Havergal Brian.

Started by Harry, June 09, 2007, 04:36:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Klaatu

Hi Albion.

As far as Brian 21 and 22 are concerned, check Youtube - someone has posted both symphonies there (although No 21 is split into four sections.)

Also on Youtube is the 1970s documentary "The Unknown Warrior" which first introduced me to Brian's music in my teenage years. Essential viewing!

Albion

Quote from: Klaatu on December 14, 2010, 01:51:39 PM
Hi Albion.

As far as Brian 21 and 22 are concerned, check Youtube - someone has posted both symphonies there (although No 21 is split into four sections.)

Also on Youtube is the 1970s documentary "The Unknown Warrior" which first introduced me to Brian's music in my teenage years. Essential viewing!

Thanks again for all these helpful links - I'm planning to have a Havergal Brian Christmas (well, there'll be nothing on the television worth watching), working through as much as I can chronologically, aided by Malcolm Macdonald's three-volume survey. To put out the begging-bowl again, please could anybody help with a recording of the 'Symphonic Poem' Elegy (1954)? It was performed by the BBC Northern SO under Brian Wright in December 1978.
A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it. (SG, 1922)

vandermolen

What we need is a recording of Symphony No 10 by a professional orchestra. The Unicorn CD, which I have is great but I'd love to hear this work done by one of the big London orchestras for example, or the RLPO.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: albion on December 15, 2010, 07:08:19 AM
Thanks again for all these helpful links - I'm planning to have a Havergal Brian Christmas (well, there'll be nothing on the television worth watching), working through as much as I can chronologically, aided by Malcolm Macdonald's three-volume survey. To put out the begging-bowl again, please could anybody help with a recording of the 'Symphonic Poem' Elegy (1954)? It was performed by the BBC Northern SO under Brian Wright in December 1978.

I'll upload Elegy for you. Not immediately though: Mrs.Rock is currently hogging all our bandwidth. I'll try later tonight.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Klaatu

Quote from: vandermolen on December 15, 2010, 07:23:41 AM
What we need is a recording of Symphony No 10 by a professional orchestra. The Unicorn CD, which I have is great but I'd love to hear this work done by one of the big London orchestras for example, or the RLPO.

Couldn't agree more! The question is, who would conduct? Myer Fredman made a great job of 6 and 16; he'd be a great choice.

Perhaps Dutton Vocalion could be persuaded to produce another of their excellent discs, with a professionally-played Brian 10 alongside 3 or 4 other shortish works by neglected Britons?

Sergeant Rock

J.Z. Herrenberg

Hello, everyone! It's been a very long time... I'm glad to see people are finding my Brian folder useful. It's strange 'Elegy' has disappeared from the list, because I'm quite sure I uploaded it. Oh well, Sergeant Rock has stepped into the breach... I'm excited at the prospect of the Gothic performance in Brisbane. And I can't wait to see the DVD about the whole saga of getting this piece performed at all.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Jezetha on December 15, 2010, 01:47:09 PM
Hello, everyone! It's been a very long time... I'm glad to see people are finding my Brian folder useful. It's strange 'Elegy' has disappeared from the list, because I'm quite sure I uploaded it. Oh well, Sergeant Rock has stepped into the breach... I'm excited at the prospect of the Gothic performance in Brisbane. And I can't wait to see the DVD about the whole saga of getting this piece performed at all.

Hey, dude! Great to see you here again. It's been too long. How is the book coming?

Sarge

J.Z. Herrenberg

Hi, Sarge! Well, the book's the reason I've disappeared off the radar... What can I tell you - last Saturday was the presentation, in Amsterdam, of a collection of short stories to which I have contributed: my first book publication. The big novel I'm finishing (around 800 pages at the moment) I'm going to publish in two parts. Part 1 will appear next year, part 2 a year later. Several publishers have shown interest. Here is a nice link, where you can see me written about and photographed... http://www.rnw.nl/suriname/article/surinaamse-schrijver-van-nu-durft-meer There is also an interview (around 4:51 - me).
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

J.Z. Herrenberg

Re Brian's Tenth - there will be a new recording, coupled with the Concerto for Orchestra, to be released by Dutton somewhere in the near future. I'll have to look through my HBS Newsletters to see which orchestra and conductor... Here it is:

"Four three-hour recording sessions for the forthcoming
Dutton disc of Brian's Symphonies 10 and 30, Concerto
for orchestra and English suite 3 took place at 1000 and
1430 each day on Wednesday 15 and Thursday 16
September.  Martyn Brabbins was conducting the Royal
Scottish National Orchestra."

