Havergal Brian.

Started by Harry, June 09, 2007, 04:36:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J.Z. Herrenberg

I'll turn 50 in a few minutes' time. Nice to announce it on the thread of the composer I feel the most affinity with.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

DavidW

cilgwyn

Happy Birthday. Here's to the next Fifty,eh?

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: DavidW on June 12, 2011, 01:59:37 PM
Happy Birthday!! :)

Gracias!

Quote from: cilgwyn on June 12, 2011, 02:03:29 PM
Happy Birthday. Here's to the next Fifty,eh?

Of course! Thank you!
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

vandermolen

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on June 12, 2011, 01:58:49 PM
I'll turn 50 in a few minutes' time. Nice to announce it on the thread of the composer I feel the most affinity with.

Welcome to the club Johan!

Happy Birthday from us all over here.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: vandermolen on June 12, 2011, 02:26:59 PM
Welcome to the club Johan!

Happy Birthday from us all over here.

Thanks, Jeffrey! It's good to know some intrepid souls went before and lived to tell the tale!

Lethevich

Make it a nice day for yourself! :) (If you have subconscious junk food cravings, now is the time!)
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Lethe Dmitriyevich Shostakovich on June 12, 2011, 02:52:19 PM
Make it a nice day for yourself! :) (If you have subconscious junk food cravings, now is the time!)

I am taking my daughter Dunya  (11) to the pictures, a Dutch film with horses and romance. I think I'll survive. I like it when she is enjoying herself...  :) As to my cravings, I just ate some crisps...

Luke

Happy Birthday, Johan!  :)  :)

Lethevich

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on June 12, 2011, 02:55:54 PM
I am taking my daughter Dunya  (11) to the pictures, a Dutch film with horses and romance.

Oh lord. Play Brian's 6th afterwards, balance must be maintained! Happy birthday btw :)
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Luke on June 12, 2011, 03:06:31 PM
Happy Birthday, Johan!  :) :)

Thanks, Luke!

Quote from: Lethe Dmitriyevich Shostakovich on June 12, 2011, 03:11:54 PM
Oh lord. Play Brian's 6th afterwards, balance must be maintained! Happy birthday btw :)

:D

vandermolen

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on June 12, 2011, 02:55:54 PM

I am taking my daughter Dunya  (11) to the pictures, a Dutch film with horses and romance. I think I'll survive. I like it when she is enjoying herself...  :) As to my cravings, I just ate some crisps...

Sounds like a nice way to celebrate your birthday - hope it went well.  Did the film have a soundtrack by Havergal Brian?  ;D
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: vandermolen on June 13, 2011, 11:39:05 PM
Sounds like a nice way to celebrate your birthday - hope it went well.  Did the film have a soundtrack by Havergal Brian?  ;D

As you can see, though I passed through the valley of cultural death, I am still amongst the living... The completely Brianless (or brainless) soundtrack consisted of soppy love songs... What we do for our children. Fortunately, even Dunya could see through some of the ludicrousness and we had some muffled chuckles. She is going a second time, though - with her mother!

cilgwyn

Thank god for 'The Wizard of Oz'!

NB: The Munchkins were a bit of a pain. Oh,and 'Glenda the glutinous good'.

Maybe,I need a time machine. Mind you,it COULD have been worse. My mum got taken to Shirley Temple films,AND she liked them!

karlhenning

Quote from: cilgwyn on June 14, 2011, 02:53:47 AM
. . . My mum got taken to Shirley Temple films,AND she liked them!

Behold, I shew you a mystery; they actually made those movies, to the end that the audience should like them!

cilgwyn

Any other Shirley Temple fans here?

J.Z. Herrenberg

The first of three tickets has arrived today! It's for my friend Michiel Schuijer (try prononouncing that!) Someone has written something on an accompanying note:

The original seat you booked will be obscured by a BBC TV camera, so you have been upgraded to an elevated view.

I hope they use it on the night!

karlhenning

Johan, I long ago gave up trying to pronounce Dutch!

However, should I ever visit, I'll give it a better try.

Hattoff

Having nothing better to do and having my interest piqued by an article about HB's working class background, I embarked on an attempt to trace his family tree. There is no ready made tree that I can find on the internet but there is no point in repeating work already done, does anyone know of such a tree?

I also know that Kenneth Eastaugh's biography went into some detail about HB's immediate ancestors; could some kind person out there scan the relevant pages of that book and send them to me? I am back to the late 1700s on two branches and want to check them.

HB's, unsuccessful, attempts to gain a pension from the British Army after WW1 are now on line as are his abodes in the four censuses, 1881-1911. His immediate ancestors are traceable in the censuses back to 1841, one of whom was an engineer and another a saggar maker's bottom knocker; look it up.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on June 20, 2011, 05:45:29 AM
The original seat you booked will be obscured by a BBC TV camera, so you have been upgraded to an elevated view.

Someone is going to be hoisted by a crane?

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"