Havergal Brian.

Started by Harry, June 09, 2007, 04:36:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lethevich

I agree that the 7th is the ultimate Brian intro, it lacks much of the "tough nut" quality of the chronologically surrounding works. It has such a velvety, brooding Romantic/gothic mood (explicit, opposed to the 1st's philosophising).
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Christo

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on March 08, 2011, 08:11:47 AM
That would be good news if Dutton accepted my credit card. But they are the only web store that's refused it. Oh well, I'll wait until its available from Amazon.

Sarge

I think it's there for a couple of days already: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Havergal-Brian-Symphony-Concerto-Orchestra/dp/B004RO2L5W/ref=sr_1_19?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1299961354&sr=1-19
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Christo on March 12, 2011, 11:26:00 AM
I think it's there for a couple of days already: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Havergal-Brian-Symphony-Concerto-Orchestra/dp/B004RO2L5W/ref=sr_1_19?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1299961354&sr=1-19

I've been looking for it but searchs at amazon uk of Havergal Brian didn't, and still don't turn up the item for me. Since you provided a link it's obviously there though. Thanks!

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

vandermolen

Quote from: J on March 09, 2011, 03:02:18 PM
The "Tragica" (No.6) not included?  For me, Nos. 6, 8, & 10 stand heads above any of the others (exceptional as some of those are also).

You are right - I should have included No 6 - a great work and I was delighted when it appeared on Lyrita.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Hattoff

The Dutton disc turned up this morning. Well early. A surpassing of expectations, the orchestral playing is wonderful and the sound quality is unbelievably good. A treat for all here.
Still waiting for the Cello Concerto disc.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Hattoff on March 14, 2011, 01:58:19 AM
The Dutton disc turned up this morning. Well early. A surpassing of expectations, the orchestral playing is wonderful and the sound quality is unbelievably good. A treat for all here.
Still waiting for the Cello Concerto disc.

After days of natural disasters, this counts as a sorely-needed cultural blessing. I am VERY glad to read this!
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Sergeant Rock

the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

cilgwyn

My copy of the new Dutton cd, pre-ordered via the Dutton website, of Symphony No 10 (& all the other things on it) dropped through the letterbox this morning.!

cilgwyn

To be fair,after a precursory listen,the old Leicestershire Schools Symph recording stands up pretty well & if it IS ever re-released on cd,and I don't think it ever has (?),I WOULD buy it. In fact their performance is etched in my memory to such a degree,the tempi on parts of the new performance actually sounded 'wrong'. And,please note,I don't mean that literaly,it's just the way you hear a piece in your head! Also,the coupling of No 21 seemed ideal & please,if there's any cd labels planning more HB,could we have a new recording of THAT one. Although,if memory serves me correctly,I have to say,the Leicestershire bunch were better at No 10. Okay,that's enough grumbling. Thank you VERY much Dutton!
After that it was Karajan's old 60's performances of Beethoven's 1st & the 'Eroica'! More HB later.........

J

Quote from: cilgwyn on March 14, 2011, 10:26:09 AM
To be fair,after a precursory listen,the old Leicestershire Schools Symph recording stands up pretty well & if it IS ever re-released on cd,and I don't think it ever has (?),I WOULD buy it.

In fact, the Leicestershire performance was released on a Unicorn CD probably almost 2 decades ago now.

It's still around, even though Unicorn itself is now defunct of course.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

cilgwyn

Uh-oh,I missed that one. Doh! Thanks for the link. Now to find out if I'm just hearing that one through rose tinted ears.
The Hull Youth Symphony recordings,I have to say, were a different kettle of fish. Yet they tried,they were brave & their 'Festal Dance' really was miles more fun than that dreary,humourless, Naxos performance. On the other hand,those wierd,strained slightly off key strings really did warp my under standing of Brian for a while,though. Sitting through parts of those performances really was like listening to fingernails scraping a school blackboard. Yet,strangely enough,however much they left to desire,(allot!),they did possess an enthusiasm & fervour that some of those more polished Naxos performances lacked.
Hope someone can give us a professional performance of the 'English Suite No 1' before long!

J.Z. Herrenberg

I agree - those Hull Youth Orchestra recordings were technically (sometimes) disastrous, but what they lacked in rock-solid intonation (those violins!), they made up for in enthusiasm. I still like their Doctor Merryheart, First English Suite and Fantastic Variations (in my memory, that is, for I don't have the LPs or CDs).

I'll be listening to the Dutton CD soon and see what Brabbins does with (to?!) Nos 10 and 30...

cilgwyn

Yes,there it is,the Unicorn cd of HB I missed,only by twenty years,on Amazon.com. A photo to of the sleeve with a rock strewn mountain scape on the front,which seems oddly appropriate. I like Unicorn,a pity they went down. It must be a rare cd now. I have done dozens of searches for Brian cd's & lp's over the years & this has never come up. Maybe,I'm just unlucky.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: cilgwyn on March 14, 2011, 12:23:19 PM
Yes,there it is,the Unicorn cd of HB I missed,only by twenty years,on Amazon.com. A photo to of the sleeve with a rock strewn mountain scape on the front,which seems oddly appropriate. I like Unicorn,a pity they went down. It must be a rare cd now. I have done dozens of searches for Brian cd's & lp's over the years & this has never come up. Maybe,I'm just unlucky.

I have it. Do you want the links to No 21, too?

P.S. The disc looks coffee-coloured, but it is still playable (just tested it).

cilgwyn

Oh,not knocking the Dutton cd. I'm just suprised at how well the old Leicestershire Schools Orch version stands up. Incidentally,I just looked for the old Hull Youth Sym recordings & found the cd set at a very low price. Unfortunately,I have bought some cd's & dvd's from this vendor which have turned out to be dodgy. On the other hand I also got some rare recordings off them at very low prices which other sellers ask huge prices for & they have,to date,always given my money back. So I have decided to take a chance on it as if they are in 'very good' condition' and don't look like Torville & Dean have been skating on them & the cd player actually gets past '0' I WILL have got a bargain,cross fingers,touch wood!

cilgwyn

Thanks very much for the offer,but I have access to that one.

cilgwyn

Nice cover photo. I wonder what 'Mountain' it is? It doesn't look like Snowdon!

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: cilgwyn on March 14, 2011, 12:37:25 PM
Nice cover photo. I wonder what 'Mountain' it is? It doesn't look like Snowdon!

I have been to Snowdon (took a lazy cable car to the summit...) The booklet enclosed only says the photo was made by one Nigel Brandt. That's all...

cilgwyn

Thankyou. An odd query,but I always look at the small print when I get a cd to see who the painting is by,or the location of a photo! The music is more important obviously. At least, I hope so!!!