Havergal Brian.

Started by Harry, June 09, 2007, 04:36:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Whitmore

Bob also made his mark with Unicorn in 1972 of course ably assisted by his engineer Angus McKenzie. What time are you leaving Schipol? I hope the Gods are with you.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Don't mention them...  :o My sister and I will be at London City Airport (hopefully) around 4:20 PM...
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Brian

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on July 16, 2011, 09:58:48 AM
It's a sell-out and people are curious... But it's certain you'll get in with that pass? Otherwise you probably should come earlier.

It's certain. The "season ticket pass" line goes in first and then the day pass people go in afterwards. I arrived at 6:50 for 7:30 and had no trouble, but I do want to arrive earlier tomorrow.

John Whitmore

I've spoken to some of my friends who are playing in the Gothic tomorrow. Good feedback and high expectations. With 1,000 people taking part and 2 hours of music to get through there are sure to be a few slips but this could just be epic. I really hope so. :)

J.Z. Herrenberg

WARNING for Day-Prommers - I just read on Twitter that there are limited places in the Arena due to the placing of the choruses. BE THERE IN TIME, as the season ticket holders get in first.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

listener

If the internet connection to North America holds, I'll get the whole thing uninterrupted on a VHS tape (audio only),
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

J.Z. Herrenberg

I am leaving for Amsterdam Airport in an hour. The weather is fine and no flights are cancelled (yet!) The only things that matter today are - get to London in time and sit very still during two hours in a very big space...

John Whitmore

I'm recording it twice. First of all via the computer using Audacity. Secondly via my television's radio tuner and DVD writer. This second way will probably give the best results and all I will need to do is transfer the sound from the DVD onto my computer to edit the sound files. Cunning!

J.Z. Herrenberg

It's good to know many people will be recording this... Now at Amsterdam Airport, having an early meal. There won't be much time, once we arrive in London...

Luke

Brian - hope you read this in time!

Thanks for the message - I will look out for you! I am about to leave, very early I know, but there are reasons... Driving into London, have booked a parking space whch I can't take before 6.00, so I'm going to have to time it carefully! And then a dash round to the doors - thanks for telling me which queue to take. Good to see your pic, I will watch for you. I don't have one to post here - but look for a big bearded bear of a man with glasses, black trousers and a grey shirt on  ;D

Tempted to take my score into the concert, not to read it, but just because it's been so much part of my life-with-The-Gothic for so long, I'd feel naked without it  ::) . How ridiculous is that!?    ::)

Brian

Quote from: Luke on July 17, 2011, 05:07:22 AMlook for a big bearded bear of a man

Does Karl Henning know about this?!?!?  ;D ;D ;)

By all means bring your score of course, but the arena doesn't leave much space for personal effects aside from what you can put between your feet! Very, very good luck to ye on that parking issue, sounds mad but it'll work out in the end  :)
Worst-case thing you need to know - the weekend pass holders' door is Door One.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Forget your car, Luke! Get there as soon as possible!

Brian

I hear thunder rolling outside. Either that, or it's the six timpanists and two side-drummers rehearsing...

karlhenning

So excited for you chaps!

Mirror Image

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on July 17, 2011, 07:34:35 AM
So excited for you chaps!

You know, Karl, my fellow North American, it's a shame that concerts like this one with the Gothic don't happen over here. What a barren, culture-less wasteland we live in. :'(

springrite

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 17, 2011, 07:37:00 AM
You know, Karl, my fellow North American, it's a shame that concerts like this one with the Gothic don't happen over here. What a barren, culture-less wasteland we live in. :'(

Thank goodness for the few MDs around in the US who against all odds and amid all the criticism still do some new music, though not as much not-so-new-but-unjustly-neglected works.

Wait till I get the Beijing Phil to perform the Gothic by telling the authorities that Brian was a closet communist.
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

J.Z. Herrenberg

The Eagle has landed!!

cilgwyn

One of western europe last 'working' dolby cassette decks is busily rolling away here. So far I can't find anything to moan about (the performance,I mean!). This is,in my humble opinion the most satisfiyng performance since my own personal favourite,the Ole Schmidt. (Although it's a bit early to be a 'critic' yet). No choirboys fainting yet,as in the forementioned Schmidt,but there was a loud clatter at one point (something got dropped!). Some very minor differences,though,and I await those crucial solo's with some trepidation.
Must say,is it my imagination,but are the choirs 'struggling' a bit in parts of the 'judex'? Not that I can blame them?
Wish they had it on every night!

cilgwyn

It's JUST finished! BRAVO! ENCORE! ENCORE!

springrite

Quote from: cilgwyn on July 17, 2011, 11:51:22 AM
It's JUST finished! BRAVO! ENCORE! ENCORE!

Play it again, Sam.
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.