Havergal Brian.

Started by Harry, June 09, 2007, 04:36:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cilgwyn

I love these Tolkien comparisons. Brian's 'Hobbit Phase'! I wonder if anyone would like to share their thoughts on Britten's 'Narnia phase'?

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: cilgwyn on June 08, 2011, 07:26:43 AM
I love these Tolkien comparisons. Brian's 'Hobbit Phase'! I wonder if anyone would like to share their thoughts on Britten's 'Narnia phase'?

Haha!

My comparison goes lame (a bit), though. Tolkien's writing of the Silmarillion predated (and postdated) that of both Hobbit and LOTR...
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

cilgwyn

I'm sorry,I'm afraid I couldn't resist that.
Actually,I think Britten's 'Aslan phase' sounds spicier.
Or what about Vaughan Williams's 'Just William phase'?

cilgwyn

I must admit to liking 'The Hobbit'. I bought the old ISIS audio cassette audio book of Rob Inglis reading the whole book from cover to cover,and very entertaing it is too,especially late in the evening. (Cassettes are still pretty good for that sort of thing). The original ISIS audio books looked very smart. 'The Fellowship of the Ring' with that striking 'eye' design on the cover.
Not too keen on the movies,I'm afraid. ISIS and the old BBC Radio Dramatisations are the one's for me. Not to mention the original books!!!

J.Z. Herrenberg

I like the BBC dramatisations of the Hobbit and LOTR, but Peter Jackson's films, too...
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

karlhenning

The Hobbit is an old sentimental favorite, my school librarian suggested the book to me in something like fifth grade.

cilgwyn

I like Tolkien,at his best,but,in my opinion, some of the pretentious twaddle that gets written about his books does them no favours. I recall an article in the Times Literary Supplement not long ago. It reminded me a bit of those seemingly endless programmes on the Beeb,where a load of celebrities are wheeled on in succession,to explain why a particular comedian or situation comedy is funny. Cancellation followed.
But I do like the books. In fact,I'd put those 'Hobbit' tapes on later,(now you've reminded me of them) but I've got the dentist tomorrow! "Gollum!"

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: cilgwyn on June 08, 2011, 08:49:36 AM
I've got the dentist tomorrow! "Gollum!"

Why do you go? Gollum managed quite well without one. Even bit off Mr Frodo's finger, he did.

cilgwyn

It must have been difficult to find a dentist in the Misty Mountains.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: cilgwyn on June 08, 2011, 08:55:45 AM
It must have been difficult to find a dentist in the Misty Mountains.

:D

That's Cameron for you.

cilgwyn

I was just thinking. Probably easier than here.
And I could probably get it done on the National Elf Service.

J.Z. Herrenberg

:D

Never knew you spoke like a Cockney.

cilgwyn

I just read in IRR Magazine the following,in a review of the Dutton cd of off air broadcast recordings of Havergal Brian. The reviewer is Richard Whitehouse.

" Harry Newstone gave some notable (not always for the right reasons) Brian Premieres..."

Not sure exactly what this is supposed to mean. Unless,RW is inferring that Newstone was just performing the music because he knew Brian personally & was only doing it as a friend? (Was Newstone less than convinced by some of Brian's output?)
On the other hand there could be another reason? I seem to remember reading somewhere that Boult himself admitted to being less than enamoured by some,if not all,of Brian's music. Is this true. I may be wrong,but wasn't he president of the HBS,or a Patron,or something?
   Oh and,with regard to Harry Newstone. I have just remembered that I have his performance of the Seventh symphony on a dolby cassette someone gave me. The tape will be at least twenty years old,but I am fairly confident it WILL work. I am going to find it as soon as I have the time (it's in the box room & very aptly in a box,but which one?). Any thoughts on this performance? How does this compare to the Mackerras,I wonder?

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: cilgwyn on June 08, 2011, 01:58:19 PM
I just read in IRR Magazine the following,in a review of the Dutton cd of off air broadcast recordings of Havergal Brian. The reviewer is Richard Whitehouse.

" Harry Newstone gave some notable (not always for the right reasons) Brian Premieres..."

Not sure exactly what this is supposed to mean. Unless,RW is inferring that Newstone was just performing the music because he knew Brian personally & was only doing it as a friend? (Was Newstone less than convinced by some of Brian's output?)

