Havergal Brian.

Started by Harry, June 09, 2007, 04:36:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dundonnell

No, no....YOU would be worth reading and therefore worth buying the Guardian for(even if I can't stomach its politics ;D ;D)

Brian

Quote from: Dundonnell on November 19, 2011, 02:11:42 PM
No, no....YOU would be worth reading and therefore worth buying the Guardian for(even if I can't stomach its politics ;D ;D)

Why thank you - but I meant that bad that you would write its name as G********!

Dundonnell

Och...it's just an example of British hyperbolic over-reaction..............(can you have a "hyperbolic over-reaction" ??? ::) :o)

Brian

You Brits can have your hyperbolic over-reactions if we Americans can keep being misunderestimated! :)

Lethevich

Can't we all just get along (and buy the Independant)? :'(
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Brian

Quote from: Lethe Dmitriyevna Pettersson on November 19, 2011, 03:13:11 PM
Can't we all just get along (and buy the Independent)? :'(

Love that paper too. But if Colin doesn't like the Guardian's politics...!!

Lethevich

Hmm, I may admittedly be missing much by not be making side by side comparisons, but my general feeling is that the Independent and the Times are the only papers that don't leave me feeling like I'm reading a political mouthpiece. They have their skews, but both seem to feel an obligation to give the other side a showing as well. This is all the more remarkable considering the Times' owner.

Brian

Quote from: Lethe Dmitriyevna Pettersson on November 19, 2011, 03:41:04 PM
Hmm, I may admittedly be missing much by not be making side by side comparisons, but my general feeling is that the Independent and the Times are the only papers that don't leave me feeling like I'm reading a political mouthpiece. They have their skews, but both seem to feel an obligation to give the other side a showing as well. This is all the more remarkable considering the Times' owner.

I happen to agree that the Independent is remarkably well-done and shows a degree of editorial restraint and poise, but I also think that a lot of the time it makes the Guardian look conservative. Maybe that was my one-year-there limited experience reading them, though.

not edward

Quote from: Brian on November 19, 2011, 03:49:35 PM
I happen to agree that the Independent is remarkably well-done and shows a degree of editorial restraint and poise, but I also think that a lot of the time it makes the Guardian look conservative. Maybe that was my one-year-there limited experience reading them, though.
I don't think that's entirely unfair; however the advantage the Independent always had was that when they had editorial writing of a conservative bent they seemed to look towards the more intelligent conservatives, whereas when the Guardian brought conservative writing in it seemed to me they were doing it mostly to enrage their readers.
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

J.Z. Herrenberg

Returning to HB, I wonder which newspaper he read... He died too early for The Independent, the name suits him. The Daily Symphograph would be appropriate, too!
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Luke

I always thought that he read the Daily Mail, at least to some degree, when it wasn't quite the foul rag it is now, and there was less choice and less information about and...I'm searching for reasons to excuse him! I only think this because I remember reading somewhere in Macdonald or maybe Nettel (or both) something to suggest that he had read articles in that paper.

Dax

With regard to the "hugely impressive" Andrew Clements, members may be interested in

http://ded.increpare.com/~locus/Clements.html

Albion

Quote from: Dax on November 20, 2011, 03:24:15 AM
With regard to the "hugely impressive" Andrew Clements, members may be interested in

Absolutely fantastic!

???

Clements is now collecting his P45.

;D
A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it. (SG, 1922)

J.Z. Herrenberg

Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Lethevich

I've been reading Vol.2 of Brian's journalism recently - such fun! Even when he's making facual mistakes, his understanding of the subjects he speaks on continually offers fascinating observations, often unnoticed or underplayed by others. His focus on the emotional side of Schoenberg's middle and late works has an almost savant-like intuition. I see a lot of supporters of musical modernism trying to underplay the difficulties of the individual techniques involved in the compositions, but when Brian outright ignores such things he genuinely feels this to be true - it's not just an intellectual or pedantic point to him.

Quote from: Dax on November 20, 2011, 03:24:15 AM

:)!

cilgwyn

Ann,unlike certain 'music critics',he knew what he was talking about! :)

John Whitmore

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on November 19, 2011, 10:55:56 PM
Returning to HB, I wonder which newspaper he read... He died too early for The Independent, the name suits him. The Daily Symphograph would be appropriate, too!
I believe he was very keen on the Leicester Mercury and the Shoreham Gazette.

Albion

Sea Pictures, a voluntarily picayune work by the keenly fanatical Elgar, was performed yesterday evening by the nearly complete Alice Coote.

Five Stars.

________

Ave atque vale, a knottily sable piece by the limply gusty Havergal Brian, was played yesterday evening by the kookily tame Garry Walker.

Two stars.

later version, revised after editorial intervention -

The woefully absent Ave atque vale, by the rudely slimy Havergal Brian, was performed last night in a viciously marked manner by Garry Walker.

Five Stars.

________

Under the Moon of Love, a frankly flaky piece by the deeply disgusted Showaddywaddy, was played yesterday evening by the positively mindless Monteverdi Choir.

Three stars.

________

Hours of fun for all the family!

;D
A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it. (SG, 1922)

cilgwyn

Especially Showaddywaddy.
Four stars when danced by Pans People!
With the volume turned down,of course! :D

Brian

My first attempt:

The lightly bawdy Loofah McQuary performed a work by the doubtfully troubled Donadio Abattoir last night, the perfectly blushing Spinach Concerto.
Two stars.