Havergal Brian.

Started by Harry, June 09, 2007, 04:36:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drogulus

I've listened to the 7th more than any other Brian, and it's the happiest, fun-est symphony of the 20th century, which by my recollection was not exactly a barrel of laughs musically or any other wise.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Guido

Quote from: drogulus on August 20, 2010, 01:10:23 PM
    I've listened to the 7th more than any other Brian, and it's the happiest, fun-est symphony of the 20th century, which by my recollection was not exactly a barrel of laughs musically or any other wise.

Not one I have - is this one that has a commercial recording?
Geologist.

The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

drogulus

Quote from: Guido on August 20, 2010, 01:44:02 PM
Not one I have - is this one that has a commercial recording?

Yes, a very good one with Mackerras and the Royal Liverpool PO. It's available with this 2 CD set:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

drogulus

Another one I really love is the flute symphony, No. 27, which I think is sourced from a radio broadcast from the late '70s. It's MacKerras again, this time with my favorite orchestra, the Philharmonia.

Lethevich

I really dig the 27th, perhaps in part due to the unusually good performance it gets in that broadcast. I wish somebody would licence it to CD, as I'd like to own a copy.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Klaatu

Quote from: vandermolen on August 20, 2010, 12:12:43 PM
Very exciting new historical Dutton release (super-budget) includes Havergal Brian's 9th and 11th symphonies - two of the best.

Thanks for alerting me to this one, Vandermolen.

Dutton really are the dogs b******s when it comes to releasing both new and long-forgotten recordings of the long-forgotten minor works of major British composers and the major works of long-forgotten British composers.

( :-X What the heck did I just say? )

Let's hope this could be a prelude to Dutton finding and releasing some more archive recordings of HB symphonies - maybe they could fill the gaps in the abandoned Marco Polo cycle.

DavidW

I checked on arkivmusic and there are only two recordings of the Gothic symphony in print.  I thought this was a famous symphony?! ???  What gives?  Does everyone listen to the one on naxos then?  And it's good right?

MN Dave

Quote from: DavidW on October 21, 2010, 06:16:12 AM
I checked on arkivmusic and there are only two recordings of the Gothic symphony in print.  I thought this was a famous symphony?! ???  What gives?  Does everyone listen to the one on naxos then?  And it's good right?

It's only famous on GMG.  ;D

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: MN Dave on October 21, 2010, 06:20:28 AM
It's only famous on GMG.  ;D

And only in the Brian threads. Elsewhere, utterly unknown. Seriously, only a few of us have actually heard the work.

Good enough...only it's my opinion that one needs both Lenard and Boult. But then, I'm crazy for the Gothic...or perhaps, just crazy  ;D

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Brian

I listened to my first Brian Havergal today. Eighteenth Symphony, only 14 minutes long. It was a nice work, although I haven't gone mad and subscribed to this thread yet.  :D

MN Dave

Quote from: Brian on October 21, 2010, 08:16:57 AM
I listened to my first Brian Havergal today. Eighteenth Symphony, only 14 minutes long. It was a nice work, although I haven't gone mad and subscribed to this thread yet.  :D

Shun the thread!

DavidW

Haha Brian!  I was going to search for Brian, and then I thought of you ::) so I added Gothic.  Now of course if you change your title to Gothic Brian I'll be totally screwed for future searches! :D :D

DavidW

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on October 21, 2010, 07:51:45 AM
Good enough...only it's my opinion that one needs both Lenard and Boult. But then, I'm crazy for the Gothic...or perhaps, just crazy  ;D

Sarge

Cool beans Sarge! :)

Mirror Image

Quote from: DavidW on October 21, 2010, 08:48:34 AM...so I added Gothic.

Oh it's truly a great symphony, but it's so massive. My suggestion, not that you need any help, but is to take it a bit slow at first. There's so many ideas that are being bombarded at you that you just have to take two steps back and breathe a minute. It's a beautiful work and is really my favorite favorite Brian symphony.

Hope you enjoy it! Which one did you get? The one on Naxos (originally on Marco Polo) or Boult's recording?

DavidW

greg

If it weren't for GMG, I would just know it as "the longest symphony ever recorded." It was mentioned Mahler's 3rd is "the longest symphony in the repertoire," which I guess implies that Brian 1st is hardly ever performed.

Quote from: Brian on October 21, 2010, 08:16:57 AM
Man, I could fit about 4 or 5 Brian symphonies on one CD... (actually, I have several like this)

Mirror Image

Quote from: DavidW on October 21, 2010, 08:05:13 PM
I went with naxos. :)

Excellent choice. There are some flaws with that recording (the microphone placements in the second part being one of them), but it is remarkable that such a project came together. The liner notes are also quite good, so be sure to check those out.

Albion

Hi, I've just joined the forum. As my name implies I'm a British music fanatic - I wonder if anybody could point me in the direction of recordings of Brian's Symphonies 21, 22, 24 and the Elegy (1954). I followed the link to Jezetha's wonderful mp3 emporium earlier in this thread, but these works aren't included. Any help gratefully received!
A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it. (SG, 1922)

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: albion on December 13, 2010, 11:17:52 PM
I wonder if anybody could point me in the direction of recordings of Brian's Symphonies 21, 22, 24 and the Elegy (1954). I followed the link to Jezetha's wonderful mp3 emporium earlier in this thread, but these works aren't included. Any help gratefully received!

They aren't? Really? I'm sure that's where I found 22 and 24. In any case I uploaded the mp3s to Rapidshare. You can download here:

http://rapidshare.com/files/436878541/Brian_22.mp3

http://rapidshare.com/files/436880825/Brian_24.mp3

21 was once available on CD:

You might try looking in the usual places (Ebay, Amazon) for a used copy.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Albion

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on December 14, 2010, 05:34:46 AM
I uploaded the mp3s to Rapidshare. You can download here:

http://rapidshare.com/files/436878541/Brian_22.mp3

http://rapidshare.com/files/436880825/Brian_24.mp3

Many thanks for providing these links - I've checked Jezethas's list again (http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=191b3b8d4da3c14f8c9e7c56ba37815ff04eac5398a24e6c) and I think they've gone from there. Now to try and hunt down No.21!
A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it. (SG, 1922)