Havergal Brian.

Started by Harry, June 09, 2007, 04:36:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Philip Legge

QuoteIf they're the good and deserving sort of sopranos, who could be allergic to them? ; )

One of my Brisbane correspondents was saying that the Proms Gothic following so quickly in the footsteps of the Brisbane performance has its drawbacks... the conversation went this way:

Me: I also had a feeling that the proximity of the Proms Gothic was going to have a devaluating effect on the stocks of the Brisbane performance, particularly the viability of commercial sale of the concert recording. But there's not much Brisbane can do, apart from sabotaging the BBC Proms performance!

B: We could always send them some of our sopranos... >;P

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Philip Legge on June 06, 2011, 02:41:19 PM
I added a couple more reasons: I have the very bad habit of always going back and modifying my posts!

I do hope you're not tempting providence, Johan. I will only agree with you in theory: what a way to go!

Oh yes, the Ewe Toob vids: they'll be back eventually; it was unfortunately necessary to take them down at the request of the doco producer. She wanted an embargo on video footage until they've released their documentary and I agreed wholeheartedly with that. I'm glad though that several people here enjoyed it!

Modification is edification.

Yes, it is tempting Fate a bit. Let's change that to 'If I faint...', which Paul Rapoport, the Brian scholar, said he all but did, twice, during a Gothic performance...

I wonder why they didn't consider the 'Ewe Toob vids' as free advertisements. I'll certainly buy the documentary, though the gentleman who plays Brian looks far too affluent and middle class. Brian was in dire straits when he composed his monster score!
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

cilgwyn

I can just imagine the Hollywood movie, with Tom Cruise as Havergal Brian, sporting a moustache.
Other glitzy contendors: George Clooney or Tom Hanks!

Luke

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on June 06, 2011, 02:20:28 PM
GMG member Luke Ottevanger, our most eloquent Brianite....
Very flattering indeed, Johan, but clearly and embarrassingly inaccurate! There are many here who speak about Brian with an insight which I certainly can't match and who have a knack of finding the right word and the apposite image which I envy. You are top of that list!

J.Z. Herrenberg

O, I know my Brian, and words are my life, Luke. I won't be coy. But you have something I lack - the inside view of a composer. And that is something I - in my turn - envy! You can analyse and experience Brian's nitty-gritty from the inside. And though I can read along in a score and know a few things about harmony and counterpoint, these are things in which I have to defer to the greater expert!
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Luke

Well, that is very kind of you. If only there were more scores available, though! I have the Gothic, I have the three you so kindly sent me, I have the Fantastic Variations, I have the piano music. But what I would give to peak (sorry, peek - that was a nicely mountainous, Brainic typo, though!) at the scores to some more of the symphonies - in particular I'm bursting to see certain pages of 3 and 4, of 7 and 9, I think I'd get such a frisson from seeing the exquisite opening of no 12 really there on the page, I'd love to set off into the little-explored mountain ranges (MM's image) of the post 12 works, to see the more fiendish moments of 16 on the page, to clap my eyes on the rarified notes of the later symphonies...

J.Z. Herrenberg

I don't have a scanner, yet. But when I have one, I'll scan some of the choice pages for you. I have Nos. 3, 7, 11 and 22. I wonder, though - several members of the HBS are busy using Sibelius to make legible versions of his manuscripts. If you were a member, I'm sure you'd be able to have a look. Especially if you should write something for the Newsletter!

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: cilgwyn on June 07, 2011, 02:37:24 AM
I can just imagine the Hollywood movie, with Tom Cruise as Havergal Brian, sporting a moustache.
Other glitzy contendors: George Clooney or Tom Hanks!

Christopher Lee is... Havergal Brian in - The Curse of 'The Gothic'

karlhenning

Quote from: Philip Legge on June 06, 2011, 05:12:33 PM
B: We could always send them some of our sopranos... >;P

Oh, 'owl a bit, do they?

Luke

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on June 07, 2011, 03:22:57 AM
I don't have a scanner, yet. But when I have one, I'll scan some of the choice pages for you. I have Nos. 3, 7, 11 and 22. I wonder, though - several members of the HBS are busy using Sibelius to make legible versions of his manuscripts. If you were a member, I'm sure you'd be able to have a look. Especially if you should write something for the Newsletter!

I used to be one....does that count?  ;) (always meaning to rejoin, too).

