Havergal Brian.

Started by Harry, June 09, 2007, 04:36:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbswebmaster

Philip/Johan,

Imagine the time when the HBS used to loan out reel-to-reel tapes rather than CDs! That's how it was when I joined in 1980. However, we are indeed moving with the times; as you'll see when the website is updated.

John,

We would welcome you into the HBS with open arms! You'd even see your own article which you sent me in the Newsletter in the new year, when there will be a LSSO/Unicorn retrospective.

;)

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: hbswebmaster on November 13, 2011, 08:22:33 AM
Philip/Johan,

Imagine the time when the HBS used to loan out reel-to-reel tapes rather than CDs! That's how it was when I joined in 1980. However, we are indeed moving with the times; as you'll see when the website is updated.

Sounds interesting, Martyn!
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

John Whitmore

Quote from: hbswebmaster on November 13, 2011, 08:22:33 AM
Philip/Johan,

John,

We would welcome you into the HBS with open arms! You'd even see your own article which you sent me in the Newsletter in the new year, when there will be a LSSO/Unicorn retrospective.

;)
I'm getting mixed messages here. Johan told me I wasn't bonkers enough to join the HBS :D You say I would be very welcome. Which is it? I might just join. Thoughts?

springrite

Quote from: John Whitmore on November 13, 2011, 08:49:06 AM
I'm getting mixed messages here. Johan told me I wasn't bonkers ebnough to join the HBS :D You say I would be very welcome. Which is it? I might just join. Thoughts?

Several of us should join. We need to bring varieties of hair colors to the organization.
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: John Whitmore on November 13, 2011, 08:49:06 AM
I'm getting mixed messages here. Johan told me I wasn't bonkers enough to join the HBS :D You say I would be very welcome. Which is it? I might just join. Thoughts?

Bonkers enough about Brian, that is (I implied that very strongly!)  ;D But do join!

Quote from: springrite on November 13, 2011, 08:53:03 AM
Several of us should join. We need to bring varieties of hair colors to the organization.

So say all of us.

Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

hbswebmaster

To paraphrase an old saying, "you don't have to be bonkers - but it helps!". And with 'the release' now only fifteen days away, the level of bonkeredness will be ratcheting up. Special prices for members... newsletters... technological developments in the website department... what more could you wish for?

8)

John Whitmore

Quote from: hbswebmaster on November 13, 2011, 09:47:52 AM
To paraphrase an old saying, "you don't have to be bonkers - but it helps!". And with 'the release' now only fifteen days away, the level of bonkeredness will be ratcheting up. Special prices for members... newsletters... technological developments in the website department... what more could you wish for?

8)
Go on then. How do I sign up for this loony organisation? I simply can't resist any longer.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: John Whitmore on November 14, 2011, 12:52:57 AM
Go on then. How do I sign up for this loony organisation? I simply can't resist any longer.

Morning, John! I don't know if Martyn will be here soon, so I'll help... Here is the order form with all relevant information.
Welcome aboard!

http://www.havergalbrian.org/members/orderformOCT11.pdf

As you can see, you can opt for the Newsletter in digital form, which has three advantages - you get it quickly, it's in colour and it saves the Society money...

(I don't know whether you get a discount because 2011 is almost over, or whether the subscription lasts until November 2012. Martyn will undoubtedly answer that question!)

John Whitmore

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on November 14, 2011, 01:01:07 AM

Morning, John! I don't know if Martyn will be here soon, so I'll help... Here is the order form with all relevant information.
Welcome aboard!

http://www.havergalbrian.org/members/orderformOCT11.pdf

As you can see, you can opt for the Newsletter in digital form, which has three advantages - you get it quickly, it's in colour and it saves the Society money...

(I don't know whether you get a discount because 2011 is almost over, or whether the subscription lasts until November 2012. Martyn will undoubtedly answer that question!)
I'll give it a go. I seem to have totally lost the plot. I will also join the Khachaturian society after lunch and maybe the Hovhaness society later tonight. Time for my medication nurse.........

