Havergal Brian.

Started by Harry, June 09, 2007, 04:36:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Lethe Dmitriyevich Shostakovich on June 07, 2011, 03:26:54 PM
I feel dirty for even suggesting it :) The 1st can at times seem like a ball and chain - everybody begins with it, and there is then no real successor to turn to - I dread to think how many people have abandoned exploring the composer after discovering this.

The Gothic is special. It's like Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings in that it most completely encompasses the whole breadth of an artist's imagination. Are there no successors to that firstling? I don't know. Nos. 2, 3 and 4 certainly have Gothic-like elements. And certain stylistic traits are simply Brianic and can be found everywhere - the use of the brass and the percussion, lightning-quic quick changes of atmosphere, et cetera. But yes - The Gothic is special. Still, there are countless moments in the remaining 31 symphonies and the operas and suites and concertos and songs I wouldn't want to be without. But many of the other works are more demanding. The Gothic carries you along. It's a spectacular.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

cilgwyn

They are rather 'Gothicky' aren't they? 'Gargoyles' in particular,builds up to quite a spectacular climax. The 'Symphonic Variations' which begins in such a jolly pastoral English fashion has a very,dark,sepulchral sounding passage somewhere. The bit where the 'town crier' is singing,Ithink 'Lost from his home,one young man......' *(something like that.I haven't got the libretto to hand). But I think 'Gargoyles' and 'Lacryma' are the one's to listen to first.
This opera is so original and wildly imaginative it's possibly my all time favourite opera. It's tuneful, jammed packed with memorable ideas,chock full of memorable lines and characters,it's got 'Red Indians' ('Native Americans',these days) an Elephant,marching Gargoyles,Wild Horsemen,it's funny, (so many supposedly comic opera's aren't),eccentric,in the best possible way and I think it's one of the best,if not,one of the greatest of all opera's to emerge from our island.
And he wrote this around the same time as he was working on the 'Gothic',didn't he?
Talk about mind boggling!

* Ahem! Not wanting to confuse,I'm referring to the corresponding passage in the 'Prologue' of 'The Tigers',of course.

J.Z. Herrenberg

The Gothic and The Tigers show the scope of Brian's mind. The grand and the satirical were in Brian's musical make-up from the beginning. It took the First World War and bitter personal experiences to add the tragic to the mix. Only then did he become a truly great composer, I think.

And now - to bed!
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

cilgwyn

Quite! Okay,I'm off too.

cilgwyn

I didn't say 'goodnight' for fear that,with all the Users on this forum,we might end up sounding like a cyber version of 'The Waltons'!

DavidW

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on June 07, 2011, 03:37:23 PM

The Gothic is special. It's like Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings in that it most completely encompasses the whole breadth of an artist's imagination.

Ah I see the rest of his symphonic output is Brian's Silmarillion.  Much more challenging with moments as rewarding as the Gothic while not having the easy narrative flow of the Gothic. :) 

karlhenning

Nice to see you've come aboard the Good Ship Gothic, Davey!  I was a long time walking the plank myself ; )

Think I'll give 'er another spin today!

DavidW

It had been along time since I first heard of it.  I think it was either Luke or Chris (weirdears) praising it... time passes... I see Sarge praising it... more time passes... MI praises it, J. D. Herrenberg is all over this thread, I buy the cds... more time passes... I finally go hey! what is this! :D

cilgwyn

Which parts 'The Hobbit'?
(Dr Merryheart?)

DavidW

Quote from: cilgwyn on June 08, 2011, 04:20:55 AM
Which parts 'The Hobbit'?

Well you're the Brian fan... what's the guilty pleasure that is not as serious as the Gothic but you secretly enjoy as much? ;D

karlhenning

For cilgwyn, I'm guessing . . . General Hospital?

(j/k)

cilgwyn

That's okay,I like hospital food.

cilgwyn

And if anyone brings up Harry Potter,I might be safe in there.

karlhenning

Quote from: cilgwyn on June 08, 2011, 04:26:58 AM
That's okay, I like hospital food.

That may well be the scariest post I've ever read here at GMG . . . .

DavidW

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on June 08, 2011, 04:33:37 AM
That may well be the scariest post I've ever read here at GMG . . . .

That and rat poison is 99% good eats... ;D

cilgwyn

Wait a minute. They don't do cooked breakfasts anymore?

cilgwyn

If they're going to give me muesli they might as well kill me and serve me up for breakfast.

DavidW

Quote from: cilgwyn on June 08, 2011, 04:54:04 AM
Wait a minute. They don't do cooked breakfasts anymore?

They're not allowed to use the word breakfast anymore, because it wrongly suggests that they are serving up edible food! ;D

J.Z. Herrenberg

I like that 'Hobbit' question (returning to things musical instead of culinary...) You could see everything written up to 'The Tigers' as Brian's 'Hobbit phase' - a period of rather uncomplicated, though original, expression. The First English Suite, Doctor Merryheart, In Memoriam, For Valour, Festal Dance, the Fantastic and the Burlesque Variations - they all show a young composer with a very individual orchestral manner. But they don't prepare you for what happens in 'The Tigers' and 'The Gothic'. And the development after those works is incredible. After the Second World War Brian seems to start afresh, and continues for another 20 years, with 4 operas and 26 symphonies, covering several mini-periods. It was an extroardinary artistic career.

karlhenning