Havergal Brian.

Started by Harry, June 09, 2007, 04:36:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pjme

:D :D :D Good news! I will buy that CD.

I have an old (open reel )tape of nr 5 "Wine of summer" ( Brian Rayner Cook as baritone soloist). It is an impressive,strong symphony - but since I have no longer a tape recorder....I' haven't listened to it in years.
I couldn't find the poem ( indeed, by Oscar Wilde's "Bosie") , but it is described by some as "awful"....
This is from http://www.havergalbrian.org/brianforeman.htm

Brian's hand, in pencil]

I Symphony 'Wine of Summer'.
The poem 'Wine of Summer' by Alfred Douglas must have been written in Sussex, for years ago he lived with his mother the Marchioness of Queensbury at a house not far from Lewes. The poem is of a subjective Nocturnal type quality distinction such as is met with in much of Shelley's poetry - particularly the Indian Song 'I arise from dreams of thee'. The word 'Wine' only occurs once in 'Wine of Summer' and has no relation to the Common Noun of that name.
The Symphony was composed at Upper Norwood: the first sketches were finished on Sunday April 18 1937.

II The Symphony is Scored for a large modern orchestra and Baritone soloist.
It opens with a short quiet passage for the orchestra leading to the theme announced by the Soloist with orchestra to the opening words of the poem: "The Sun holds all the earth / and all the Sky" On this theme the Symphony continues the music varied by changes of rhythm and tonality, but interrupted by several dramatic episodes by the orchestra. The climax of the Symphony is contained in the closing bars where the Soloist sings: 'I must hence. / Far off I hear night / Calling to the Sea' accompanied by the full power of the orchestra in which is heard broken fragments of the opening theme of the Symphony.

11 Atlantic Court, Shoreham by Sea, Sussex, 14' Nov. 1969
Dear Lewis Foreman, I would be glad if in my writing about the Symphony requested by you an alteration might be made by you.
I wrote____passages apart from several interruptions from the orchestra alone or something like that
I wish to alter it to:—
apart from several important passages for orchestra alone which emphasise the argument of the poem
I am puzzled how the close of the Cadenza for Solo Violin got onto the Clarinet stave.
Please make sure[?sense] of my errors and correct.
If it is no trouble I should like to see a proof of the writing about the poem & Symphony.
In my reference to Shelleys famous poem 'I arise from dreams of thee' It is labelled by Shelley Indian Serenade please see I've written correctly. I enclose a copy of the Douglas letter you need.
Sincerely, Havergal Brian

J.Z. Herrenberg

I have that same performance of 'Wine of Summer', Peter, on cassette. It's a strong work, as you say. I don't know why the BBC chose another, less impressive, performance the other day.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Dundonnell

In a letter to me-dated 30 December 1999-Malcolm MacDonald wrote that Symphony No.5 was recorded by Marco Polo along with Symphony No.11. However, Brian Rayner Cook, the soloist, was unhappy with the performance-as were several other people who heard the tapes. As a new set of sessions couldn't be scheduled, explorations went on to see if another soloist could be dubbed. These turned out to be fruitless and the recording was eventually junked(to Marco Polo's displeasure!).

Malcolm went on to write that Marco Polo was planning one new disc per year and that the next volume would be recorded in the spring(2000). It would have contained Symphonies Nos. 22, 23 and 24 coupled with English Suite No.3. I presume that this recording never took place since no such CD was ever issued.

All very sad!! Presumably those in the Brian Society have more up to date news.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Dundonnell on March 07, 2008, 02:28:21 AM
In a letter to me-dated 30 December 1999-Malcolm MacDonald wrote that Symphony No.5 was recorded by Marco Polo along with Symphony No.11. However, Brian Rayner Cook, the soloist, was unhappy with the performance-as were several other people who heard the tapes. As a new set of sessions couldn't be scheduled, explorations went on to see if another soloist could be dubbed. These turned out to be fruitless and the recording was eventually junked(to Marco Polo's displeasure!).

Malcolm went on to write that Marco Polo was planning one new disc per year and that the next volume would be recorded in the spring(2000). It would have contained Symphonies Nos. 22, 23 and 24 coupled with English Suite No.3. I presume that this recording never took place since no such CD was ever issued.

All very sad!! Presumably those in the Brian Society have more up to date news.

What you write is correct. I know Brian Rayner Cook was dissatisfied (I heard it from Alan Marshall, the Secretary of the HBS, in 1995, or thereabouts), and that that was the reason the recording was never released. Regarding the Brian series, it has effectively been discontinued, another victim of the classical music crisis.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Dundonnell

Quote from: Jezetha on March 07, 2008, 02:36:20 AM
What you write is correct. I know Brian Rayner Cook was dissatisfied (I heard it from Alan Marshall, the Secretary of the HBS, in 1995, or thereabouts), and that that was the reason the recording was never released. Regarding the Brian series, it has effectively been discontinued, another victim of the classical music crisis.

"The classical music crisis" which we hear about so often and which undoubtedly has led to the vast reduction in recordings made by the major record companies does not seem to inhibit the smaller companies from recording and releasing rare repertoire which must have a limited market. Naxos itself releases a very substantial number of CDs each month. Companies like CPO in Germany have a recording schedule which includes series of compositions which must have a limited appeal to the general public. Naxos are recording the symphonies of the Portugese composer Luis Freitas Branco, CPO appears to have committed itself to the complete symphonies of Julius Rontgen(over 20 of them!) and Henk Badings and has almost completed its set of the complete Weingartner symphonies. This is not exactly core repertoire!

