Havergal Brian.

Started by Harry, June 09, 2007, 04:36:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hattoff

I'm another longtime Brian fan and it's good to see so much interest in him. I caught two little hidden gems on last weeks broadcast. The first was "Shall I compare thee to a summers day" which I once had on a reel to reel tape and have not heard for years. The second was "Sweet Solitude". I believe there was a third but I missed it.

lukeottevanger

Quote from: Hattoff on March 10, 2008, 07:01:31 AM
I'm another longtime Brian fan and it's good to see so much interest in him. I caught two little hidden gems on last weeks broadcast. The first was "Shall I compare thee to a summers day" which I once had on a reel to reel tape and have not heard for years. The second was "Sweet Solitude". I believe there was a third but I missed it.

Do you happen to remember which day([s) these two were broadcast? I missed them, but I managed to record another (O happiness celestial fair), which I assume is the third one you are referring to. Recording quality isn't all it could be, though, and I'd urge anyone who can do a better job to catch last week's broadcasts whilst they are still available.

Thanks

Hattoff

Brian "sweet solitude"  04/03/08 just before 17:00 hrs
Brian "shall I compare thee to a summer's day" 03/03/08 also just before 17:00 hrs
If you have trouble with the sound quality get back to me.

lukeottevanger

Thank you! The earlier one is no longer available  >:( >:( (if anyone has it..... :-* :-* ) but I'm scanning through for the other one right now

Hattoff

Okay,  I'll get back to you.
Steve

Dundonnell

Great Day indeed!! 1975 was the year in which Lyrita issued Symphonies Nos. 6 and 16 on vinyl: one of my most treasured albums over the last 33 years.

And now today I am at last able to listen to these two stupendous symphonies on CD, to marvel at the genius of this great composer and to be so grateful that Myer Fredman could inspire the London Philharmonic Orchestra of its day to such truly splendid performances!

If you have this CD on order then you are in for a treat! (The Arnold Cooke Symphony No.3 is a good work too-Hindemithian, busy, well-constructed but sadly, from its point of view, does rather suffer by comparison. Maybe Lyrita should have put it first on the CD? Best perhaps not to listen to the Cooke immediately after the Brian?)

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Dundonnell on March 13, 2008, 10:25:24 AM
Great Day indeed!! 1975 was the year in which Lyrita issued Symphonies Nos. 6 and 16 on vinyl: one of my most treasured albums over the last 33 years.

And now today I am at last able to listen to these two stupendous symphonies on CD, to marvel at the genius of this great composer and to be so grateful that Myer Fredman could inspire the London Philharmonic Orchestra of its day to such truly splendid performances!

If you have this CD on order then you are in for a treat! (The Arnold Cooke Symphony No.3 is a good work too-Hindemithian, busy, well-constructed but sadly, from its point of view, does rather suffer by comparison. Maybe Lyrita should have put it first on the CD? Best perhaps not to listen to the Cooke immediately after the Brian?)

Ah... I know what you express so eloquently.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

lukeottevanger

I've spent the last few days re-immersing myself in HB (and in the three MacDonald volumes). My primary emotion - I'm am staggered all over again by this music and its creator. He was, in a genuine sense, a Hero (capital H), wasn't he? Sustained dignity, passion, humour, imagination, courage, conviction, energy, humility.

[to HB skeptics - I apologise for the gushiness here! HB admirer will know what I mean, I hope]

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Dundonnell on March 13, 2008, 10:25:24 AM
If you have this CD on order then you are in for a treat!

I do have it ordered and I'm a bit annoyed I've not received a message saying it's on its way to me.

Sarge

Edit: They must've heard me grumbling  ;D  I just checked my email and there was a message from MDT: HB is in the mail  8)
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: lukeottevanger on March 13, 2008, 10:52:45 AM
I've spent the last few days re-immersing myself in HB (and in the three MacDonald volumes). My primary emotion - I'm am staggered all over again by this music and its creator. He was, in a genuine sense, a Hero (capital H), wasn't he? Sustained dignity, passion, humour, imagination, courage, conviction, energy, humility.

