Havergal Brian.

Started by Harry, June 09, 2007, 04:36:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luke

Just to say - I downloaded the Brisbane Gothic from Johan's mediafire files yesterday, for which much thanks to him and his sources. I simply haven't had time to listen to it yet, but I wanted to get my thanks in early!

I couldn't resist letting the symphony start up, though, just to wallow for a while...it was hard to tear myself away! As far as I heard - which was only about halfway through the first movement - tempi and balances and so on reminded me of the Lenard, but there was the added bite and edge and risk of a live performance, and that made it very compelling. Hoping for a spare couple of hours soon....though I don't know when they will come!

karlhenning

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Luke on June 06, 2011, 10:16:45 AM
Just to say - I downloaded the Brisbane Gothic from Johan's mediafire files yesterday, for which much thanks to him and his sources. I simply haven't had time to listen to it yet, but I wanted to get my thanks in early!

I couldn't resist letting the symphony start up, though, just to wallow for a while...it was hard to tear myself away! As far as I heard - which was only about halfway through the first movement - tempi and balances and so on reminded me of the Lenard, but there was the added bite and edge and risk of a live performance, and that made it very compelling. Hoping for a spare couple of hours soon....though I don't know when they will come!

Yes, John Curro does some things the same way as Lenard. But as you progress, you notice more and more original 'solutions' to the multiple problems of pacing, tempo, orchestral balance... At first I disagreed with some of his decisions. Now, a few listeninings on, I can understand the reasoning behind them. Curro's approach is very dynamic, he pushes on and on. You get the sense that his goal is clear and that he is forging ahead. I like that a lot.

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on June 06, 2011, 10:45:58 AM
And winter's a-coming . . .

I wonder, Karl, do you by any chance watch HBO's 'Game of Thrones'? A recurring motto there is 'Winter is coming'...
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

karlhenning

I don't! Never heard of it (we don't subscribe to HBO) . . . .

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on June 06, 2011, 10:51:48 AM
I don't! Never heard of it (we don't subscribe to HBO) . . . .

It's a series based on George R.R. Martin's historic fantasy series A Song of Fire and Ice. He is called the 'American Tolkien'... And though he is very different, after reading the first book in his series, I can't deny he can write.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

DavidW

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on June 06, 2011, 10:54:34 AM

It's a series based on George R.R. Martin's historic fantasy series A Song of Fire and Ice. He is called the 'American Tolkien'... And though he is very different, after reading the first book in his series, I can't deny he can write.

Love Martin, but he is not remotely Tolkien-esque! :D  Sometime try out if you haven't Fevre Dream, a short novel about vampires on a river boat. :)

J.Z. Herrenberg

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll keep the title in mind. But first I have three other weighty tomes to read (and volume 5 will be published in July...)!

DavidW

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on June 06, 2011, 11:09:32 AM
Thanks for the recommendation. I'll keep the title in mind. But first I have three other weighty tomes to read (and volume 5 will be published in July...)!

When you get that far you should make a list of principle characters from the 1st and 5th (I haven't made it that far, but by the 3rd wow!) and see if any of them made it. ;D  Since Erikson's series is actually complete now, I'm going to be reading his series. :)

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: DavidW on June 06, 2011, 11:12:05 AM
When you get that far you should make a list of principle characters from the 1st and 5th (I haven't made it that far, but by the 3rd wow!) and see if any of them made it. ;D  Since Erikson's series is actually complete now, I'm going to be reading his series. :)

Good luck! That's 10 books! I think I'll read Erikson, too. But later. Martin first.

cilgwyn

Vampires on a riverboat? Am I on the right thread?

cilgwyn

Ok,carry on,but I've got a stake just in case!

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: cilgwyn on June 06, 2011, 12:08:14 PM
Ok,carry on,but I've got a stake just in case!

Sensible people, the Welsh.

cilgwyn

I hear you're a stake holder in the Havergal Brian Society.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: cilgwyn on June 06, 2011, 12:15:40 PM
I hear you're a stake holder in the Havergal Brian Society.

:D

DavidW

I'll have to make up for my OT-ness by finally listening to the Gothic... ;D

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: DavidW on June 06, 2011, 12:50:32 PM
I'll have to make up for my OT-ness by finally listening to the Gothic... ;D

If you really must, just listen to the first three purely instrumental movements...  :o ;D

Philip Legge

Johan was right, I was away getting my beauty sleep, and I gather it's now breakfast-time in the Brianic nook...

I heartily endorse J.Z.'s suggestion of listening to just the first part of the Gothic, even in the case of the listeners who sometimes post here that have no particular liking for Brian:
* It's a complete three-movement work in itself with the composer's express endorsement for it to be performed in this manner, and Brian designed a special ending for it in the event that Part Two wasn't to be played. Because of the way they staged the work in Brisbane (choirs were held backstage until Part Two) there was a gap of five or so minutes to get all the supernumerary players and singers on; the recording thus doesn't use the plain D major chord to pivot into the Te Deum and retains the slightly more elaborate ending.
* People who are allergic to sopranos need not suffer having their sensitivities inflamed.
* John Curro's interpretation of this part of the symphony is very fine as well: there are numerous moments where he firmly grasps Brian's sound world.
* There is some seriously virtuosic playing from virtually the entire forces through the Vivace that caps the first part of the work, but if there is one stand out, it has to be the bravura xylophone solo played with almost nonchalant precision by an afro-haired percussionist named Matt Brennan, whom Malcolm MacDonald quipped was a "genius": not a word to be thrown about lightly! In tribute the chairman of the Havergal Brian Society John Grimshaw suggested he should be made the next President of the society...
* The recording is excellent and one can only hope for a commercial release (albeit only 4MBS seems to have access to the CD-quality masters for the time being). The BBC Proms performance might prove stiff competition.
* It's not much over half an hour in duration, although it is intense music that takes you by the scruff of the neck and drags you through some very strange places of the imagination. Sceptics who are won over in the process can decide to go on with the Te Deum, which requires a considerably greater outlay of time and daring.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Your four reasons are heartily endorsed, Philip. As for that afro-haired genius, your vid of the rehearsal where we could see him in action remains unforgotten. GMG member Luke Ottevanger, our most eloquent Brianite, wrote on this thread he could watch him all day!

That transitional passage in the Vivace (which seems to me to be the most visionary transformation of something similarly awe-inspiring in Beethoven's Fifth) remains absolutely incredible, and the Queensland band do it full justice. I can't wait to experience it for myself in London. If I die there and then, what a way to go!

Philip Legge

I added a couple more reasons: I have the very bad habit of always going back and modifying my posts!

I do hope you're not tempting providence, Johan. I will only agree with you in theory: what a way to go!

Oh yes, the Ewe Toob vids: they'll be back eventually; it was unfortunately necessary to take them down at the request of the doco producer. She wanted an embargo on video footage until they've released their documentary and I agreed wholeheartedly with that. I'm glad though that several people here enjoyed it!

karlhenning

If they're the good and deserving sort of sopranos, who could be allergic to them? ; )