Havergal Brian.

Started by Harry, June 09, 2007, 04:36:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveF

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on May 09, 2011, 07:40:15 AM

Try getting a Promming Ticket, if they're still there.

They are, thank you, and I was surprised by the ease of getting one.  Now I can go to the longest opera as well!
"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: DaveF on May 09, 2011, 10:33:09 AM
They are, thank you, and I was surprised by the ease of getting one.  Now I can go to the longest opera as well!

Excellent! Look here for more information:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/proms/features/special-offers/
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

cilgwyn

Thank you.The Schmidt! That's it. I remember 'hearing'  it when I heard the Boult performance. It wore after a while though. He certainly made his 'mark' whoever he was. I wonder if he will be digitally removed when or if the Schmidt performance is ever released (I reckon it will,eventually). I would complain if it was me. In fact every time I put the cd on I'd be teling people,'Did you hear that noise then? That's me fainting!' On the other hand,maybe it would be better to keep quiet about it.
I hope someone helped him up!
Anythings better than being identified by your cough.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: cilgwyn on May 09, 2011, 11:16:49 AM
Thank you.The Schmidt! That's it. I remember 'hearing'  it when I heard the Boult performance. It wore after a while though. He certainly made his 'mark' whoever he was. I wonder if he will be digitally removed when or if the Schmidt performance is ever released (I reckon it will,eventually). I would complain if it was me. In fact every time I put the cd on I'd be teling people,'Did you hear that noise then? That's me fainting!' On the other hand,maybe it would be better to keep quiet about it.
I hope someone helped him up!
Anythings better than being identified by your cough.

;D  On 17 July I could shout something during one of the silent passages. Of course, I would be lynched or forcibly removed. But I would have made my mark...
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

cilgwyn

A shouts better than a cough,anythings better than a cough. Everyone should have to sign an agreement at the door that they won't cough until the applause begins at the end. That should drown them out & everyone else for that matter.
Or what about a very loud sneeze? 'ASH-HOOOOOOOOOOOO!?'
Even better,just yell 'ENCORE!' right at the end. Even if you don't get one,I'm sure there are plenty of people who would agree with you.......until they have to listen to you're yell on the cd recording!
I have to say,I've heard loads of coughing on live concert recordings over the years,but never a sneeze (or even a belch). I wonder why? Unless you have some chronic condition it must be a heck of allot easier to suppress a cough than a sneeze.
On the other hand a concert pianist with hiccups could be quite funny.

cilgwyn

J.Z. Herrenberg

Glass of water for Cilgwyn here! Or a big fright!

Just listened again to the Lento and Vivace movements from Part 1 and the Judex from Part 2. Incredible I'll actually hear them live (God willing).

vandermolen

Quote from: DaveF on May 09, 2011, 02:43:31 AM
All,

I was a regular-ish Proms season-ticket holder in the 80s and 90s, but had limited experience of actually queueing for big events.  Does anyone have a recommendation as to what time on July 17th (or July 16th plus sleeping-bag) one should aim to join the queue to be sure of an arena spot?  (Sorry if this has already been asked - looked back a page or two and couldn't see it.)

Thanks,
DF

Very good question and one I am pondering myself. My brother was suggesting 'after lunch' ie c2.00pm but in view of all the publicity about this concert that might be too late - I certainly would not camp out over night - after all, it's not as if it were the Royal Wedding  8)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: vandermolen on May 09, 2011, 01:05:37 PM
Very good question and one I am pondering myself. My brother was suggesting 'after lunch' ie c2.00pm but in view of all the publicity about this concert that might be too late - I certainly would not camp out over night - after all, it's not as if it were the Royal Wedding  8)

It's not as if you don't have a pass. If you are there in time, you should be able to get in. I trust they know at the RAH how to manage the different 'streams' - of those people with tickets, passes and what have you, and those trying to get a ticket on the day itself.

P.S. At least, I hope so!

Mirror Image

Here's an interesting concert program. A night of classical visionaries and mavericks:

Koechlin: Vers la Voute etoilee
Brian: Symphony No. 6

-Intermission-

Myaskovsky: Symphony No. 27

Encore:

Revueltas: Janitzio

Evgeny Svetlanov
London Symphony Orchestra

Since this was an imaginary concert, I wanted to use Svetlanov for this concert. :)

Christo

Quote from: cilgwyn on May 09, 2011, 12:33:37 PMOn the other hand a concert pianist with hiccups could be quite funny.

Actually, something of that kind happened to harmonica player Larry Adler. On the back cover of an RCA Gold Seal LP from 1978 that I own, Adler digs out anecdotes from his long carreer. He tells at length about the musical highlight of it, the Romance Vaughan Williams wrote for him in 1952. Five years before, he did a first performance of the Suite for harmonica and orchestra by Darius Milhaud in Paris, with the Orchestre Concerts Colonnes under Gaston Poulet. Adler recalls:

>> I thought it was the rule that the soloist had to play without the music before him: there is, in fact, no such rule, but I thought there was, and played it without the music and in the 3rd movement I just went blank: forgot the whole thing and in my panic I improvised things not only that Milhaud hadn't written but wouldn't have been caught dead writing. ...
During my moments of panic I visualised a review, in English, in next day's Paris edition of the NY Herald-Tribune. "Last night," read my imaginary review, "Larry Adler played the Suite for Mouth-organ and Orchestra by Darius Milhaud with the Concerts Colonnes conducted by Gaston Chicken."
Poulet - chicken, you can see how my nasty little mind worked. I started to giggle, couldn't stop. There I was, playing, sputtering, giggling into the mouth-organ and couldn't do a damned thing about it. Poulet looked at me as if I'd gone demented, which, in a way, I had.
I never explained it to him. How could I? <<

Wishing all the prommers and queuers all the best!
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

J.Z. Herrenberg

Nice program, MI! I know the Myaskovsky, too. And I might know the Revueltas, though it has been some time. Koechlin Starry Vault I still have to come round to.

