Havergal Brian.

Started by Harry, June 09, 2007, 04:36:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J.Z. Herrenberg

Listening to the Third and reading along in the score, I just finished the third movement. Brian dates it: 'Friday April 22 1932', which is on the eve of my mother's birth on the 23rd.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: J.Z. Herrenberg on May 10, 2017, 01:47:41 PM

The 8th and the 9th were the first Brian symphonies I ever heard, in 1978. The 8th spoke immediately, but the first movement of the 9th proved to be more difficult. The middle and final movements were easy. Yes, this could be an excellent Prom piece!

A P.S. to my own post. The HBS webmaster and editor of the Newsletter Martyn Becker reminded me of the fact that, of course, No. 9 was played during the 1976 Proms, with the same forces and the same conductor as on the later EMI recording - the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra under Sir Charles Groves...
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

vandermolen

Quote from: J.Z. Herrenberg on May 10, 2017, 03:41:55 PM

A P.S. to my own post. The HBS webmaster and editor of the Newsletter Martyn Becker reminded me of the fact that, of course, No. 9 was played during the 1976 Proms, with the same forces and the same conductor as on the later EMI recording - the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra under Sir Charles Groves...

Sorry I missed that one. Maybe before I knew HB's music. Still I was there for the Ole Schmidt 'Gothic' whenever that was. I was asked if I liked HB's music by the eccentric Principal of the first school I taught at during my interview there in 1978. Probably got me the job.

I like the sound of Schmidt's Aarhus parties:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/culture-obituaries/music-obituaries/7533120/Ole-Schmidt.html
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

J.Z. Herrenberg

The Schmidt 'Gothic' was in 1980.

Read the obituary. A 'three-hour' 'Gothic'?! I don't party, but I do like the idea of him improvising the accompaniment to a Chaplin movie!

vandermolen

Quote from: J.Z. Herrenberg on May 10, 2017, 10:33:07 PM
The Schmidt 'Gothic' was in 1980.

Read the obituary. A 'three-hour' 'Gothic'?! I don't party, but I do like the idea of him improvising the accompaniment to a Chaplin movie!

That's what I meant too.
Yes, 1980 - thanks Johan.
:)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

John Whitmore

Quote from: cilgwyn on May 10, 2017, 08:34:00 AM
I just posted this in the "What are you listening to now?" thread.

I'm listening to Havergal Brian's third symphony. This ambitious symphony from 1931-32 incorporates a part for two pianos. The orchestration is Brian at his most imaginative,bringing all kinds of fantastic images to mind. It has been described as Brucknerian,but to me,the only connection is in scale. The pianos weave in and out of parts of the symphony sounding (at times) for all the world as if it has been gatecrashed by a grand,romantic piano concerto;but disappear from the score later. There is no other British symphony remotedly like it from that era.
The artwork pictured here is for the only available truly commercial recording. I'm listening to Klassik Haus' remastering of the 1974 premiere recording and performance with Ronald Stevenson & David Wilde playing the pianos and the New Philharmonia Orchestra conducted by Stanley Pope,which is far superior in terms of the actual performance and sound quality. This is my favourite Brian symphony.

Here's the Klassic Haus sleeve

krummholz

Just getting caught up on this thread after a couple of years away - some 30 pages have come and gone since I last visited. I've been going through the Brian symphonies I have on CD once again - plus the off-air recording of #26 (courtesy of Johan, many thanks!). Once again enjoying their many surprising twists and turns, elaborate and sometimes manic counterpoint, darkly plodding marches, and often meltingly lyrical passages that just as easily give way to violent outbursts. What a composer! I put him easily on the same level as my longtime favorite 20th century composer (see my avatar), and in some ways I find Brian more interesting as he was still exploring new territory at an age when H. had found his final style.

It's hard to pick any favorites, partly because they all contain wonderful things, but also because I knew several of them before I started exploring the rest in 2015. I was just bowled over by #30 today and will have to give it another listen later tonight. But the 3rd remains my overall favorite, followed (in chronological order, not order of preference) by at least the Gothic, #8, #16, #18, #22, #25, and, I think, #30. I also have a soft spot for both #11 and #20. I've yet to hear #14 and #21 but hope to rectify that deficit soon.

A few days ago I ordered the new Dutton release of #2 and #14 from Amazon, and received an email yesterday saying it's been dispatched from Dutton and should arrive sometime around the 28th of this month. I'm also eagerly awaiting the announced release of #8, #21, #26 on Naxos (?) to complete the set. A lot to look forward to!