Personally I'd be more than happy to take part in the Sibelius-setting of any Brian scores that wanted it. Would consider it the most enormous privilege, in fact. But I wonder if they'd want to use my skills, such as they are...

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Luke on June 07, 2011, 04:29:35 AM
I used to be one....does that count?  (always meaning to rejoin, too).

Personally I'd be more than happy to take part in the Sibelius-setting of any Brian scores that wanted it. Would consider it the most enormous privilege, in fact. But I wonder if they'd want to use my skills, such as they are...

Of course! You'd be an enormous asset! I could test the waters for you and ask around... But - no rush. I think the HBS Committee is busy preparing for the great day!

cilgwyn

Christopher Lee. Oh dear,I always remember him as 'Fu Manchu'. Not very pc now. But his motto,'I will return' seems about right for Havergal Brian. When the Prom has finally been and gone I'm pretty sure we'll be hearing more from him. Although a third live performance in a row could be pushing it a bit.
Maybe it'll be the USA next?

Philip Legge

I've sent Luke a private message with the e-mail of the chairman of the Scores subcommittee, to allow him to drop a line if he wishes to do a bit of Brian typesetting.

Quite a number of works have been attempted. The six early orchestral works typeset by Breitkopf are of high quality and don't need new typesetting. The complete piano works were published by the society in a reliable edition in the 1980s. All of the songs and partsongs have been edited by Alan Marshall and Jeremy Marchant and are being gradually released by UMP, so the focus of work is on the orchestral works and operas:

Symphonies: 1 (VS completed, no work on FS), 2 (in progress), 4 (FS nearly complete), 6, 7, 9, 10 (all complete), 16 (nearly complete), 22, 23, 24 (all complete), 32 (in progress)

Orchestral: Ave atque vale, Concerto for orchestra, English suites 3, 4 (all complete)

Opera: Faust: Night-ride (FS complete), Cenci (VS in progress)

Choral-orchestral: By the waters of Babylon (VS complete), Prometheus Unbound: 4 choruses (VS complete)

So to my knowledge (which is almost certainly incomplete!) there are plenty of the symphonies as yet unclaimed, and one of the shorter ones like 12, 17, or 31 would make a good project to get one's teeth into. I myself went for one of the larger works and typeset the Seventh back in 2004–06.

As for purchasing them: the society isn't handling the scores themselves, instead they are print-on-demand works only at UMP.

Cheers, Philip

DavidW

The Gothic Symphony is awesome.  I've paid my penalty. ;D

I also have this album which is not as good, but still worth several listens (which I have done):

[asin]B0008JEKF4[/asin]

J.Z. Herrenberg

That's an excellent post, Philip! You have added to my knowledge. Of course, I have read in the Newsletter about the typesetting saga, but the picture was blurred. Now I know what the 'score' is. When I stayed with Alan Marshall he showed me his work on No. 16... That must have been in 1995 (?) I really hope Luke will help out, for his sake and the Society's!

Quote from: DavidW on June 07, 2011, 03:08:30 PM

The Gothic Symphony is awesome.  I've paid my penalty. ;D

I also have this album which is not as good, but still worth several listens (which I have done):

Good man! I agree that neither the Violin Concerto not Symphony No. 18 are as impressive as The Gothic, but the Violin Concerto has its own special beauty, I think...

DavidW

Are there any other symphonies that are Gothic like?

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: DavidW on June 07, 2011, 03:12:31 PM
Are there any other symphonies that are Gothic like?

Well, why not listen to the colourful and impressive Symphonic Movements from his opera The Tigers, which Brian orchestrated after he had finished The Gothic, but which he wrote a few years before starting that work. The movements 3. Gargoyles and 4. Lacryma are a bit Gothic-like.

http://www.mediafire.com/?z017xa0gyay12

Lethevich

Listening to the 7th symphony, followed by the 4th may produce a very crude, half-arsed "Gothic" effect as well ;)
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Lethe Dmitriyevich Shostakovich on June 07, 2011, 03:22:03 PM
Listening to the 7th symphony, followed by the 4th may produce a very crude, half-arsed "Gothic" effect as well ;)

The Seventh as Part 1 and the Siegeslied as Part 2... I see what you mean!  :D

Lethevich

I feel dirty for even suggesting it :) The 1st can at times seem like a ball and chain - everybody begins with it, and there is then no real successor to turn to - I dread to think how many people have abandoned exploring the composer after discovering this.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.