Havergal Brian.

Started by Harry, June 09, 2007, 04:36:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lethevich

Dank je wel, it was nice to read you thoughts.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Renfield

Albion

The much-anticipated second volume in Toccata's Havergal Brian mini-series is now listed as 'in preparation' on their website -

TOCC 0113

This will be a fascinating exploration of orchestral music from Brian's operas, including the relatively well-known Symphonic Variations from The Tigers, but also encompassing previously unrecorded extracts from Turandot (1951), The Cenci (1951-52) and Faust (1955-56).

;D
A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it. (SG, 1922)

J.Z. Herrenberg

Thanks, John! I'm glad to see this lacuna in the Brian discography finally filled. On to the complete operas!
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Lethevich

Sweet, I was especially interested in the Cenci overture from what I had read about the piece. Also seeing the word "Night Ride" in a symphonic piece immediately begs Sibelius comparisons ;)
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Hattoff

Johan,
I have two email addresses for you and I can't remember which is the latest!. If you email me I will send you an invitation to the HB family tree I have compiled.
It's on a newish site called Mundia and is free although you have to sign up for it.

J.Z. Herrenberg

That sounds interesting! My email address is very simple. Just append @gmail.com to my surname...
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Brian

Happy to report that, on NaxosDirect.co.uk, the Naxos "Gothic" is the current #1 bestseller, followed by the new 20/25 release at #4.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Brian on August 13, 2011, 02:18:23 AM
Happy to report that, on NaxosDirect.co.uk, the Naxos "Gothic" is the current #1 bestseller, followed by the new 20/25 release at #4.

The 20/25 is already down to #5, but never mind... This is terrific. I like the '21st anniversary limited edition'. Havergal Brian as a scarce and, thus, desirable good - who would have thought it?!

Brian

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on August 13, 2011, 02:24:53 AM

The 20/25 is already down to #5, but never mind... This is terrific. I like the '21st anniversary limited edition'. Havergal Brian as a scarce and, thus, desirable good - who would have thought it?!

Yes, he is the Maserati of composers. ;D

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Brian on August 13, 2011, 02:36:25 AM
Yes, he is the Maserati of composers. ;D

;D  His detractors would call him the Miserati...  :D

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on August 13, 2011, 02:37:48 AM

;D  His detractors would call him the Miserati...  :D

Or the Miserere . . . .
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

John Whitmore

I assume that you all heard the pre-Proms talk by Sarah Walker that was broadcast immediatley before the Brabbins Gothic. If not here it is (all 44 mins) for you to enjoy.
http://www.mediafire.com/?ogxaa5c56ehp4

J.Z. Herrenberg

I heard it, of course. I liked the horn-player, who all but cursed Brian...  ;D

Dundonnell

I can reveal that Hyperion will be releasing a recording of the 2011 Proms performance in the next month or so!! :) :)

(Apologies if this news has already been posted elsewhere)

J.Z. Herrenberg

That's news to me! Terrific!

Dundonnell

My informant-who just happens to be writing the cd booklet notes ;D-tells me that Hyperion are "rushing" the recording out :)

karlhenning

News to me, as well. (Well, not all that surprising, I do allow . . . .)

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Dundonnell on August 22, 2011, 05:14:35 AM
My informant-who just happens to be writing the cd booklet notes ;D -tells me that Hyperion are "rushing" the recording out :)

Yes, there is money in Brian.  ;D

Dundonnell

I wonder if there was a bidding war ;D

Hyperion v Chandos v Dutton?

Anyway, Hyperion it is!