Havergal Brian.

Started by Harry, June 09, 2007, 04:36:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: hbswebmaster on March 31, 2020, 02:57:26 PM
Something of great interest in the news section on the HBS website.
Okay...
* hops sitewards *
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

J.Z. Herrenberg

Yes, this is exciting news! Almost as if Brian is speaking from the grave...
http://www.havergalbrian.org/news.php?id=40
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

relm1

Oh wow!!! That is very exciting news to hear there was a previously unknown symphony!!

calyptorhynchus

'Many men are melancholy by hearing music, but it is a pleasing melancholy that it causeth.' Robert Burton

krummholz

Makes one wonder if there are any more pages of this work stuffed away somewhere. Was it Brian's habit to compose directly into full score?

relm1

Quote from: krummholz on April 01, 2020, 06:15:25 AM
Makes one wonder if there are any more pages of this work stuffed away somewhere. Was it Brian's habit to compose directly into full score?

Well, tons of his works are lost or missing so the answer is definitely yes, many more pages stuffed away somewhere.

Maestro267

Why'd they do this on April Fools Day? I don't know whether to believe it or not. The annoying thing is, that fragment does sound distinctly Brianic.

Christo

Quote from: Maestro267 on April 01, 2020, 08:52:17 AM
Why'd they do this on April Fools Day? I don't know whether to believe it or not. The annoying thing is, that fragment does sound distinctly Brianic.

I indeed hear nothing but fingerprints.  :D
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

hbswebmaster

The truth can now be told - no, Brian 33 does not exist. This was an affectionate joke to the community in order to raise a smile in these straitened times. The inspired imitation was composed by none other than John Pickard, and no-one knows HB's sound-world better than he does. We hope that you all are keeping safe and well in the various parts of the world.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Haha! Brilliant! Yes, it was very late-Brian sounding, so this really convinced me. Well done, John Pickard!

relm1

Quote from: hbswebmaster on April 02, 2020, 02:59:21 AM
The truth can now be told - no, Brian 33 does not exist. This was an affectionate joke to the community in order to raise a smile in these straitened times. The inspired imitation was composed by none other than John Pickard, and no-one knows HB's sound-world better than he does. We hope that you all are keeping safe and well in the various parts of the world.

If he has enough time to do that, have him do an orchestration of Prometheus Unbound please!  The vocal score has the piano part and is extant even though the full score was lost.  We want Prometheus Unbound! We want Prometheus Unbound! [everybody] We want Prometheus Unbound!...

J.Z. Herrenberg

WE WANT PROMETHEUS UNBOUND!

Roasted Swan

Quote from: J.Z. Herrenberg on April 02, 2020, 06:21:07 AM
WE WANT PROMETHEUS UNBOUND!

Perhaps Prometheus likes being tied up..... it takes all sorts....... ;)

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Roasted Swan on April 02, 2020, 07:04:10 AM
Perhaps Prometheus likes being tied up..... it takes all sorts....... ;)
:D

krummholz

Yup, fooled me too! But I agree with Christo, lots of fingerprints, not a whole lot of substance...

Maestro267

I wouldn't expect substance from one page of manuscript. I kinda hoped April Fools would get into the sea where it belongs, what with the much bigger crisis we have on our hands right now. I was wrong.

Christo

... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Albion

I may well have missed the relevant information here, but which label has Faust been recorded for? As it's Martyn Brabbins and ENO forces (there's luxury for you) I assume it's Dutton...

:)
A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it. (SG, 1922)

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Albion on April 08, 2020, 06:21:13 AM
I may well have missed the relevant information here, but which label has Faust been recorded for? As it's Martyn Brabbins and ENO forces (there's luxury for you) I assume it's Dutton...

Yes, it's Dutton.
Keep safe!

Albion

Thanks Johan! That's great news, Dutton deserves every accolade for maintaining an enterprising output in what were already difficult commercial times.

It's sobering to think that so many scheduled recordings, concerts and music festivals are now cancelled or curtailed, but I suppose that just goes to show how fragile culture is in the face of wider global problems and tragedy.

You keep safe as well, my friend.

A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it. (SG, 1922)