Havergal Brian.

Started by Harry, June 09, 2007, 04:36:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapio Dimitriyevich Shostakovich

Jezetha, I wanted to download #8 of you, but hey: Mediafire is terribly slow, 9 kb/s here in old Europe, (axis of the good).

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Dundonnell on October 27, 2008, 06:43:15 AM
Be sure to give him my regards...if you get this message, of course! :)

Hi, Colin! Christo read your post and has done what you wanted... Well, I have just returned from Leiden and a wonderful afternoon and evening was had by all. Christo will undoubtedly post some pictures of our historic meeting, which also featured Jeffrey's lovely wife and daughter.

Quote from: Wurstwasser on October 27, 2008, 08:07:55 AM
Jezetha, I wanted to download #8 of you, but hey: Mediafire is terribly slow, 9 kb/s here in old Europe, (axis of the good).

Wurstwasser, would it help you if I uploaded it to Rapidshare? What speed is your broadband connection?
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Dundonnell

Quote from: Jezetha on October 27, 2008, 03:13:27 PM
Hi, Colin! Christo read your post and has done what you wanted... Well, I have just returned from Leiden and a wonderful afternoon and evening was had by all. Christo will undoubtedly post some pictures of our historic meeting, which also featured Jeffrey's lovely wife and daughter.

Wurstwasser, would it help you if I uploaded it to Rapidshare? What speed is your broadband connection?

Excellent news! Glad it went so well :) :) (I am jealous :))

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Dundonnell on October 27, 2008, 03:57:26 PM

Your time will come, Colin, your time will come.  :)
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: springrite on October 27, 2008, 07:08:30 AM
Seems like we have enough people here for a mini Brian Society Chapter, and the first board meeting is about to take place...

Listening to Brian Violin Concerto in the meantime...

One Brian's most beautiful works, I think...

John Copeland

Quote from: Dundonnell on October 27, 2008, 03:57:26 PM

Yes Colin.  I too would like to meet up with some members of this board.  Perhaps if we're both here next Spring we can meet up in Perth and plan an assault on somewhere like Zeelandic Flanders, and head North for some meetings and general Classical malarkey.
Meantime guys, I am moving home, and will not be online for a wee while as it is a rather complicated than normal move...will explain sometime!  It should have taken place just before Summer but didn't, but now it is...Mind you, while I'm waiting for new connections to be sorted out (and indeed the new flat), I might get a Vodafone hub for my laptop so I can still keep yapping.  Should be back before Xmas for sure though.

Dundonnell

Quote from: mahler10th on October 27, 2008, 06:48:52 PM
Yes Colin.  I too would like to meet up with some members of this board.  Perhaps if we're both here next Spring we can meet up in Perth and plan an assault on somewhere like Zeelandic Flanders, and head North for some meetings and general Classical malarkey.
Meantime guys, I am moving home, and will not be online for a wee while as it is a rather complicated than normal move...will explain sometime!  It should have taken place just before Summer but didn't, but now it is...Mind you, while I'm waiting for new connections to be sorted out (and indeed the new flat), I might get a Vodafone hub for my laptop so I can still keep yapping.  Should be back before Xmas for sure though.

Absolutely! We are not that far apart after all ;D

I hope the move goes smoothly and without too much trauma. Haste ye back...as the road signs say as one leaves Scotland :)

Tapio Dimitriyevich Shostakovich

Quote from: Jezetha on October 27, 2008, 03:13:27 PMWurstwasser, would it help you if I uploaded it to Rapidshare? What speed is your broadband connection?
Yes, RS would help. I'm on a 1.7mByte/s line and have an RS account.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Wurstwasser on October 27, 2008, 10:45:51 PM
Yes, RS would help. I'm on a 1.7mByte/s line and have an RS account.

Excellent. And, btw, I am on a 1.7mByte/s line, too, and have an RS account!

Watch this space.

http://rapidshare.com/files/158271475/Brian_8.mp3

donaldopato

Ah yes, Havergal Brian...allow a newbie a bit of time to possibly rehash what has likely discussed before.

As a conductor friend of mine stated, "Brian is an acquired taste". True, but one (like good scotch) that I am glad I acquired. Criticized for being "quirky" and writing "clunky" music, it is those two traits that give his music such individuality; a stand out in an increasingly homogeneous musical world. A great orchestral colorist, his orchestration may challenge an orchestra's balance, but there is no dispute for me at least, that when it works, it is amazingly effective. The end of the 6th, the concertante piano in the 3rd just to name a couple of great Brian moments. I think the end of the neglected 10th is one of the most imaginative in a modern work, letting the percussion have the last word is brilliant.

I could go on.. suffice to say, I hope to join in the Brian discussion frequently.
Until I get my coffee in the morning I'm a fit companion only for a sore-toothed tiger." ~Joan Crawford

J.Z. Herrenberg

Great to hear from you, Donaldopato!

Dundonnell

Quote from: donaldopato on October 28, 2008, 05:10:19 AM
Ah yes, Havergal Brian...allow a newbie a bit of time to possibly rehash what has likely discussed before.

As a conductor friend of mine stated, "Brian is an acquired taste". True, but one (like good scotch) that I am glad I acquired. Criticized for being "quirky" and writing "clunky" music, it is those two traits that give his music such individuality; a stand out in an increasingly homogeneous musical world. A great orchestral colorist, his orchestration may challenge an orchestra's balance, but there is no dispute for me at least, that when it works, it is amazingly effective. The end of the 6th, the concertante piano in the 3rd just to name a couple of great Brian moments. I think the end of the neglected 10th is one of the most imaginative in a modern work, letting the percussion have the last word is brilliant.

