Havergal Brian.

Started by Harry, June 09, 2007, 04:36:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cilgwyn

Not quite as hi-tech as that acetate,Mirror Image! ;D
(But,one of the reasons I won't be bidding!!!!)

cilgwyn

I've got two old HMV wind up Gramophones. Even they're not hi-tech enough!
(And it would be worh about 1p after they finished with it!)
If it was signed by Havergal Brian,now! (And I'd probably have to busk for the next five years).

Oh,we ARE aware of it (the Hyperion) Mirror Image!!!!! :D

John Whitmore

Quote from: cilgwyn on October 31, 2011, 08:42:28 AM
I wonder how the sound quality of the tape (of the 3rd) compares with the old Aries Lp,by those 'nice' Aries people (they had good taste in music,I'll say that for them!)? I didn't keep mine,unfortunately. I gather the Boult Gothic was supposed to be the best of the batch.
Anyone know?
There are a couple of copies of the Aries Brian 3 on Ebay but they cost an arm and a leg. If anyone has this LP I'm game for doing a CD transfer. I also see that Ebay has the Naxos Brian 4 listed. I must buy it for someone I really hate ;D

cilgwyn

Did you just call us Brian Junkies?(Mirror Image)!!!! :o
(Excuse me a moment,while I shoot up on the 'Wine of Summer'!)

cilgwyn

I've often wondered about those Aries Pirates.The people behind them,I mean. The Lps are 'slagged off' these days,but in 'those days',they did do us Brian admirers a service.....in a way! And they did have interesting taste in music!  Who were they? How & where did they manufacture the Lps? It wouldn't been quite as straight forward then.
Maybe they will reveal their identity,one day & post here. It would be very interesting to 'meet' them......if they're still hale & hearty,of course!!!!

cilgwyn

Of course,they could be on this forum,for all I know! :o

John Whitmore

Quote from: cilgwyn on October 31, 2011, 10:50:55 AM
I've often wondered about those Aries Pirates.The people behind them,I mean. The Lps are 'slagged off' these days,but in 'those days',they did do us Brian admirers a service.....in a way! And they did have interesting taste in music!  Who were they? How & where did they manufacture the Lps? It wouldn't been quite as straight forward then.
Maybe they will reveal their identity,one day & post here. It would be very interesting to 'meet' them......if they're still hale & hearty,of course!!!!
I reckon the Aries pirates were Bob Simpson, Johan Herrenberg and Eric Pinkett. Allegedly.

cilgwyn

I suppose,with Blackbeard the Pirate and Long John Silver out of the picture,it would be!

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: John Whitmore on October 31, 2011, 11:04:15 AM
I reckon the Aries pirates were Bob Simpson, Johan Herrenberg and Eric Pinkett. Allegedly.

You might well think that; I couldn't possibly comment.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

John Whitmore

Quote from: cilgwyn on October 31, 2011, 11:10:58 AM
I suppose,with Blackbeard the Pirate and Long John Silver out of the picture,it would be!
Blackbeard and L J Siver were the balance engineers.

cilgwyn

Or it could be me,when I had that mysterious blackout! :o :o
John,a Das Siegeslied cd could make a nice Halloween present!
Trick or treat?!!!

John Whitmore

Quote from: cilgwyn on October 31, 2011, 11:58:40 AM
Or it could be me,when I had that mysterious blackout! :o :o
John,a Das Siegeslied cd could make a nice Halloween present!
Trick or treat?!!!
Trick. And a really cruel one too.

cilgwyn

Phew! A very intellectual debate going on in 'The Diner' ('tradition betrayed')!!! Mopping brow! This is what happens when you're brought up on Sesame Street! :(
Talking about Masterminds. I don't think Havergal Brian has ever been the 'chosen topic' on Mastermind. I can think of two possible contenders. (Not me,I don't like Quiz Shows! :( )

I've started,so I'll finish! 8)

John Whitmore

As a Ralph Holmes fan I've been hooked big time on his Brian performance. Seemed a shame not to share it. Here's part 1 of 3:
http://youtu.be/bJXPTp15ZPs
Parts 2 and 3 are uploading as I type this.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Good work, John! It's a marvellous performance of a wonderful work and deserves a wide(r) audience.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

cilgwyn

Wonderful. Now,everyone can hear the performance.
I remember playing that old C90,someone posted me,over and over again. Somehow,the new Naxos didn't cast the same spell on me.

A red letter day (night!) for Brian's admirers (and Holmes).

Albion

Quote from: John Whitmore on October 31, 2011, 12:42:13 PMSeemed a shame not to share it. [...] Parts 2 and 3 are uploading as I type this.

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on October 31, 2011, 12:47:55 PMIt's a marvellous performance of a wonderful work and deserves a wide(r) audience.

Of course (given the origin) these are uploaded with Dundonnell's prior approval.

;D
A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it. (SG, 1922)

John Whitmore

Quote from: Albion on October 31, 2011, 01:58:10 PM
Of course (given the origin) these are uploaded with Dundonnell's prior approval.

;D
I hope Dundonnell will he happy with this. Happy to acknowledge him on the clips, of course. It's a great performance.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: John Whitmore on October 31, 2011, 02:02:37 PM
I hope Dundonnell will he happy with this. Happy to acknowledge him on the clips, of course. It's a great performance.

Listening to the final movement... It'd be nice to credit Colin and his already legendary treasure-trove...

John Whitmore

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on October 31, 2011, 02:05:06 PM

Listening to the final movement... It'd be nice to credit Colin and his already legendary treasure-trove...
Colin's surname is Dundonnell? I'll update the video info.