I hope everyone's summer (for those in the Northern Hemisphere) is going swimmingly!

vandermolen

Quote from: krummholz on July 13, 2017, 04:12:15 PM
Just getting caught up on this thread after a couple of years away - some 30 pages have come and gone since I last visited. I've been going through the Brian symphonies I have on CD once again - plus the off-air recording of #26 (courtesy of Johan, many thanks!). Once again enjoying their many surprising twists and turns, elaborate and sometimes manic counterpoint, darkly plodding marches, and often meltingly lyrical passages that just as easily give way to violent outbursts. What a composer! I put him easily on the same level as my longtime favorite 20th century composer (see my avatar), and in some ways I find Brian more interesting as he was still exploring new territory at an age when H. had found his final style.

It's hard to pick any favorites, partly because they all contain wonderful things, but also because I knew several of them before I started exploring the rest in 2015. I was just bowled over by #30 today and will have to give it another listen later tonight. But the 3rd remains my overall favorite, followed (in chronological order, not order of preference) by at least the Gothic, #8, #16, #18, #22, #25, and, I think, #30. I also have a soft spot for both #11 and #20. I've yet to hear #14 and #21 but hope to rectify that deficit soon.

A few days ago I ordered the new Dutton release of #2 and #14 from Amazon, and received an email yesterday saying it's been dispatched from Dutton and should arrive sometime around the 28th of this month. I'm also eagerly awaiting the announced release of #8, #21, #26 on Naxos (?) to complete the set. A lot to look forward to!

I hope everyone's summer (for those in the Northern Hemisphere) is going swimmingly!
Thank you! Welcome back. Do you know the Klassic Haus release of Symphony 3 - in some ways better than the Hypetion release? Good news about Naxos releasing No.8; that one is my favourite I think - although I also like 1-3, 6-11, 16 and 22 'Brevis'.
Charles Groves's pioneering recording of symphonies 8 and 9 features (complete with original cover image profile photo  of the composer) in the Charles Groves box set (see Frank Bridge thread).

cilgwyn

I totally agree with vandermolen regarding the earlier performance of the third symphony. The Klassik Haus release is excellent and very good value for money. If you like the Hyperion recording you will love the score even more when you hear Pope's.

krummholz

Quote from: vandermolen on July 13, 2017, 10:53:58 PM
Thank you! Welcome back. Do you know the Klassic Haus release of Symphony 3 - in some ways better than the Hypetion release? Good news about Naxos releasing No.8; that one is my favourite I think - although I also like 1-3, 6-11, 16 and 22 'Brevis'.
Charles Groves's pioneering recording of symphonies 8 and 9 features (complete with original cover image profile photo  of the composer) in the Charles Groves box set (see Frank Bridge thread).

Thanks for the welcome back, and no I do not! Their US website says they specialize in restorations - of old recordings I assume. Just how old is this one? How good is the sound? (Google says Stanley Pope died in 1995, but most recordings post 1970 or so are at least good analog...) Would very much like to hear an alternative reading of #3, and the price is not bad at all...

Re: the upcoming Naxos release of 8/21/26, I don't recall seeing the name of the orchestra and conductor posted here (maybe I missed it?), so for the record, it's Alexander Walker and the Noviya Rossiya Symphony Orchestra. I've very much enjoyed Walker's readings of 22-24 and 6/28/29/31 so am really looking forward to this one. The Naxos page on the release was last updated last September and optimistically suggests early 2017 for availability. Obviously that's come and gone... I've seen October posted here, hopefully that comes to pass!

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: krummholz on July 14, 2017, 07:04:29 AM
Just how old is this one? How good is the sound?

Pope's Third was recorded 12 Jan 1974. The sound is good broadcast quality.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

J.Z. Herrenberg

Welcome back, Krummholz! Glad to hear you're exploring the Brianic oeuvre with pleasure. As for the Klassic Haus release of the Third, I also can vouch for the sound quality. And Pope's interpretation is, to these ever older ears, still unbeaten.

John Whitmore

Quote from: krummholz on July 14, 2017, 07:04:29 AM
Thanks for the welcome back, and no I do not! Their US website says they specialize in restorations - of old recordings I assume. Just how old is this one? How good is the sound? (Google says Stanley Pope died in 1995, but most recordings post 1970 or so are at least good analog...) Would very much like to hear an alternative reading of #3, and the price is not bad at all...