I don't resent this-FAR from it!! I just simply don't understand the argument that music like this will sell but Brian won't!

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Dundonnell on March 07, 2008, 03:03:11 AM
I just simply don't understand the argument that music like this will sell but Brian won't!

Perhaps. But I remember MM writing somewhere that Brian's music was expensive to produce - it's demanding, often involves large orchestras, it's written in an idiom that conductors and players have to assimilate, for which there isn't the time, apart from the fact that there still aren't that many buyers out there in the first place (though more exposure and better performances could create an audience)... So the 'Brian problem' remains. I don't think another label will start another Brian series in the near future, nor will anyone pick it up where Marco Polo left off, more's the pity.

I hope I am overly pessimistic...  :-\

Johan

Dundonnell

I accept that Brian's music is difficult for orchestras and conductors to assimilate and perform but two BBC orchestras have performed Symphonies Nos. 5 and 30 in broadcasts this week. Would it not have been possible for there to have been a recording link-up as has happened in the past with other works? CPO obviously use radio broadcasts of performances in this way.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Dundonnell on March 07, 2008, 03:27:23 AM
I accept that Brian's music is difficult for orchestras and conductors to assimilate and perform but two BBC orchestras have performed Symphonies Nos. 5 and 30 in broadcasts this week. Would it not have been possible for there to have been a recording link-up as has happened in the past with other works? CPO obviously use radio broadcasts of performances in this way.

The 30th was performed quite well - only a few glitches here and there. But that Fifth as the only available recording? I found the soloist very flat and uninspired; he sounded as if he had the age that befits the poem without the vocal abilities to make that into a moving fact; as the baritone is the centre of attention in 'Wine of Summer', I don't think I'd listen to that performance very often...

springrite

Quote from: Jezetha on March 03, 2008, 08:50:51 AM
That double LP - is that the pirated recording of the Boult 'Gothic', on Aries?

It is in storage right now, and I can't remember if it is the Aries.

No, the 2fer is not available. It is only available from private sellers for a price.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Jezetha on March 07, 2008, 03:46:25 AM
The 30th was performed quite well - only a few glitches here and there. But that Fifth as the only available recording? I found the soloist very flat and uninspired; he sounded as if he had the age that befits the poem without the vocal abilities to make that into a moving fact; as the baritone is the centre of attention in 'Wine of Summer', I don't think I'd listen to that performance very often...

Perhaps he is less than an ideal soloist but I'd still buy the recording. Better that than nothing! You know, the BBC includes a CD with their magazine so pressing a CD couldn't be that expensive. And since it would be the only recording available, it would sell.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on March 07, 2008, 05:03:30 AM
Perhaps he is less than an ideal soloist but I'd still buy the recording. Better that than nothing! You know, the BBC includes a CD with their magazine so pressing a CD couldn't be that expensive. And since it would be the only recording available, it would sell.

Sarge

I have the (superior) 1976 performance on cassette. That's my problem (or luxury...), Sarge.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Jezetha on March 07, 2008, 05:10:08 AM
I have the (superior) 1976 performance on cassette. That's my problem (or luxury...), Sarge.

I have absolutely no problem with BBC giving us that one instead.  :)

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Dundonnell

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on March 07, 2008, 05:03:30 AM

Sarge

What an EXCELLENT idea!! Not that the BBC would do it of course :(

I too have the Brian broadcasts from the 70s on tape but-as pjme-the tapes are reel-to-reel and my old tape player is bust :( :(

J.Z. Herrenberg

I'd like to draw attention to Brian's Third, yesterday, on BBC Radio Three. I listened to it and it's not the same performance as on the Hyperion CD. This is another one recorded at the Maida Vale studios (in 1988), before a live audience, which included me. I think this performance is better than on the CD, so I urge every Brianite to Listen Again (and record it, if they can). I will... The symphony starts around 4:00:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio3/afternoonon3/pip/czlw2/

J.Z. Herrenberg

Just received the HBS Newsletter (by email). One nice item concerns a bus named after Brian (!). The Editor comments humorously:

Who was it who said that Brian was 'long on parentheses and short on transitions'? Anyway, I've always been convinced of the truth of this remark which does not bode well for passengers on the bus who, presumably, will be treated to extensive diversions down country lanes, suddenly finding themselves at their destination without understanding how they got there.

Look for Brian on the list:

http://history.buses.co.uk/history/fleethist/672hb.htm

lukeottevanger

I like the bio, skirting the borders of accuracy as it does!  ;D Should we be surprised that the bus pictured is 'out of service', Marco Polo style?

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: lukeottevanger on March 09, 2008, 02:34:38 PM
I like the bio, skirting the borders of accuracy as it does!  ;D Should we be surprised that the bus pictured is 'out of service', Marco Polo style?

Well it actually reads 'Not in service', which captures Brian's proud, unbending character quite well, I think...  ;)

lukeottevanger

So it does - that puts a rather more positive spin on it. ;)

lukeottevanger

BTW, does anyone know if there were any hidden Brianic gems on the recent R3 broadcasts other than the symphonies? I know there was a partsong broadcast on the same day as the 5th - happily, I managed to record it - but of course being a small piece it wasn't listed on the website, so I'm worried there might be other such splinters from the workbench up for grabs. But I don't really have time to listen to all 8 hours to find out.

J.Z. Herrenberg

As I indicated earlier, I did listen to the Third. The presenter didn't say that any other Brian work was on offer, so I don't think you are missing out on any 'Brianic gems', Luke.

Btw - at the forthcoming AGM of the HBS, Malcolm MacDonald will be presenting volume two (at last) of 'Havergal Brian on music'. A pity I can't be there.