I could go on.. suffice to say, I hope to join in the Brian discussion frequently.

I have already welcomed you in another thread  to the this site but I do so again with even greater enthusiasm as a fellow HB admirer :) :)

Lilas Pastia

Another spin to the EMI disc of 8 and 9. I definitely root for 8, which I recognized at once. Previous encounters did let the music sink in, somewhat to my surprise. It's as if I had known it for years (which is the actually the case, but you know what I mean :D. I also 'got' the 9th, but it's rather more fragmented, less continuous in its discourse. Beautiful recording and playing. I wish there would be more of that caliber.

Dundonnell

Quote from: Lilas Pastia on November 02, 2008, 06:49:16 PM
Another spin to the EMI disc of 8 and 9. I definitely root for 8, which I recognized at once. Previous encounters did let the music sink in, somewhat to my surprise. It's as if I had known it for years (which is the actually the case, but you know what I mean :D. I also 'got' the 9th, but it's rather more fragmented, less continuous in its discourse. Beautiful recording and playing. I wish there would be more of that caliber.

Sir Charles Groves was a very fine conductor(and a very nice man) who did a tremendous amount of really excellent work in the concert hall, opera house and recording studio! During his terms as principal conductor of the(now) BBC Philharmonic Orchestra, the Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra and the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra he conducted an enormous number of British compositions, many of them by unfashionable composers. Fortunately he left a considerable recorded legacy of which the Brian disc is but one example...but what fine performances indeed. Pity he didn't get to do more Brian :(

Now....off to listen for the first time to Arnell's 1st and 6th symphonies!  Excited ;D ;D

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Dundonnell on November 03, 2008, 05:13:23 AM
Sir Charles Groves was a very fine conductor(and a very nice man) who did a tremendous amount of really excellent work in the concert hall, opera house and recording studio! During his terms as principal conductor of the(now) BBC Philharmonic Orchestra, the Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra and the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra he conducted an enormous number of British compositions, many of them by unfashionable composers. Fortunately he left a considerable recorded legacy of which the Brian disc is but one example...but what fine performances indeed. Pity he didn't get to do more Brian :(

Now....off to listen for the first time to Arnell's 1st and 6th symphonies!  Excited ;D ;D

Well, I know (iirc) he did conduct Part One of "The Gothic" during the Brian Centenary Festival in 1976. And Sir Charles Groves also did the Ninth then (again iirc). I remember reading a review in an early Havergal Brian Society Newsletter, where it was maintained that this is the reason his recorded performance of the Ninth is better than that of the Eighth. The Eighth was rehearsed in the studio only a few times and then recorded.

springrite

I had the Gothic with me on my lecture trip and listened to it twice while on the train. I had much better feel about it than I did previously. In fact, the part one was magnificent this time around (which somehow eluded me the previous 4 or 5 times). The Part Two is also better than what I remembered, but still failed to hold my attention, nothing like part one.

I gave part one a third listening as the train approached Beijing. Good stuff!  Not sure when I will give enough time for this piece (I mean as a whole including part two) again. If I can, I will do so within a week or two or it will probably be put into the bottom of the pile again.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: springrite on November 10, 2008, 03:41:20 AM
I had the Gothic with me on my lecture trip and listened to it twice while on the train. I had much better feel about it than I did previously. In fact, the part one was magnificent this time around (which somehow eluded me the previous 4 or 5 times). The Part Two is also better than what I remembered, but still failed to hold my attention, nothing like part one.

I gave part one a third listening as the train approached Beijing. Good stuff!  Not sure when I will give enough time for this piece (I mean as a whole including part two) again. If I can, I will do so within a week or two or it will probably be put into the bottom of the pile again.

Paul, I find the idea that Brian should sound in a Chinese train absolutely mind-blowing and moving... Glad to see you're slowly but surely getting the measure of this monster. (Btw - one of my best friends is a Sinologist, she's writing a PhD thesis about Chinese literature. In one week's time she's off to China for three months to do field work in Beijing and Shanghai.)

springrite

Quote from: Jezetha on November 10, 2008, 03:52:32 AM
Paul, I find the idea that Brian should sound in a Chinese train absolutely mind-blowing and moving...

It would be even more so had it been on one of those old fashioned steam engines instead of the state of the art 280km/hr bullet model.

Quote from: Jezetha on November 10, 2008, 03:52:32 AM
Btw - one of my best friends is a Sinologist, she's writing a PhD thesis about Chinese literature. In one week's time she's off to China for three months to do field work in Beijing and Shanghai.

Good for her! She can call me when she's in Beijing. The number will be in PM. Is it too late to ask for a CD or two of Polish music that is NOT from the Big Two?

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: springrite on November 10, 2008, 03:58:29 AM
It would be even more so had it been on one of those old fashioned steam engines instead of the state of the art 280km/hr bullet model.

;D

QuoteGood for her! She can call me when she's in Beijing. The number will be in PM. Is it too late to ask for a CD or two of Polish music that is NOT from the Big Two?

You mean Karlowicz?! Others? Fire away!

springrite

Quote from: Jezetha on November 10, 2008, 04:13:25 AM

You mean Karlowicz?! Others? Fire away!

I know nothing about Polish music post 1950 other than Luto and Pendi! So I rely on your judgment.