Havergal Brian.

Started by Harry, June 09, 2007, 04:36:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cilgwyn

And Havergal Brian ISN'T a neglected composer here!

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: cilgwyn on March 28, 2011, 10:22:33 AM
And Havergal Brian ISN'T a neglected composer here!

No, and this has even come to the attention of John Grimshaw, Chairman of the Havergal Brian Society. He finds it, he wrote to me, "amazing how long the Brian thread is when compared to many other composers!" But as Luke wrote earlier - there is still so much to discover and discuss. If this planet lasts another century, things might look very different for Brian in 2111...
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Scarpia

I actually have a Brian disc in my shopping cart.

[asin]B0014FLGRQ[/asin]
:)

Lethevich

That disc is a bulletproof choice - even if you don't find immediate access to Brian's style, only a puppy-drowner could dislike Cooke's 3rd :P
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

J.Z. Herrenberg

I am awe-struck, Scarpia. The Brianic world awaits your verdict with bated breath...
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

cilgwyn

If you click on the album (above) the Amazon reviewer describes Brian's Symphony No 16 as mostly 'atonal rambling'!

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: cilgwyn on March 29, 2011, 05:42:11 AM
If you click on the album (above) the Amazon reviewer describes Brian's Symphony No 16 as mostly 'atonal rambling'!

The perpetrator is a P. Weber, from LA. Brian Vigilantes will know what to do - play No. 16 to the man as often as is needed to get him see the error of his way.

cilgwyn

I suppose some of Brian's later music does push the boundaries a little,but atonal? Maybe I'll have another go at my Roger Sessions cd. Now he IS atonal! (The only atonal cd in my collection. I'm open minded,but it just doesn't do anything for me).

karlhenning

"Atonal" is one of those words which often gets slung about by people who don't actually understand what it means ; )

cilgwyn

J.Z. Herrenberg

Brian

Quote from: cilgwyn on March 29, 2011, 05:42:11 AM
What, no honking?

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on March 29, 2011, 07:29:35 AM
Knowledge is Brian.
0:)

Luke

Quote from: cilgwyn on March 29, 2011, 06:38:24 AM
I suppose some of Brian's later music does push the boundaries a little,but atonal?

No, he isn't, not even at his most extreme (I'm not sure that even the final crazy brass+timpani flurried in the Gothic aren't essentially tonal, despite everything). It's the elipticality and compression of Brian's thought which can confuse the ear, harmonically - but in fact, as a harmonist, looked at purely 'vertically,' he's not extreme at all*. It's not the chords themselves that produce 'the Brian sound' but the speed and fluidity with which they move.

* like Janacek, in this - the chords are mostly triads in both, in fact.

Scarpia

Quote from: Apollon on March 29, 2011, 07:25:13 AM
"Atonal" is one of those words which often gets slung about by people who don't actually understand what it means ; )

But they're the ones who really experience music the most deeply.   0:)

karlhenning

Good thing I hadn't just taken a sip of my coffee!

cilgwyn

And can we please have a cycle of Roger Sessions symphonies. Seriously,Sessions IS an interesting composer,but sporadic helpings of just two or three symphonies,however well performed & recording,REALLY don't help. With a composer like Sessions you REALLY need to be able to follow the way his musical though processes evolve.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Luke on March 29, 2011, 07:45:36 AM
No, he isn't, not even at his most extreme (I'm not sure that even the final crazy brass+timpani flurried in the Gothic aren't essentially tonal, despite everything). It's the elipticality and compression of Brian's thought which can confuse the ear, harmonically - but in fact, as a harmonist, looked at purely 'vertically,' he's not extreme at all*. It's not the chords themselves that produce 'the Brian sound' but the speed and fluidity with which they move.

* like Janacek, in this - the chords are mostly triads in both, in fact.

Correct. The biggest stumbling block is understanding Brian's way of thinking and structuring. And I must say - even I, who have no difficulties at all with his idiom, can't really put clearly into words how every section fits into the whole, and how and why Brian jumps from one thing to another. In his best works it all feels natural. Take the Concerto for Orchestra, just released by Dutton - how Brian manages to start out as grimly as he does and still end the work 'logically' in the most festive manner, I can't understand rationally, but I can feel it.

Mirror Image

You know I find it very curious that a company like CPO hasn't undertaken a Brian symphony cycle. It seems like this would be right up the label's alley? I mean they seem to make a habit of promoting more neglected composer's works. I mean they recorded the symphonies of Milhaud, Pettersson, Atterburg, Rangstrom, Frankel, etc., why can't they record Brian? The SWR Radio Symphony Orchestra would be the ideal orchestra for Brian I think. They have a great brass section. :D

Scarpia

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 29, 2011, 08:23:25 AM
You know I find it very curious that a company like CPO hasn't undertaken a Brian symphony cycle. It seems like this would be right up the label's alley? I mean they seem to make a habit of promoting more neglected composer's works. I mean they recorded the symphonies of Milhaud, Pettersson, Atterburg, Rangstrom, Frankel, etc., why can't they record Brian? The SWR Radio Symphony Orchestra would be the ideal orchestra for Brian I think. They have a great brass section. :D

Well, I think there would no problem mounting a Brian cycle if enthusiasm for Brian on this board were matched in the world at large.  Naxos started a Brian cycle but was unable to sustain it.  If you consider the scope of Naxos's recording program, that says something.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Il Barone Scarpia on March 29, 2011, 08:26:36 AM
Well, I think there would no problem mounting a Brian cycle if enthusiasm for Brian on this board were matched in the world at large.  Naxos started a Brian cycle but was unable to sustain it.  If you consider the scope of Naxos's recording program, that says something.

Yes, I realize and understand Brian's neglect, but the same could be said for Pettersson, Atterberg, etc. and they're cycles were recorded. I don't know many people who are enthusiastic about Pettersson's music, do you? My point is CPO seems to be a label for neglected composer's music whether the works were popular during their lifetimes or not. I think they really need to do a cycle.