Havergal Brian.

Started by Harry, June 09, 2007, 04:36:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Whitmore

Quote from: cilgwyn on August 26, 2011, 04:59:01 AM
My apologies John.
But you still hate Bruckner? Not even the fifth?

I prefer Horlicks.

Dundonnell

Quote from: John Whitmore on August 26, 2011, 04:38:55 AM
In an earlier post Johan refers to the liking I have for the 8 symphonies of Benjamin Frankel. He has a very clear unclutterd style which I personally find very appealing. Others won't feel the same. If anyone is interested in listening to this composer's work here is a link to my Mediafire account:

http://www.mediafire.com/?aq78i8vx47ccb

I used to rave about Frankel's music on this forum two years ago(when I was previously active here).....often when I was being accused of trying to put people off music by serialist composers ;D ;D

cilgwyn

No 5 (Frankel not Brian). I particularly remember that one. The cassette copy was in awful sound & the bloke who sent it was apologetic. He was a big admirer of Frankel. What a gorgeous opening. No time to listen to all of it now. Thank you John. Very concise,aren't they? They don't take long to download,either!

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Dundonnell on August 26, 2011, 05:03:15 AM
 If you do actually mean recording then it can't mean the second Toccata cd since that was recorded a year ago.

You're right! I think I know now what they are recording... But I'll have to be silent on that score, alas. Let's wait for the HBS to announce something later.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Dundonnell

cilgwyn

Any 'Wine' or singing involved?
Ok! Don't want to get you banned!

cilgwyn

I wonder if it's the postponed Naxos?
By the way,I notice that no one rushed to defend poor old Milhaud!

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: cilgwyn on August 26, 2011, 06:14:22 AM

Re Naxos: perhaps, but I would be pleasantly surprised.
Re Milhaud: when Mirror Image visits this thread I expect a vigorous defense...
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

cilgwyn

Hm! All will be revealed,no doubt & by you,probably? As to Milhaud,there's so much I shouldn't really judge. I had an old RCA recording with his 'Chansons de Ronsard' on it.The singer made an impression,but I forget who it was. Maybe I'll have a go at one or two of his symphonies. I see that CPO have done him proud!
Mirror Image is a fan,I gather!
Must say,Brian is quite lucky compared to my fellow countryman Daniel Jones. I fear I will be in a bath chair before I receive a nice shiny box set of his complete symphonies through the post!
Maybe he should have written a huge two hour symphony?

Luke

Quote from: cilgwyn on August 26, 2011, 05:02:51 AM
Okay! Okay! You've got me.
But do I HAVE to like Bolero?!!!

I love Ravel more than any human alive, I am pretty sure of that.  ;D  ;D I don't think he wrote a single weak note in his life (and he might be the only composer of whom that can be said). And even I don't listen to Bolero much, except once in a blue moon. But I respect it hugely, mind you, and on the right day, it can blow me away.

John Whitmore

Quote from: cilgwyn on August 26, 2011, 06:14:22 AM

I now offer a vigorous defence of Milhaud. I prefer him to Bruckner. Mind you, that also applies to surgery without an anaesthetic or Welsh claret.

Dundonnell

Quote from: cilgwyn on August 26, 2011, 06:28:10 AM
Hm! All will be revealed,no doubt & by you,probably? As to Milhaud,there's so much I shouldn't really judge. I had an old RCA recording with his 'Chansons de Ronsard' on it.The singer made an impression,but I forget who it was. Maybe I'll have a go at one or two of his symphonies. I see that CPO have done him proud!
Mirror Image is a fan,I gather!
Must say,Brian is quite lucky compared to my fellow countryman Daniel Jones. I fear I will be in a bath chair before I receive a nice shiny box set of his complete symphonies through the post!
Maybe he should have written a huge two hour symphony?

Now that the BBC National Orchestra of Wales has got a brand new shiny young Danish principal conductor maybe he could be persuaded to record some Daniel Jones?

or what about Dutton?

Better Daniel Jones than other interminable 'soft Romantic' meanderings ;D ;D

karlhenning

Quote from: John Whitmore on August 26, 2011, 07:23:57 AM
I now offer a vigorous defence of Milhaud. I prefer him to Bruckner. Mind you, that also applies to surgery without an anaesthetic or Welsh claret.

Hah! But not me, John (and I'm only a recent convert to Bruckner) . . . A.B. invites me back, where D.M. (the symphonies, in particular) can make me wonder why I came in the first place.

Other Milhaud works (L'homme et son désir, e.g.) I'll pound the table for, any day.  I only wish that all his work had been at that level.

Dundonnell

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on August 26, 2011, 07:35:00 AM

Hah! But not me, John (and I'm only a recent convert to Bruckner) . . . A.B. invites me back, where D.M. (the symphonies, in particular) can make me wonder why I came in the first place.

Other Milhaud works (L'homme et son désir, e.g.) I'll pound the table for, any day.  I only wish that all his work had been at that level.

I confess that Milhaud's symphonies all sound much the same to me..............which could never be said of Bruckner ;D (wait a minute...yes it has!...but it aint true!)

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Dundonnell on August 26, 2011, 07:32:56 AMBetter Daniel Jones than other interminable 'soft Romantic' meanderings

Thinking of York Bowen or a certain rugged Yorkshireman, by any chance?  ;D

Dundonnell

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on August 26, 2011, 07:44:56 AM

Thinking of York Bowen or a certain rugged Yorkshireman, by any chance?  ;D

Oh, Johan, how could you infer such.......... ;D

John Whitmore

Quote from: Dundonnell on August 26, 2011, 07:32:56 AM
Now that the BBC National Orchestra of Wales has got a brand new shiny young Danish principal conductor maybe he could be persuaded to record some Daniel Jones?

or what about Dutton?

Better Daniel Jones than other interminable 'soft Romantic' meanderings ;D ;D

Daniel Jones is HUGE in Denmark so there's a fighting chance. What about Bill Mathias? His Sinfonietta was always great fun to play. Grace Williams? Alan Hadenough? The list is endless.

John Whitmore

Quote from: Luke on August 26, 2011, 07:06:18 AM
I love Ravel more than any human alive, I am pretty sure of that. 

I thought he was dead.

karlhenning

Well, I suppose he could love Ravel more than he loves anyone alive, unlikely though it be . . . .

Dundonnell

Quote from: John Whitmore on August 26, 2011, 07:57:34 AM
Daniel Jones is HUGE in Denmark so there's a fighting chance. What about Bill Mathias? His Sinfonietta was always great fun to play. Grace Williams? Alan Hadenough? The list is endless.

Actually, Mathias hasn't done too badly in terms of recordings(all three Symphonies, the Sinfonietta, Piano Concerto No.3, Oboe Concerto, Clarinet Concerto, Horn Concerto, Harp Concerto, lots of the shorter orchestral pieces and two of the big choral works "Lux Aeterna" and "This Worlde's Joie"). A recording of the Violin Concerto wouldn't go amiss though(coupled with the Daniel Jones Violin Concerto, of course ;D)