Havergal Brian.

Started by Harry, June 09, 2007, 04:36:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lethevich

@ Scarpia: I feel that Brian is somewhat insulated from unevenness given his personal situation:

1. Almost totally ignored, so he wrote music for himself rather than to make money
2. His symphonies are so numerous a) because they are rather brief, and b) because he wrote little else towards the end, and had the time to spend on them

But either way, you have a way out: Brian wrote his larger symphonies early in his career, and it was in his later works from No.12+ where he began to produce increasingly concise works at a rapid rate. If you want to put those aside for now, it's still easy to explore his output just from that initial dozen or so - nos.6-10 form something of a core, and sadly this does mean that the EMI twofer is an essential purchase. If you have trouble finding it drop me a PM.

The ones Jezetha linked are great choices.

Quote from: Klaatu on December 16, 2010, 03:05:27 PM
My advice would be to start with the Lyrita reissue of Brian 6 and 16. Simply because I think they're to date the best played versions of any Brian works. Also because they show the composer at his most lyrical (No 6) and his most impenetrable (No 16) - a work which I hated on first hearing but absolutely love now! (You really have to learn your way into this stuff; No 16 is for me one of HB's very greatest works.)

The added bonus is that if you can't stand the Brian pieces the disc also sports a fine performance of Cooke's 3rd!
I can't help but agree with this as well, not only because the two Brian performances on that disc are very well-recorded and played, but also because I love Cooke's 3rd and have blabbed about it endlessly on this forum.

Edit: I think one further way to explain the appeal of the cycle to the converted is its "Lord of the Rings" appeal. Constantly looking for links between the works - debating which form "trilogies" or little integral cycles - generally just exploring the craggy topography is one of the more rewarding classical experiences I've had.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Lethe on December 16, 2010, 10:04:24 PM

Edit: I think one further way to explain the appeal of the cycle to the converted is its "Lord of the Rings" appeal. Constantly looking for links between the works - debating which form "trilogies" or little integral cycles - generally just exploring the craggy topography is one of the more rewarding classical experiences I've had.

Spot on! It goes even further than that - the First World War inspired both Tolkien and Brian to their central works - LOTR and The Gothic, monuments to the passing of an age. Brian's work is full of marches, battles and mourning, but also full of sometimes bizarre ideas, humour and visionary vistas. Tolkien and Brian both worked ceaselessly on their respective worlds, two men (both of small stature!) from the English Midlands.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

vandermolen

Quote from: Jezetha on December 16, 2010, 02:18:26 PM
Thanks, Jeffrey. It is that quality of dogged perseverance which I have always admired in Brian and which has really inspired me the last 30 years. It will be interesting to see whether I - after completing my 'Gothic' - will also live to a ripe 96, completing another 31 novels in the process!

Well, I certainly hope so and I also hope for an English translation too!
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Scarpia

Quote from: Lethe on December 16, 2010, 10:04:24 PM
@ Scarpia: I feel that Brian is somewhat insulated from unevenness given his personal situation:

1. Almost totally ignored, so he wrote music for himself rather than to make money
2. His symphonies are so numerous a) because they are rather brief, and b) because he wrote little else towards the end, and had the time to spend on them

But either way, you have a way out: Brian wrote his larger symphonies early in his career, and it was in his later works from No.12+ where he began to produce increasingly concise works at a rapid rate. If you want to put those aside for now, it's still easy to explore his output just from that initial dozen or so - nos.6-10 form something of a core, and sadly this does mean that the EMI twofer is an essential purchase. If you have trouble finding it drop me a PM.

The ones Jezetha linked are great choices.
I can't help but agree with this as well, not only because the two Brian performances on that disc are very well-recorded and played, but also because I love Cooke's 3rd and have blabbed about it endlessly on this forum.

Ok, now you've got me curious....

Hattoff

Good news from the HB website :D They now have free downloads of symphonies Nos 8 & 12, go here:  http://www.havergalbrian.org/download.htm
And, it's good news about the Dutton releases  :D

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Hattoff on December 18, 2010, 11:29:07 AM
Good news from the HB website :D They now have free downloads of symphonies Nos 8 & 12, go here:  http://www.havergalbrian.org/download.htm
And, it's good news about the Dutton releases  :D

Hi, Hattoff! It's good hearing from you. And thanks for that link - I had forgotten about those free downloads, because I listened to them some months ago already. The Eighth especially is very interesting. You can never have too many Brian performances...
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Albion

Some rather unexpected but fantastic news -  Havergal Brian's Gothic symphony is being performed at the Proms July 17, 2011 with the BBC National Orchestra of Wales conducted by Martyn Brabbins!  :o ;D :o ;D :o

A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it. (SG, 1922)

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: albion on December 19, 2010, 12:22:33 AM
Some rather unexpected but fantastic news -  Havergal Brian's Gothic symphony is being performed at the Proms July 17, 2011 with the BBC National Orchestra of Wales conducted by Martyn Brabbins!  :o ;D :o ;D :o

Where did you read the news? I checked the RAH site and there are no listings for July yet.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Albion

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on December 19, 2010, 02:41:59 AM
Where did you read the news? I checked the RAH site and there are no listings for July yet.