The recording will be issued first quarter 2011.

Lethevich

Wow, what wonderful news. A few years ago all seemed gloomy on the Brian front, and now suddenly a Gothic reissue, a Gothic performance, various interesting discs appearing or soon to! :)

Also, welcome back Jezetha, and well done on the book - so many people enjoy the idea of writing, but never get around to finishing anything. I see that you have the killer instinct! ;D
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Albion

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on December 15, 2010, 12:50:40 PM
Here's the link to Elegy

http://rapidshare.com/files/437157389/Brian_Elegy.mp3

Sarge
Sarge, many thanks for this!

Quote from: Jezetha on December 15, 2010, 02:31:20 PM
Re Brian's Tenth - there will be a new recording, coupled with the Concerto for Orchestra, to be released by Dutton [...] first quarter 2011.
This is fantastic news - can't wait to hear the Concerto. Dutton has advanced in leaps and bounds over the past few years to become the company for interesting British repertoire - as with Lyrita in days of old, it is always exciting to anticipate what will be included in their next set of releases.
A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it. (SG, 1922)

vandermolen

I am celebrating the return of Jezetha (great news about the book - how exciting!) as as  much as the forthcoming CD of Havergal Brian Symphony No 10 on Dutton.  :D
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Luke

Jezetha's return has vastly cheered up a pretty dismal few days! What a sight for sore eyes  :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

karlhenning

Quote from: Jezetha on December 15, 2010, 02:16:47 PM
Hi, Sarge! Well, the book's the reason I've disappeared off the radar... What can I tell you - last Saturday was the presentation, in Amsterdam, of a collection of short stories to which I have contributed: my first book publication. The big novel I'm finishing (around 800 pages at the moment) I'm going to publish in two parts. Part 1 will appear next year, part 2 a year later. Several publishers have shown interest. Here is a nice link, where you can see me written about and photographed... http://www.rnw.nl/suriname/article/surinaamse-schrijver-van-nu-durft-meer There is also an interview (around 4:51 - me).

Wait! Why is this buried in the Havergal Brian thread? Are only Brianiacs entitled to the news!? ; )

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on December 16, 2010, 08:48:03 AM
Wait! Why is this buried in the Havergal Brian thread? Are only Brianiacs entitled to the news!? ; )

It's a very select club...you have to prove that you've listened to the entire Gothic at least 12 times before allowed news of Jezetha.

Sarge

karlhenning

Don't know if I'm ready for that Rite of Passage . . . .

Scarpia

It has never seriously occurred to me to listen to a Brian symphony, and I think the reason is simply that there are too many of them.  It seems impossible that the man had enough to say to fill dozens of symphonies, so I am confronted with the task of separating the wheat from the chaff, and it has to be mostly chaff.  I can't summon the enthusiasm for it.  Similar problem with Weinberg. When you read notes to a Weinberg piece it often includes a statement to the effect that "it is unknown if the work was ever performed."  But since I ended up hearing a Weinberg piece more or less by accident and liked it I am over the barrier.

karlhenning

Quote from: Scarpia on December 16, 2010, 11:13:29 AM
It has never seriously occurred to me to listen to a Brian symphony, and I think the reason is simply that there are too many of them.  It seems impossible that the man had enough to say to fill dozens of symphonies . . . .

Of course you do say seems . . . it's something we could not know without giving it a listen.  And neither have I summoned the will to investigate Brian.  (I'm still feeling a bit disappointed in [relatively] recent sallies into the symphony cycles of Milhaud and Pettersson.)

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Scarpia on December 16, 2010, 11:13:29 AM
It has never seriously occurred to me to listen to a Brian symphony, and I think the reason is simply that there are too many of them.  It seems impossible that the man had enough to say to fill dozens of symphonies, so I am confronted with the task of separating the wheat from the chaff, and it has to be mostly chaff.  I can't summon the enthusiasm for it.

You apply the same argument to avoid listening to Mozart (41 symphonies) or Haydn (104)?

Sarge