Re: the upcoming Naxos release of 8/21/26, I don't recall seeing the name of the orchestra and conductor posted here (maybe I missed it?), so for the record, it's Alexander Walker and the Noviya Rossiya Symphony Orchestra. I've very much enjoyed Walker's readings of 22-24 and 6/28/29/31 so am really looking forward to this one. The Naxos page on the release was last updated last September and optimistically suggests early 2017 for availability. Obviously that's come and gone... I've seen October posted here, hopefully that comes to pass!
I've just given the Pope 3rd a spin. Great performance. The sound is stereo, good separation, very open, decent broadcast quality analogue. You don't have to "listen through it" so to speak. Don't expect spanking new digital quality though!! It's the best of the Klassic Haus Brian series in my opinion. I have them all, due to my involvement with them, but my comments about Pope's 3rd are, I hope, without any bias. Give it a try. The downloads are more than good enough so no need for the CD.

John Whitmore

Quote from: krummholz on July 13, 2017, 04:12:15 PM

I admit my complete bias here but don't forget this version of 21:
http://www.heritage-records.com/classical-orchestral-cd-album-titles/havergal-brian-the-first-commercial-recordings
Worth the investment just for the stunning version of No.10 to be honest.

Augustus

I have some Brian recording news.  A friend of mine in the ENO orchestra tells me they recently recorded a CD of Brian for Dutton with Martyn Brabbins.  The works were The Vision of Cleopatra, two choral pieces on Herrick poems, For Valour and Fantastic Variations.  He thinks it went quite well.

J.Z. Herrenberg

So, that recording is safely in the can, then. Excellent! Thanks for the news.

vandermolen

Quote from: John Whitmore on July 16, 2017, 12:26:33 AM
I've just given the Pope 3rd a spin. Great performance. The sound is stereo, good separation, very open, decent broadcast quality analogue. You don't have to "listen through it" so to speak. Don't expect spanking new digital quality though!! It's the best of the Klassic Haus Brian series in my opinion. I have them all, due to my involvement with them, but my comments about Pope's 3rd are, I hope, without any bias. Give it a try. The downloads are more than good enough so no need for the CD.
I bought another copy for an HB admiring friend who also found it excellent. Thank you for your involvement with the project.

krummholz

Quote from: John Whitmore on July 16, 2017, 12:26:33 AM

I'm sure the download is fine, but all I have on my computer is small, low-fidelity speakers and no way to burn a CD. I ordered the CD - shipping was free! Have no idea how long it will take to arrive; I don't know where they ship from, or even if they have an outlet in the US, though my guess is they do given the free shipping.

calyptorhynchus

I agree that the Pope Third is a very good recording, especially as restored by Klassichaus.*

Listening to this recently I strayed next into Mackerras' recording of the Second (also on KH) , and then I was reminded of a recent comment on the Art-Music Forum where the two official recordings of the 2nd were being discussed (the Stowe and the Brabbins). The Stowe recording was being dissed as usual, but this commentor noted that in the Stowe recording various orchestral details were easier to hear. I haven't re-listened to Stowe, but I did compare Mackerras and Brabbins and the comment holds for these too: in the Mackerras many of the 'signposts' that MacDonald refers to are audible and in Brabbins they are not, ie in an orchestral tutti the fact that there are piano chords. I wonder is this because Brabbins' recording is unbalanced, or the acoustics of the recording location makes detail disappear. It is certainly noticeable.

*Thinking of the Third I was reminded of the Hyperion recording by Friend. Whatever its merits it had the usual silly track divisions from Hyperion at that period where instead of simply the dividing the piece by movements they would try to cue analysis points using the tracks (ie Track 1 Introduction, Track 2 first subject &c) (obviously this obscures the relative lengths of the movements and could much more easily done by writing the timings in the CD booklet, ie 'at 2:05 the first subject begins...'&c). For the Third the final track was the Epilogue to the fourth movement, all four bars of it c. 25 seconds! LOL
'Many men are melancholy by hearing music, but it is a pleasing melancholy that it causeth.' Robert Burton

calyptorhynchus

'ie in an orchestral tutti....'

Meant eg of course, there are other examples.
'Many men are melancholy by hearing music, but it is a pleasing melancholy that it causeth.' Robert Burton