

However I noted the glossy CD booklet. The only other book I have wth this type of paper is a Guide to the Reef Fishes of Northern Australia, which you can take snorkelling. I guess you could take this one into the shower whilst listening to the CDs (player located outside the shower).
'Many men are melancholy by hearing music, but it is a pleasing melancholy that it causeth.' Robert Burton