Sarge

On the musicweb site, under 'notices': http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2010/DEC10/listing.htm
A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it. (SG, 1922)

Sergeant Rock

Albion

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on December 19, 2010, 05:03:23 AM
Cool. Do you know when Proms tickets usually go on sale?

Sarge

Usually around the middle of May.

J.Z. Herrenberg

GMG member Dundonnell - Colin Mackie - just posted the same news on Facebook. There was an enormous explosion here in Delft, when I read it - inside my head!!!

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Jezetha on December 19, 2010, 05:37:13 AM
GMG member Dundonnell - Colin Mackie - just posted the same news on Facebook. There was an enormous explosion here in Delft, when I read it - inside my head!!!

This is tremedous news. I honestly thought I'd never hear the Gothic live.

Sarge

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on December 19, 2010, 05:47:38 AM
This is tremedous news. I honestly thought I'd never hear the Gothic live.

Sarge

Brianites of all countries, unite! You have nothing to lose but some cash!

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Jezetha on December 19, 2010, 05:55:45 AM
Brianites of all countries, unite!

I'm sure all twelve of us will show up  ;D

Sarge

J.Z. Herrenberg

Klaatu

THE GOTHIC!! AT THE PROMS!!! NEXT YEAR!!!
:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
YEEEE-HAAAHHH!!!!!!!!!!

(Recovering composure).....er.......sorry.........um..........yes, well, that's a bit of jolly good news, isn't it?

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: albion on December 20, 2010, 07:00:25 AM
I think I might have finally worked it out!

Hi Albion! I was at the movies with my daughter - the latest Narnia installment... 'The Tigers' uploaded would be terrific! I know it and have it, but only on mouldy tape cassettes... If you encounter any problems, mail me.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Klaatu on December 20, 2010, 01:22:34 AM
THE GOTHIC!! AT THE PROMS!!! NEXT YEAR!!!
:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
YEEEE-HAAAHHH!!!!!!!!!!

(Recovering composure).....er.......sorry.........um..........yes, well, that's a bit of jolly good news, isn't it?

Calm down, dear!

{there was an explosion in Delft, too, when news reached me - inside my head!}

Albion

I've finally managed to upload my transcript of Havergal Brian's The Tigers:

http://www.mediafire.com/?fm6zmepcgdcjb

3-8 January 1983 (recording) / 3 May 1983 (broadcast BBC Radio 3)
Teresa Cahill (soprano)  Mrs Freebody/Lady 1
Alison Hargan (soprano)  Columbine/Female in car/Lady Stout
Marilyn Hill-Smith (soprano)  Lady 2/Toy seller
Ameral Gunson (mezzo soprano)  Lady 3
Ann Marie Owens (alto)  Costerwoman/Sweetmeat seller
Paul Crook (tenor)  Artist/Bishop/Clergyman 2/Cook 2
Harry Nicoll (tenor)  Constable 1/Pantalon
John Winfield (tenor)  Coster/Clergyman 1/Cook 1/Old clothes seller
Kenneth Wollam (tenor)  Man on elephant/Man in tweeds
Ian Caddy (baritone)  Coster 1/Gentleman 1/Policeman 1
Malcolm Donnelly (baritone)  Colonel Sir John Stout
Henry Herford (baritone)  Gentleman 2
Alan Opie (baritone)  Clergyman 5/Napoleon/Young man
Alan Watt (baritone)  Coster 3/Clergyman 3/Fruitseller/Policeman 2
Norman Welsby (baritone)  Billposterer/Clergyman 4/Elephant keeper/Man's voice/Police sergeant
Richard Angas (bass-baritone)  Alexander the Great/Crier/Constable 2/Guard/Policeman 3
Eric Shilling (bass-baritone)  Officer/Regimental sergeant major/Voices
Denis Wicks (bass)  Coster 2/Clergyman 6/Red Indian
BBC Singers  The Tigers/Crowds
BBC Symphony Orchestra, conductor Lionel Friend
producer Elaine Padmore