Havergal Brian.

Started by Harry, June 09, 2007, 04:36:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J.Z. Herrenberg

I like your thinking, Albion. No, an all-Brian concert is something for a parallel universe. But an evening of Brian and other congenial composers could work. When are you starting as Controller of Music? 
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Albion

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on July 23, 2011, 11:59:47 PMWhen are you starting as Controller of Music?

Due to popular demand, I take up the position on the twelvetieth of the month with an 'x' in it.

;D

A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it. (SG, 1922)

J.Z. Herrenberg

That soon? O happy day!
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

John Whitmore

Quote from: Guido on July 23, 2011, 02:50:22 PM
Where can one get hold of the Schmidt version of the Gothic? I have the Lenard for sure, and downloaded another, which I thought was the Boult but now I'm not so sure. The timings are
11:15
10:36
11:50
Is this the Boult? If so, where can I hear the Schmidt?

Guido, download the Schmidt from Johan's folder. As I mentioned in an earlier post this version has one advantage - the LSO in full cry.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Kenneth Woods has done a real critic's work. Very gratifying. Is Brian entering the main stream?

A few quotes:

"Well, one week ago, if you had told me that much of the last seven days of my life would have been dedicated to trying to get to grips with the music of Havergal Brian, I would have smiled at you with condescending bemusement."

"Love it or hate it, one has to admit that last Sunday's concert has stimulated more discussion and debate, more outrage and admiration than any concert I can remember in a long time."

"My guess, however, is that this week, against all odds, the Gothic became something like a standard-repertoire piece."

"I stand by what I said the piece is in my last post. It's worth the effort because of what Brian has to say about the Great War, about the human psyche pushed to the breaking point, about the bankruptcy of Romanticism. I think the piece is funny, and that the humor has a serious point to make. I think the piece has some of the most compelling evocations of evil, banality, terror and moral outrage I've come across in a while.

Not all of the piece is on the same level- some of the bits that sound like a second-rate imitation of The Planets really bother me, as does some of the music that sounds more like a film soundtrack than a symphony. But, there are lots of "great" works that are not all on the same level. Nothing in the first 3 movements of the Mozart Jupiter is on the same level as the Finale. I still have serious doubts about whether the Gothic is a great work, but it has the makings of one."

http://kennethwoods.net/blog1/2011/07/23/havergal-brian-the-gothic-symphony-at-the-proms-a-few-more-thoughts/

J.Z. Herrenberg

Our very own Philip Legge, after seeing 'The Curse of the "Gothic"'...

http://www.twitvid.com/MMKMB

J.Z. Herrenberg

For your delectation, I here have a link to my Brisbane Gothic folder, with a better-quality recording. Got it from the tooth-fairy. I think it is John Curro who comes closest yet in reproducing the white heat of Brian's inspiration. Which is not to say everything is perfect. But this is a very compelling reading, especially when you hear the enhanced sound...

http://www.mediafire.com/?km7z6cl54mpyv

cilgwyn

Don't wish to intrude,but would you mind if I downloaded the Schmidt,too? This was the first version I ever heard & I recorded (via a cassette recorder propped in front of the radio!). John's descriptions of it are driving me mad!

NB: I have no affiliation with the Aries Record Label or any other Pirate with good taste
      in music.

Also,regarding my comments about the Seventh last night. I would like to point out that my observations about the opening fanfare were not entirely serious. As Johan may know,from previous posts,I am very keen on the Seventh & I actually regard it as one of my favourites. In fact,I'm itching to put it on right now!  As to my Tony Curtis analogy. Tights or not,I think Curtis was a pretty good actor. So,what's wrong with that? As to the why's & wherefore's of Brian's use of that fanare,I'm inclined to agree with Dundonell.
But I did have a cold & it WAS getting late. Aplogies anyway,Luke.

cilgwyn

Just being polite.
Alternative: rob the bank.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Tuck in, cilgwyn, tuck in.

cilgwyn

Thanks!
I haven't heard this version for at least twenty years! Yet it was THE one I grew up with.

Albion

With the opportunity to now access no less than five recordings of The Gothic (Boult, Schmidt, Lenard, Curro and Brabbins) -

:o

- there is plenty of scope for fascinating comparative listening! As with all significant works of art, no one interpretation of it is "definitive" - and that is the way it should be.

:D
A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it. (SG, 1922)

J.Z. Herrenberg

Indeed! These are heady days for Brian lovers (Sforzando - Brianistas). May they become even headier!

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: The new erato on July 24, 2011, 05:19:38 AM
Anybody read this?:

http://www.overgrownpath.com/2011/07/classical-music-beyond-twitter.html

I only read quotes from it. Thanks. Again, the writer attacks the fans, and doesn't seriously engage with the work.

cilgwyn

It IS extroadinary! Meanwhile,'Don Giovanni' & 'The Magic Flute' have been removed from my 5cd changer & have been replaced by the following Brian cd's:

1) No 3 Helios
2 & 3) The emi 'twofer' 0f 7-9 (etc)
4) The Dutton cd of No 10
5) Empty for now,but 'we shall see'?

It can take cd-r's,apparently. Haven't tried them.....yet!

John Whitmore

Quote from: cilgwyn on July 23, 2011, 11:06:06 AM
That was the first Brian Lp I ever bought. I'm in full agreement with you there,John.
It's a pity that the only cd's available are s/h copies sold at less than reasonable prices.
£18.74 on Amazon! That's the lowest I've seen.
Albion's recommendations are d*** good follow ups though.
(Buy 'em all?!!!)
(That's better,three posts in a row is a bit greedy!)

Here's a link to mp3s taken from the Unicorn CD. If you want higher quality let me know and I will upload the files again.
http://www.mediafire.com/?21ruet3g4tmlc

Lethevich

Quote from: cilgwyn on July 24, 2011, 04:40:42 AM
Also,regarding my comments about the Seventh last night. I would like to point out that my observations about the opening fanfare were not entirely serious.

I think it is also Brian having a bit of a Malcolm Arnold moment - where Arnold was of a later generation able to parody pop tunes and the like, Brian's frame of reference was an earlier tradition.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Lethe Dmitriyevich Shostakovich on July 24, 2011, 05:33:24 AM
I think it is also Brian having a bit of a Malcolm Arnold moment - where Arnold was of a later generation able to parody pop tunes and the like, Brian's frame of reference was an earlier tradition.

Exactly! Think of the music-hall song 'Has Anybody Here Seen Kelly?', which he uses as a basis for variations in The Tigers. And which, by the way, also figures in James Joyce's Ulysses.

cilgwyn

Thank you John. I think I have these though. But I shall check. There are so many music files on here now & some are on an external drive,which is currently in a cardboard box! A pity Regis,alto or some label can't re-release them though.
  Going on from Albion's helful suggestions,I suppose I could also recommend the Helios (Hyperion) cd of Brian's 3rd,which I currently have going on in my earole! I first heard this via the Aries LP. I was a teenager then & I had no idea it was a Pirate,although I remember thinking that the 'cover art' was the worst I'd ever seen. Next stop was the Hyperion cassette release of the third. Then I got my first cd player!
  I should have known the Aries Lp was 'dodgy'. I bought if from 'Michael G Thomas. Anyone remember their ads,in the Gramophone classifieds? Their lists were full of strange sounding stuff.