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: John Whitmore on November 14, 2011, 01:19:25 AM
I'll give it a go. I seem to have totally lost the plot. I will also join the Khachaturian society after lunch and maybe the Hovhaness society later tonight. Time for my medication nurse.........

I'll leave Aram and Alan to you.  ;D Btw, 'Hovhannes' is Armenian for John, so he, too, has a surname which is a first name, like Brian...

John Whitmore

Quote from: John Whitmore on November 14, 2011, 01:19:25 AM
Just paid my 12 quid via Paypal. I hope I don't get bullied for joining. I might have to keep it secret. Some people in Oldham can be very cruel. :D My wife is a member of the UK Johnny Mathis society. He's even worse than Khachaturian.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: John Whitmore on November 14, 2011, 01:28:35 AM
Just paid my 12 quid via Paypal. I hope I don't get bullied for joining. I might have to keep it secret. Some people in Oldham can be very cruel. :D My wife is a member of the UK Johnny Mathis society. He's even worse than Khachaturian.

You can always join the BA... Brianites Anonymous.

Albion

Quote from: John Whitmore on November 14, 2011, 01:28:35 AMSome people in Oldham can be very cruel. :D

If it's still there, just wander past Yates's Wine Lodge on Yorkshire Street around 11.30 on a Friday night...

and all she did was try and start an amicable debate as to whether Ralph Holmes or Marat Bisengaliev was the superior interpreter.

:o
A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it. (SG, 1922)

John Whitmore

Quote from: Albion on November 14, 2011, 02:19:06 AM
If it's still there, just wander past Yates's Wine Lodge on Yorkshire Street around 11.30 on a Friday night...

and all she did was try and start an amicable debate as to whether Ralph Holmes or Marat Bisengaliev was the superior interpreter.

:o
Are you kidding. Yorkshire Street after dark? It's like the wild west. To be charitable to the young lady ( :'( !!) in the trolley, she's just listened to Brian 4. This is how it can affect some people.

hbswebmaster

John,
As another old saying goes, 'You have mail...'

Welcome to the HBS! I'll help you with the arcane ins-and-outs of subscriptions in the fullness of time: I've paid by direct debit for so many years now that I lose track of what and when; it's either a rolling year from joining, or year-end but I'll confirm.

;)

John Whitmore

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on November 14, 2011, 01:26:11 AM

I'll leave Aram and Alan to you.  ;D Btw, 'Hovhannes' is Armenian for John, so he, too, has a surname which is a first name, like Brian...
Are you telling me that my name is Hovhaness Whitmore? Has a certain ring to it :)

cilgwyn

Hovhaness Whitmore? Very snappy!
A bit like listening to all 67 (?) Hovhaness symphonies in a row! ;D

J.Z. Herrenberg

An hour ago on Twitter:

Guy Ritchie, Havergal Brian, Harrison Birtwistle among today's additions. Learn how to pronounce these and other names: hearnames.com

When you go to the site, you see Brian listed among 'Famous English People', rubbing shoulders with Gary Lineker, Harold Shipman and Helena Bonham Carter...

Pronunciation:

http://www.hearnames.com/pronunciations/search/Havergal+Brian.html

John Whitmore

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on November 14, 2011, 10:25:03 AM
An hour ago on Twitter:

Guy Ritchie, Havergal Brian, Harrison Birtwistle among today's additions. Learn how to pronounce these and other names: hearnames.com

When you go to the site, you see Brian listed among 'Famous English People', rubbing shoulders with Gary Lineker, Harold Shipman and Helena Bonham Carter...

Pronunciation:

http://www.hearnames.com/pronunciations/search/Havergal+Brian.html
Gary Lineker, one of Leicester's finest. Truly world class. Harold Shipman was a very naughty boy though.

kishnevi

Quote from: John Whitmore on November 14, 2011, 10:42:30 AM
Gary Lineker, one of Leicester's finest. Truly world class. Harold Shipman was a very naughty boy though.

Who are they? Unlike Ms. Carter, their fame has not made it across the pond (or at least made it to the neck of the woods which I have it.

But it was only yesterday that I learned, courtesy of CPO, that some people actually still use Ingolf  as a first name. (Ingolf Turban--he's a violinist.)