Havergal Brian.

Started by Harry, June 09, 2007, 04:36:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Johnwh51 on March 29, 2011, 01:16:55 PM
Cilgwyn, I think our friend from Holland may have a link to the Unicorn. If not then I am happy to share.

Well, I have 10 & 21 on standby, so to speak. But if cilgwyn really wants the CD...
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

cilgwyn

No.thank you for the offer,but I think I'll resist for the time being. I think you need it more than me. Anyway,I have the cd-r's & to be honest I have just spent a bit of a packet on some historical recordings. Some very strange people actually prefer listening to a couple of blokes playing into a horn or a 1920's microphone rather than something in state of the art digital sound. (I've got Dan Godfrey's 1920's recordings of VW's 'London Symphony' on at the moment.) But not all the time I hasten to add!
Brian's 'Gothic' could have been recorded in 1928!

NB: Dan Godfrey strikes me as a much better conductor than the jobber he's made out to be by some,judging by these recordings. Very impassioned playing & the swish of the shellac only adds to the evocative atmosphere.
Symposium have done a good job. Recommended!!!

cilgwyn

Oskar Fried recorded Mahler's 3rd & Bruckner's Seventh in front of a horn. I reckon a 1928 shellac recording of the 'Gothic' would have been a doddle for him!

Scarpia

Quote from: cilgwyn on March 29, 2011, 02:12:55 PM
the swish of the shellac only adds to the evocative atmosphere.

Why not record the shellac swishing at the end of one of your 78s and superimpose it on those newfangled digital recordings.  Then again, why not have shellac swishers in the concert hall!

cilgwyn

cilgwyn

I remember the first time I heard Elgar's recordings of his own music. I actually had this thought in my head. How do I KNOW it's really Elgar? It  could be some bloke in a studio mixing in a bit of snap,crackle and hiss. A bit of the old Joyce Hatto!
  Oh,and why not? A bit of shellac ambience. That's what computers are for. God,I could have saved myself a packet!!!

cilgwyn

Or I could discover a pile of previously unknown 78's of Oskar Fried conducting an abridged 'Gothic' in my attic. I could be famous!

cilgwyn

It just occurred to me that the liveliest performance of 'Dr Merryheart' after the Hull Youth SO one is the one on the Dutton cd of radio broadcasts. The Naxos comes third!

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: cilgwyn on March 30, 2011, 08:41:35 AM
It just occurred to me that the liveliest performance of 'Dr Merryheart' after the Hull Youth SO one is the one on the Dutton cd of radio broadcasts. The Naxos comes third!

Hm. That's with Del Mar, isn't it? It has been a few months, but I remember I thought he was a bit too slow in the great lyrical passage, making it sound too romantic = not totally Brianic.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

cilgwyn

I'll have another listen.

karlhenning

Quote from: Il Barone Scarpia on March 29, 2011, 01:12:26 PM
One thing I know, I never want to hear the "Gothic."  (I can't fathom chorus and orchestra pieces, generally.)   Which is the "other" disc?

The 17/32/plus Naxos disc that Johan wots of:

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on March 29, 2011, 01:17:36 PM
You mean with Nos. 17 and 32? Well, the 'Gothic' is the stronger piece. But I like No. 17 in the BBC performance very much, too...

FWIW, Scarps, the first rumor I heard of the Gothic (more than ten years ago), I wasn't at all sure I wanted to hear the piece, either.  The tempered enthusiasm here began to alter that, I was becoming somewhat curious about the piece ityself, and then Luke's advocacy sealed it.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Apollon on March 30, 2011, 11:23:37 AMThe tempered enthusiasm here

Understatement of the day.  :D

John Whitmore

Quote from: Il Barone Scarpia on March 29, 2011, 02:18:58 PM
Why not record the shellac swishing at the end of one of your 78s and superimpose it on those newfangled digital recordings.  Then again, why not have shellac swishers in the concert hall!

Reminds me of Charles Ives' famous quote: "What's sound got to do with music?". Perfectly true. I've been revisiting some of Walter Goehr's old mono Concert Hall records and the music making just makes you forget the sound quality. You just sort of listen through it.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Johnwh51 on March 30, 2011, 01:03:17 PM
Reminds me of Charles Ives' famous quote: "What's sound got to do with music?". Perfectly true. I've been revisiting some of Walter Goehr's old mono Concert Hall records and the music making just makes you forget the sound quality. You just sort of listen through it.

I recognise this - the vision carries all before it, and the perfection of the recorded sound loses (some of) its importance. I had to use all my aural archeology to listen through muddy Brian recordings the past 25 years, and try to assess the quality of the works in question.

Scarpia

Listening the Havergal Brian, Symphony No 8, Groves.  Wow, this is good.  Howcome you guys never told me how good this stuff is?   ;D

J.Z. Herrenberg

Sorry for having guarded Brian's music jealously for so long, brother Scarpia...

Here, btw, is a review (from 1978) of the Groves recording of symphonies 8 and 9, by David Rudkin. It is by no means uncritical of Havergal Brian, but fair. (I found it on that great resource, JStor, which I can access through the Royal Library in The Hague.)

http://www.mediafire.com/file/fkxd7k2xkrjscnw/David%20Rudkin%20-%20Review%20of%20Brian%27s%208th%20and%209th%20%281978%29.pdf

And here a review by Christopher Norris from 1975, of the Lyrita recording of Symphonies 6 & 16 and the CBS recording with Symphony No. 22, Psalm 23 and the English Suite No. 5 (with the LSSO):

http://www.mediafire.com/file/ttk8pf7h2qcq5y5/Review%20by%20Christopher%20Norris%20of%20the%20Lyrita%20and%20CBS%20Brian%20LPs.pdf

J.Z. Herrenberg

A nice photo (by Calotyp46 on Flickr) of a bust of HB by sculptor Richard Thomas, as exhibited at the Potteries Museum & Art Gallery, Hanley, Staffordshire.

karlhenning

Really sporting of Aaron Copland to sit as a model for another composer's bust!

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Apollon on March 31, 2011, 03:32:29 AM
Really sporting of Aaron Copland to sit as a model for another composer's bust!

That's the kind of guy he was. Havergal was off writing another symphony.

:D

karlhenning

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on March 31, 2011, 03:35:38 AM

That's the kind of guy he was. Havergal was off writing another symphony.

:D

He certainly makes Aaron seem . . . lazy by comparison ; )

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on March 31, 2011, 02:42:14 AM
Havergal Brian Symphony #8 B flat minor, Groves conducting the RLPO

Sarge

You guys! (Aye, Scarps, too.)  As my final music purchase for a month, I went and pulled the trigger on this two-fer.