Havergal Brian.

Started by Harry, June 09, 2007, 04:36:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Whitmore

I've just come across an interview from 1974 which you might all enjoy so I've added a few photos and put it on Youtube.

http://youtu.be/8psW_Lb7H-o

Dundonnell

As I said earlier, I had lunch yesterday with another friend from my schooldays-a recently retired BBC Music senior executive and former managing director of a BBC orchestra.
He listened to the radio broadcast of the Gothic and hated the music. He believes it to be disjointed and clumsy, almost completely unsingable and, essentially, a tedious bore.

Of course when I heard those views expressed I terminated the meal at once, flung my unfinished plate of food in his face, upended the table and stormed out of the restaurant in incandescent rage.

No....actually I did none of these things ;D I listened to the views of someone whose musical experience and taste I respect with close attention, some disappointment and a measure of sadness. My principal emotion was regret that he has not 'got' the piece or the composer's music in general.

I remember dipping into this forum once during my two years sabbatical and reading a comment on a thread I had started on some Norwegian composers in which it was alleged that my purpose in posting about certain composers was to discourage others from listening to music I dislike and to disparage their tastes. That made me angry and sad.

I wrote here in the past(more than once!) and I reiterate: it is MY loss if I dislike Rachmaninov, Delius or Scriabin. Others-Johan to name but one-loves the music of Delius. That is wonderful! I wish I was attuned to the Delian soundworld. One day it may click for me; I do have virtually everything Delius wrote on my shelves.

I regret that there are folk(lots of them, no doubt!) who don't get Havergal Brian and think his music is seriously flawed in construction and/or in purpose. I shall continue to express my own love of the music without making extravagant claims for it and without comparing Brian to other composers because I find great pleasure in attempting to share an enthusiasm with others. Nothing in music has given me greater delight than in taking along to the RAH a young relative who had not heard a single note of Brian's music and finding him so visibly moved at the end of the performance. :) :)

Albion

Following the magnificent performance of The Gothic, Martyn Brabbins has agreed to become the new President of the Havergal Brian Society, a post left open since the death of Sir Charles Mackerras. This can only be good news as far as future performances and recordings are concerned:

"I accept, with great pleasure and no little pride, your invitation to be HBS President!  As you know, I am a passionate advocate of British music, and having experienced the Gothic last week, am convinced that this is some of the most astounding music to have been penned by an Englishman.  Originality can sometimes be mistaken by those insufficiently well-listened - some critics amongst them - as somewhat ill-conceived.  I think Brian certainly knew what he was trying to do, and we have to work a little harder than usual to make all the necessary strands of his creative voice come into focus. I look forward to extending my knowledge of the output of this extraordinary character and, of playing a role in the Society."
A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it. (SG, 1922)

Dundonnell

Excellent news, Albion!!

Brabbins is a first-rate conductor and a powerful advocate.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Yes, good news. I am very glad Martyn Brabbins accepted. I had lunch with the HBS Committee last Monday where this was discussed. The most important thing is that Brian now has a conductor who is convinced of his quality and has an affinity with his idiom.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

cilgwyn

After his stunning recording for Dutton & the most exciting and,arguably,convincing performance of the Gothic yet,he certainly deserves the appointment. I think he will be an inspiring figure head.

cilgwyn

And not JUST for HBS members!

NB: Just thought I'd 'try out' the 'currently listening to' thingummy & decided to add the 'dolby cassette bit' so I won't keep boring people to death with it.
If I put on James Brown or Millie Jackson I suppose I'll have to add them as well!!!!!
Or what about? Havergal Brian & Gladys Knight & the Pips?

springrite

This is wonderful news. Brian has lacked an advocate for years. Maybe now we will have some truly first class performances and recordings in the coming years!
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

cilgwyn

He could be like Alex Salmond for the SNP!
We could have a Havergal Brian landslide in every constituency!

John Whitmore

I just can't stand Alex Salmond's music. It lacks structure and goes on incessantly.

cilgwyn

Nearly posted a terrible howler in the Martinu thread. I typed out 'The Sexcursions of Mr Broucek' instead of......well.you know. I just caught it in time.
He would have had more fun though.

cilgwyn

Have to say,Dundonnell's post above is very funny. I am of course referring to the bit about the meal. His friend is very lucky that Brian's admirers are all such nice,polite, open minded,tolerant people,

J.Z. Herrenberg

Here is the end of The Gothic plus a big chunck of the ovation (which you can stop watching!)...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oMxbxI3l18
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

John Whitmore

Johan, the ovation proves there is no market for Brian. Good video!

cilgwyn

Applause nearly as long as the symphony. I can feel the tears prickling at my eyes. Someone's got a steady hand!
What would they have done if you'd put a camcorder up on a tripod?

cilgwyn

Someone else had a camera phone (or something like that) in front,I notice.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: cilgwyn on July 21, 2011, 10:10:49 AM
Applause nearly as long as the symphony. I can feel the tears prickling at my eyes. Someone's got a steady hand!
What would they have done if you'd put a camcorder up on a tripod?

Bless my sister's steady hand! Btw - that I uploaded these two vids is illegal. So we'll have to wait and see how long they'll remain where they are...

cilgwyn

Okay,so I'll leave you to guess what I am currently doing.
She's like a human steadicam.

cilgwyn

My mum will enjoy that!

mc ukrneal

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on July 21, 2011, 09:51:23 AM
Here is the end of The Gothic...
Why is everyone standing in that middle section in front of you?
Be kind to your fellow posters!!