Havergal Brian.

Started by Harry, June 09, 2007, 04:36:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J.Z. Herrenberg

Just checked the site of the Havergal Brian Society. A new addition: an introductory talk on Brian's music  (58 minutes) by Malcolm MacDonald. I haven't yet listened to it myself, but I will...

http://www.havergalbrian.org/hb_mm.mp3

Added: I have just learned that symphonies 22-24 and English Suite No. 1 will now be recorded in June (by Naxos).
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Lethevich

I cross my fingers that Naxos completing the cycle doesn't discourage other labels like Dutton from duplicating recording of performances - especially of the older Marco Polo ones.

I wish I could be more enthusiastic about the inbound Naxos disc but I'm not sure that they are the label to really produce the most ideal recordings of the music. I'll still be buying the disc, of course.

Thanks for the link as well!
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

J.Z. Herrenberg

I fully share your concern, Sara. The Naxos Brian cycle has been a mixed bag, whereas both Dutton CDs are wonderful... Let's wait and see (listen, rather).

MM's introduction is excellent. Heartily recommended to anyone wanting a short, sharp idea of what Brian is all about.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Lethevich

Listening now, thanks! This is a more professional job than I had anticipated - also, the fellow has a very distinctive voice.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on April 08, 2011, 01:21:55 PM
Added: I have just learned that symphonies 22-24 and English Suite No. 1 will now be recorded in June (by Naxos).

I'm more excited about this than Lethe. If the Naxos series isn't ideal it's still preferable to nothing, and recordings of 22-24 will fill a serious gap and be very welcomed by me. MacDonald says: "I believe that if the three were performed together....the result would enhance them all. They would be seen as Prelude-Exposition, Developement and Triumphal Finale plus Epilogue in a grand unified design."

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Lethevich

:) I hadn't considered that - it will definitely cool to hear symphonic "brothers" alongside each other rather than the usual potpourri. I'm most looking forward to a label making a professional recording of the 27th - it has a little more breathing space than some of the other late works, which makes the usual density of content a little easier to understand. I think that's why it was an early favourite for me when I heard the Mackerras broadcast courtesy of Johan.

J.Z. Herrenberg

My next 'dream' CD would be Brabbins on Dutton, with symphonies 13, 14, 27 and 28. If I were a millionaire...

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on April 09, 2011, 04:21:55 AM
If I were a millionaire...

You will be, Johan, as soon as your novel makes the Dutch equivalent of the NY Times Best Sellers list  8)

Sarge

J.Z. Herrenberg

I think, Sarge, I'll attract a small following of persevering souls (already have them), just like HB. And you know how affluent he was...

not edward

Any word on the performers on the Naxos disc?
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: edward on April 09, 2011, 06:09:27 AM
Any word on the performers on the Naxos disc?

If nothing has changed except the recording date, it's the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra, conducted by James Judd.

karlhenning

Well, it's a good band, and I like the other recordings I've heard with Judd.

J.Z. Herrenberg

This made me do a double-take just now:

1967  April 15  The Simpsons visit the Brians

(Malcolm MacDonald, The Symphonies of Havergal Brian, vol. 2, p. 285)

J.Z. Herrenberg

It's official -

Sunday 17 July
7.00pm – c. 9.00pm
Royal Albert Hall

Choral music and singing events
Brian
Symphony No. 1 in D minor, 'The Gothic' (110 mins)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/proms/whats-on/2011/july-17/5

:o :D :)

Booking for BBC Proms

Booking opens at 9.00am on Saturday 7 May:
- online at www.royalalberthall.com
- by telephone on 0845 401 5040*
- in person at the Royal Albert Hall

vandermolen

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on April 08, 2011, 01:21:55 PM
Just checked the site of the Havergal Brian Society. A new addition: an introductory talk on Brian's music  (58 minutes) by Malcolm MacDonald. I haven't yet listened to it myself, but I will...

http://www.havergalbrian.org/hb_mm.mp3

Great to see Symphony No 22 back again - I remember it well from a very old CBS LP.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

karlhenning

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on April 14, 2011, 07:17:51 AM
It's official -

Sunday 17 July
7.00pm – c. 9.00pm
Royal Albert Hall

Brian

Booking for BBC Proms

Très cool!

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Apollon on April 14, 2011, 08:46:32 AM
Très cool!

Indeed. The online ordering system seems to be nerve-wracking, by the way, with no certainty if you'll get your seat... I think I'll write to the Havergal Brian Society to ask whether it can reserve tickets for members... It would be sad not to be able to attend.

Quote from: vandermolen on April 14, 2011, 08:30:25 AM
Great to see Symphony No 22 back again - I remember it well from a very old CBS LP.

So do I. With English Suite No. 5 and Psalm 23...

vandermolen

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on April 14, 2011, 07:17:51 AM
It's official -

Sunday 17 July
7.00pm – c. 9.00pm
Royal Albert Hall

Brian

Booking for BBC Proms

Very exciting news - I hope to be there if I possibly can. Which of the Simpsons will be conducting?
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: vandermolen on April 14, 2011, 08:51:54 AM
Very exciting news - I hope to be there if I possibly can. Which of the Simpsons will be conducting?

Lisa. The saxophone wasn't enough for her.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: vandermolen on April 14, 2011, 08:30:25 AM

I was just listening to it the other day...posted my scan of the cover in the listening thread.

Sarge