Havergal Brian.

Started by Harry, June 09, 2007, 04:36:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cilgwyn

Daniel Jones is HUGE in Denmark? Erm,this is the same Daniel Jones,I hope?! Dacapo would be ideal. Maybe his output is a little rhapsodic or uneven at times,but I love the way he,so often, combines rugged and often severe writing with an almost,(but not quite) lush romanticism. His best orchestration glitters. Even at his most severe,he has an ear for colour.He also uses instruments in fascinating ways. The use of an 'orchestral piano' and percussion in his eighth symphony,is a case in point.
I'd KILL for a cpo box set!!!!!

David Wynne (1900-1983),another & very prolific Welsh composer,could also do with some attention from the cd companies.

Dundonnell

Quote from: cilgwyn on August 26, 2011, 08:38:59 AM
Daniel Jones is HUGE in Denmark? Erm,this is the same Daniel Jones,I hope?! Dacapo would be ideal. Maybe his output is a little rhapsodic or uneven at times,but I love the way he,so often, combines rugged and often severe writing with an almost,(but not quite) lush romanticism. His best orchestration glitters. Even at his most severe,he has an ear for colour.He also uses instruments in fascinating ways. The use of an 'orchestral piano' and percussion in his eighth symphony,is a case in point.
I'd kill for a cpo box set!!!!!

David Wynne (1900-1983),another & very prolific Welsh composer,could also do with some attention from the cd companies.

I am afraid that the Danes have probably never heard of Daniel Jones :(

I absolutely agree with what you say about this very fine composer. He reminds me-at times-of the Dane Vagn Holmboe.

I do wish that Symphony No.5 and Symphonies Nos. 10-12 would be recorded!

Dundonnell

Quote from: cilgwyn on August 26, 2011, 08:38:59 AM
I'd KILL for a cpo box set!!!!!

http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,10658.msg265136.html#msg265136

karlhenning

The Eighth Symphony has snuck up on me, rather. I like it markedly better than I recall from the inaugural listen.  Maybe it was a weird day when I first heard it . . . .

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on August 26, 2011, 11:03:13 AM
The Eighth Symphony has snuck up on me, rather. I like it markedly better than I recall from the inaugural listen.  Maybe it was a weird day when I first heard it . . . .

No, it's the way it is with Brian's music. You must get used to it, a piece at a time. Once you're 'through', there is only enjoyment. It took me a dozen of listens to 'get' most of his works. They have to grow on you.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Christo

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on August 26, 2011, 11:17:23 AM

No, it's the way it is with Brian's music. You must get used to it, a piece at a time. Once you're 'through', there is only enjoyment. It took me a dozen of listens to 'get' most of his works. They have to grow on you.

Agreed. I guess we all went through a similar process. Ant there are still a few discs waiting for me  ;D
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Christo on August 26, 2011, 11:21:26 AM
Agreed. I guess we all went through a similar process. Ant there are still a few discs waiting for me  ;D

Enjoy them. Good to 'see' you, Johan!
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Christo

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on August 26, 2011, 11:22:43 AM
Enjoy them. Good to 'see' you, Johan!

I'm still hoping for more pictures of the All Brianites Reunion at the occasion of  Proms' Gothic, in mid July. I should have been there too, but was  navigating my way through the Apennines towards Pistóia, at that very moment ..  ::)
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Christo on August 26, 2011, 11:37:48 AM
I'm still hoping for more pictures of the All Brianites Reunion at the occasion of  Proms' Gothic, in mid July. I should have been there too, but was  navigating my way through the Apennines towards Pistóia, at that very moment ..  ::)

I don't have much. But let's see... There is one I didn't post (I think!), with a 'full frontal' of Luke, Brian looking at the camera, me in profile and my friend Michiel with his back turned. Here it is...

Dundonnell

Where is the photograph/s taken by Jeffrey in the pub afterwards?

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Dundonnell on August 26, 2011, 12:23:50 PM
Where is the photograph/s taken by Jeffrey in the pub afterwards?

Still being developed, I think... Here are you (I posted this already, I believe):

karlhenning

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on August 26, 2011, 12:33:45 PM

Still being developed, I think...

You mean, like . . . that film stuff? That's so 19th century . . . .

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on August 26, 2011, 12:48:45 PM
You mean, like . . . that film stuff? That's so 19th century . . . .

It's the Jeffrey way... We have something to look forward to.

cilgwyn

It makes me feel a bit better about my dolby cassette deck,anyway!
Did you take a Super 8 cine?!!!!!!!!

John Whitmore

J.Z. Herrenberg

Just read it, too. It's always nice when people react. I firmly disagree with the writer's view, of course, that goes without saying.

But now - on with my Saturday!

John Whitmore

Some time ago from this forum I downloaded somebody's MP3 file of the Suite No. 4 played by a school orchestra. I'm quite taken with the piece - it strikes me as being from the same gene pool as Dream Children/Wand of Youth/Nursery Suite. Anyway, I've topped and tailed it, removed the clicks as much as possible, saved as individual movements and reuploaded. Here's the link:

http://www.mediafire.com/?c8eug6qm46949

J.Z. Herrenberg

That Fourth English Suite mp3 came courtesy of Hattoff (Steve), John. Thanks for the edit. I'll have a listen later!

J.Z. Herrenberg

Couldn't help myself - what a haunting and enchanting music this is! Thanks again for the cleaning-up operation. I was suddenly reminded of Mother Goose, but also of Mahler's Wunderhorn music. This piece is a sort of Young Person's Guide to Havergal Brian... Although the performance leaves something to be desired, you can still hear it's good music.

John Whitmore

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on August 27, 2011, 03:26:46 AM
Couldn't help myself - what a haunting and enchanting music this is! Thanks again for the cleaning-up operation. I was suddenly reminded of Mother Goose, but also of Mahler's Wunderhorn music. This piece is a sort of Young Person's Guide to Havergal Brian... Although the performance leaves something to be desired, you can still hear it's good music.
There's a surprise. You are a total addict. Hats off to the kids for at least playing something that's different and (for them) challenging. Encouragement and thanks are in order rather than harsh criticism. I would love to get my hands on the LP to do a proper job but it's the best I could come up with. I've just downloaded your 7/31 folder and will listen to it later.