Havergal Brian.

Started by Harry, June 09, 2007, 04:36:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cilgwyn

I recently put the Forlane recordings of the 'Symphonic Variations' and 'Dances' from 'The Tigers' on a cd-r (no annoying break!) coupled with the Dutton performance of the 'English Suite No 3'. They make an ideal coupling.
If only the Second English Suite would turn up! That might have made an even better coupling. 'Night portraits' sounds right up my street & very,very intriguing! I wonder what the chances of it lying somewhere forgotten are? But I understand the HBS has been looking for lost works like this for years. Didn't they have an 'investigations officer' of some kind?
I'll have to dig out my genuine gwaun valley hazel wood dowsing pendulum!!!

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: cilgwyn on April 16, 2011, 03:55:57 PM
I recently put the Forlane recordings of the 'Symphonic Variations' and 'Dances' from 'The Tigers' on a cd-r (no annoying break!) coupled with the Dutton performance of the 'English Suite No 3'. They make an ideal coupling.
If only the Second English Suite would turn up! That might have made an even better coupling. 'Night portraits' sounds right up my street & very,very intriguing! I wonder what the chances of it lying somewhere forgotten are? But I understand the HBS has been looking for lost works like this for years. Didn't they have an 'investigations officer' of some kind?
I'll have to dig out my genuine gwaun valley hazel wood dowsing pendulum!!!

You're right. But nothing has been heard from him in years. I think he's lost, too. So dig out your pendulum!

Seriously, that Second English Suite sounds indeed intriguing and it's a great pity it has disappeared. If more people had cared about HB's music, his oeuvre would have been intact.

Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

cilgwyn

Perhaps another reward. If I was a millionaire I could offer a million for 'Prometheus Unbound',maybe something would turn up.
Still,at least they found 'The Tigers'!

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on April 17, 2011, 11:46:05 AM
You're right. But nothing has been heard from him in years. I think he's lost, too.

Oh my...does this mean HB was the center of some paranormal Bermuda Triangle-like vortex that sucked his music, and any searchers of his music, into oblivion?  :o

:D ;D :D

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

karlhenning

I think I live on the verge of that vortex myself.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Apollon on April 18, 2011, 04:10:43 AM
I think I live on the verge of that vortex myself.

There is indeed some powerful force pulling us towards your wonderful music, Karl.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on April 18, 2011, 04:05:41 AM
Oh my...does this mean HB was the center of some paranormal Bermuda Triangle-like vortex that sucked his music, and any searchers of his music, into oblivion?  :o

Yes. Every living Brianite is a survivor.  :D
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

karlhenning

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on April 18, 2011, 04:22:39 AM
Yes. Every living Brianite is a survivor.  :D

I like that!

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on April 18, 2011, 04:21:31 AM
There is indeed some powerful force pulling us towards your wonderful music, Karl.

The generosity of such a kind comment is a great gift this morning, thank you, Sarge!

cilgwyn

Actually,I think he snuffed it!
The only other explanation would be that the missing 'Havergal Brian Society Investigations Officer' is now the subject of ongoing investigations by the current 'Havergal Brian Society Investigations Officer'.

cilgwyn

It's like something out of 'The Avengers'!

J.Z. Herrenberg

cilgwyn

My million pound reward would find him.

Lethevich

Your million pound reward would probably convince a few modern composers to try to forge it ;D

Also, surprised at how demanding of attention the English Suites are - light music they are not.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Lethe Dmitriyevich Shostakovich on April 18, 2011, 05:12:50 AMAlso, surprised at how demanding of attention the English Suites are - light music they are not.

No. You have to listen to the Third English Suite (to mention only that one) several times. It's compressed, elliptic, but has turned into a firm favourite with me, movements 2 and 5 especially.

The new erato

Quote from: cilgwyn on April 18, 2011, 05:04:30 AM
My million pound reward would find him.
Please send them to me and I will send you the manuscript of his 33rd symphony. The hitherto unknown "To Joyce" symphony, aka "the Mad Hatto".

cilgwyn

Yes,definately a misnomer. We're certainly not talking Eric Coates here. (Although nothing wrong with Coates,my elderly mothers eyes lit up when I played that London thingummy!)
I notice the HB Unicorn cd is being offered for £112.74p on Amazon. Condition: New. It better be!!!

cilgwyn

A genuine Hatto would be some consolation after you'd settled into your mansion.

Lethevich

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on April 18, 2011, 05:21:31 AM
No. You have to listen to the Third English Suite (to mention only that one) several times. It's compressed, elliptic, but has turned into a firm favourite with me, movements 2 and 5 especially.

Movements 1 and 4 struck me most on the first few listens (admittedly because the opening of the 4th reminded me of a Bantock Heroic ballad ::)). My brain no doubt just paid more attention to the movements with the titles I liked best :D I certainly am going to take a bit longer to take seriously the "Merry Peasant" movement ;D
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

J.Z. Herrenberg

My Unicorn disc is playable, but time has done something to it...

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Lethe Dmitriyevich Shostakovich on April 18, 2011, 06:06:35 AM
Movements 1 and 4 struck me most on the first few listens (admittedly because the opening of the 4th reminded me of a Bantock Heroic ballad ::) ). My brain no doubt just paid more attention to the movements with the titles I liked best :D I certainly am going to take a bit longer to take seriously the "Merry Peasant" movement ;D

My reason for liking those movements so much is - they show you Brian at his swiftest and most mercurial, with lots of orchestral invention, akin to what he demonstrates in 'The Tigers'.