Havergal Brian.

Started by Harry, June 09, 2007, 04:36:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on August 24, 2022, 11:35:31 PM
;D
How old was he! Then I noticed how close d and e on keyboard. ;D

Haha  ;D
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

calyptorhynchus

For some reason this reminds me of a sketch in the Glums:
Doctor (heavy German accent for some reason): "Vell, if you excuse me I have to go and see how old Lady Gladstone is."
Ron: "Don't you know how old she is?"

J.Z. Herrenberg

Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Irons

Quote from: calyptorhynchus on August 25, 2022, 01:43:17 PM
For some reason this reminds me of a sketch in the Glums:
Doctor (heavy German accent for some reason): "Vell, if you excuse me I have to go and see how old Lady Gladstone is."
Ron: "Don't you know how old she is?"

Oh Ron, oh Eth. :D
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

calyptorhynchus

News from the HB Society.

Testament are soon releasing the BBC recordings of Myer Fredman conducting the Symphonies 9, 22 and 24. I'm so pleased about this as Fredman was such a good Brian conductor (such a great conductor overall) and these are great recordings. Pity he didn't record 23.

The newsletter reprints an interview with Fredman from 1997 in which he talks about HB. The gem it got from it was that HB was a dead ringer for Bruckner (though I think Bruckner was actually quite a bit taller).

In other news the DVD of the Brisbane Gothic available. As I am in Australia already I'll be getting it directly from https://www.4mbs.com.au/products/, though you can also get it from the Society. I had heard it was available as a USB and I am enquiring from 4MBS whether this is the case.

J.Z. Herrenberg

All correct, save one thing: that Myer Fredman  disc will also contain the Eighth Symphony... Looking forward to hearing all four symphonies in pristine sound!
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

calyptorhynchus

Quote from: J.Z. Herrenberg on October 07, 2022, 08:01:19 PM
All correct, save one thing: that Myer Fredman  disc will also contain the Eighth Symphony... Looking forward to hearing all four symphonies in pristine sound!
$:)

vandermolen

Quote from: J.Z. Herrenberg on October 07, 2022, 08:01:19 PM
Great news! No.8 is a marvellous work. I think very highly of Fredman's Bax recordings as well.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

krummholz

+1.

The newsletter also contains a long discussion of Brian's Faust, another Brian work I've never heard but that sounds fascinating. (Yes, I know it's been released on CD... I'm very much behind in getting out my CD orders.)

Maestro267

Today (November 28) marks 50 years since Havergal Brian's death.