[to HB skeptics - I apologise for the gushiness here! HB admirer will know what I mean, I hope]

Preach on, brother Luke!
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

lukeottevanger

QuotePreach on, brother Luke!

0:) I take my reading from MacDonald III, chapter 33  0:)

Quotewhat impresses one most strongly in his symphonies is the raw, unquenchable will to survive, to fight, to go on making music at all costs against external and internal disasters - and still to have his private jokes against the slow wits under the wise wigs. He is the 'Awkward Cuss' who will do no man's bidding but his own, cunning enough to survive into the mellowed old age of a 'Geriatric Prodigy': the Working Man as Great Composer, crafty through and through

BachQ

Quote from: lukeottevanger on March 13, 2008, 10:52:45 AM

We haven't witnessed a gush-a-thon of this magnitude since 71dB's defunct Elgar thread ........  :D

lukeottevanger

Quote from: Dm on March 13, 2008, 11:52:03 AM
We haven't witnessed a gush-a-thon of this magnitude since 71dB's defunct Elgar thread ........  :D

Well, exactly, I thought it about time  ;D  Mendelssohn (just for example  0:) ) isn't really a glamorous enough figure to gush about, it seems to me, but Brian? Now there's a real composer!  >:D ;D

J.Z. Herrenberg

Havergal Brian has been the composer who sustained me during the most difficult years of my life. Long may his music live.

A review by Rob Barnett:

http://www.musicweb.uk.net/classrev/2008/Mar08/Brian_Cooke_SRCD295.htm
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Dundonnell

Quote from: Jezetha on March 13, 2008, 01:00:16 PM
Havergal Brian has been the composer who sustained me during the most difficult years of my life. Long may his music live.

A review by Rob Barnett:

http://www.musicweb.uk.net/classrev/2008/Mar08/Brian_Cooke_SRCD295.htm

Rob Barnett makes the point that there are no connections between Brian and Cooke. While I understand what he means, Brian was actually an admirer of Arnold Cooke's music. In 1936 Brian hailed the 30 year old Cooke as one of the most promising young British composers and praised his ability "to think and breathe contrapuntally"(Musical Opinion). It is therefore quite a nice juxtaposition of the two composers on the new CD.

Cooke is certainly a most worthy and craftsmanlike composer whose music merits rediscovery. He is not, however, a composer of the same stature as HB.

vandermolen

Quote from: Dundonnell on March 13, 2008, 02:28:10 PM
Rob Barnett makes the point that there are no connections between Brian and Cooke. While I understand what he means, Brian was actually an admirer of Arnold Cooke's music. In 1936 Brian hailed the 30 year old Cooke as one of the most promising young British composers and praised his ability "to think and breathe contrapuntally"(Musical Opinion). It is therefore quite a nice juxtaposition of the two composers on the new CD.

Cooke is certainly a most worthy and craftsmanlike composer whose music merits rediscovery. He is not, however, a composer of the same stature as HB.

Very interesting. Why don't you let Rob Barnett know this? He'll probably add it on to his Music Web review.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

not edward

Well, here goes for my first experience of the Gothic. If I don't get interrupted, I'll be back for comments in a couple of hours. ;)
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: edward on March 14, 2008, 02:49:10 PM
Well, here goes for my first experience of the Gothic. If I don't get interrupted, I'll be back for comments in a couple of hours. ;)

Travel safely!  $:)

Dundonnell

Quote from: vandermolen on March 13, 2008, 11:53:26 PM
Very interesting. Why don't you let Rob Barnett know this? He'll probably add it on to his Music Web review.

Have done and he will!

Thanks, for that Jeffrey.

vandermolen

Quote from: Dundonnell on March 14, 2008, 09:18:43 PM
Have done and he will!

Thanks, for that Jeffrey.

It's there already!

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).