I know Richard Whitehouse. He is a long-standing member of the HBS, like me, and I met him a few times at Brian concerts. I think he may be referring to the tragic fact that a young conductor, Michael Krein, would have given the premiere of Brian's Seventh Symphony, but suddenly died, so that Harry Newstone had to fill in at short notice.

QuoteOn the other hand there could be another reason? I seem to remember reading somewhere that Boult himself admitted to being less than enamoured by some,if not all,of Brian's music. Is this true. I may be wrong,but wasn't he president of the HBS,or a Patron,or something?

Yes, Boult was a patron of the HBS, and he conducted several Brian premieres. He admired The Gothic.

QuoteOh and,with regard to Harry Newstone. I have just remembered that I have his performance of the Seventh symphony on a dolby cassette someone gave me. The tape will be at least twenty years old,but I am fairly confident it WILL work. I am going to find it as soon as I have the time (it's in the box room & very aptly in a box,but which one?). Any thoughts on this performance? How does this compare to the Mackerras,I wonder?

Newstone's performance is EXCELLENT. I have it on a cassette, too, but don't have a cassette player anymore... Do dig it up. You'll notice that the first movement in his reading is much grander, because his tempi are slower. Mackerras is too light. The other movements are about even.

DavidW

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on June 08, 2011, 08:32:04 AM
I like the BBC dramatisations of the Hobbit and LOTR, but Peter Jackson's films, too...

The films don't capture the atmosphere of the novel, too much emphasis on battle set pieces, not enough on the lore, history and characters (especially the hobbits).  Well Jackson did what it took to make it into a big blockbuster. 

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: DavidW on June 08, 2011, 02:46:00 PM
The films don't capture the atmosphere of the novel, too much emphasis on battle set pieces, not enough on the lore, history and characters (especially the hobbits).  Well Jackson did what it took to make it into a big blockbuster.

Did you see the extended editions? The Two Towers, especially, is about 40 minutes longer (iirc) and gains immeasurably -  the battle at Helm's Deep is not the climax of the film, there is time for much more, which deepens the story, the world and the characters.

But in the final analysis - yes, the books will always be richer.

DavidW

Yeah I like the extended editions... I wish they were out on blu-ray. :'(

cilgwyn

Thank you for you're detailed reply. It's a bit late to look for the cassette now,but I'm looking forward to listening to it again. I think the glamour of the cd took over for a while,but recently cassettes have made a bit of a come back......here! I seem to remember the opening fanfare was statelier,more regal,perhaps. Also,I think I might have to change ye olde tape side at some point?!!!
Regarding that observation about Boult not being too keen on (some?) Brian. I can't remember who wrote that,but I'm pretty certain he was a music critic (well he would be really!). I also remember that he inferred that Boult was just being kind to Brian by conducting the Gothic.
Well,I must say,if he didn't like the piece too much I think he would have been a bit daft to get roped into something as long and as big as that! 
I have a feeling the critic concerned was just using a spurious story,he may or may not have actually heard,as a way of justifying his own negative attitude towards Brian's music.

John Whitmore

This message board is bonkers. Just like the music of HB. Some quick points while I am pissing by:
1) This month's BBC Music Magazine has an article in it about the Proms and that Gothic thingy you are all obsessed with. Tippett makes an interesting point.
2) Johan, I will download the Brisbane recording. Who's waving the stick and which orchestra is it? I don't know much about Aussie culture other than cricket, Dame Edna, Skippy and Sir Rolf Harris. Oh, and I worked with Malcolm Williamson on one occasion (his 1st piano concerto). Amazed they've done some Brian. They disappoint me.
3) The orchestral leader on the Lord of the Rings films is ex LSSO leader Rolf Wilson (NOT Rolf Harris)
4) There is no point 4.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Very droll...  ;D

Here some info on the Brisbane Gothic, cut and pasted from the Unsung Composers forum, where fellow GMG member Albion posted this:

Melissa Gill, sop; Kathleen Lamont, alto; Luke Venables, ten; Dimitri Kopanakis, bass/ The Gothic Symphony Chorus/ The Gothic Symphony Children's Chorus/ The Gothic Symphony Orchestra/ John Curro (Brisbane 22/12/2010, br. Australian 4MBS 4/6/2011)