Funny story, Christo!

Mirror Image

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on May 09, 2011, 01:39:48 PM
Nice program, MI! I know the Myaskovsky, too. And I might know the Revueltas, though it has been some time. Koechlin Starry Vault I still have to come round to.

Thank you. You haven't heard this Koechlin work yet or you've heard it but it just hasn't connected with you yet?

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 09, 2011, 01:52:21 PM
Thank you. You haven't heard this Koechlin work yet or you've heard it but it just hasn't connected with you yet?

I must be in the mood. Only when I am open and receptive, can I really 'receive'. I am busy writing and then I like to envelop myelf sonically in what I know to get the creative juices flowing...

Mirror Image

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on May 09, 2011, 01:54:43 PM

I must be in the mood. Only when I am open and receptive, can I really 'receive'. I am busy writing and then I like to envelop myelf sonically in what I know to get the creative juices flowing...

Ah, to each their own I suppose. For me, I can listen to Koechlin anytime and come away with much gratification.

cilgwyn

If you tie me up I'll listen to some Lachenmann! Actually I have the Koechlin Hanssler cd of 'Vers la Voute etoilee' op.129 & 'Le Docteur Fabricius' in my hand now and just for you MI I will take the Simon & Garfunkel cd (Parsley,Sage,etc) off and put the shorter work of the two on,NOW! I have Sennheiser cordless headphones so I won't disturb anyone! You won't hear a pin drop.

Mirror Image

Quote from: cilgwyn on May 09, 2011, 02:20:49 PM
If you tie me up I'll listen to some Lachenmann! Actually I have the Koechlin Hanssler cd of 'Vers la Voute etoilee' op.129 & 'Le Docteur Fabricius' in my hand now and just for you MI I will take the Simon & Garfunkel cd (Parsley,Sage,etc) off and put the shorter work of the two on,NOW! I have Sennheiser cordless headphones so I won't disturb anyone! You won't hear a pin drop.

:P This will be great! Have you heard this work before?

cilgwyn

I have had the cd for some time,but alas,I concentrated on the bigger work. Actually,and I'm not just bein polite,this is lovely. Lush impressionism,with a steely,sinewy edge or fibre to it that the very open minded Brian himself may have approved of. Very grand towards the hushed & serene close. It has a similar sound world to the more relaxed,quiet parts of the 'Jungle Book'.
While I'm writing 'Le Docteur Fabricius' has come on (these Sennheisers don't half keep locked onto the signal.The others had me cursing!). A very imposing & mysterious opening. I'd better switch to the Koechlin thread next. You've got me going!

Mirror Image

Quote from: cilgwyn on May 09, 2011, 02:42:56 PM
I have had the cd for some time,but alas,I concentrated on the bigger work. Actually,and I'm not just bein polite,this is lovely. Lush impressionism,with a steely,sinewy edge or fibre to it that the very open minded Brian himself may have approved of. Very grand towards the hushed & serene close. It has a similar sound world to the more relaxed,quiet parts of the 'Jungle Book'.
While I'm writing 'Le Docteur Fabricius' has come on (these Sennheisers don't half keep locked onto the signal.The others had me cursing!). A very imposing & mysterious opening. I'd better switch to the Koechlin thread next. You've got me going!

:D I'm glad to meet somebody who enjoys Koechlin as much as I do!

vandermolen

Quote from: Christo on May 09, 2011, 01:31:34 PM
Actually, something of that kind happened to harmonica player Larry Adler. On the back cover of an RCA Gold Seal LP from 1978 that I own, Adler digs out anecdotes from his long carreer. He tells at length about the musical highlight of it, the Romance Vaughan Williams wrote for him in 1952. Five years before, he did a first performance of the Suite for harmonica and orchestra by Darius Milhaud in Paris, with the Orchestre Concerts Colonnes under Gaston Poulet. Adler recalls:

>> I thought it was the rule that the soloist had to play without the music before him: there is, in fact, no such rule, but I thought there was, and played it without the music and in the 3rd movement I just went blank: forgot the whole thing and in my panic I improvised things not only that Milhaud hadn't written but wouldn't have been caught dead writing. ...
During my moments of panic I visualised a review, in English, in next day's Paris edition of the NY Herald-Tribune. "Last night," read my imaginary review, "Larry Adler played the Suite for Mouth-organ and Orchestra by Darius Milhaud with the Concerts Colonnes conducted by Gaston Chicken."
Poulet - chicken, you can see how my nasty little mind worked. I started to giggle, couldn't stop. There I was, playing, sputtering, giggling into the mouth-organ and couldn't do a damned thing about it. Poulet looked at me as if I'd gone demented, which, in a way, I had.
I never explained it to him. How could I? <<

Wishing all the prommers and queuers all the best!

Very funny - I have that LP too.  :D
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).