Havergal Brian.

Started by Harry, June 09, 2007, 04:36:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lethevich

Nothing worse than a limp rendition of the Spinach Concerto :)
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

cilgwyn

And we all know what happened to Popeye! :o

Brian

Quote from: Lethe Dmitriyevna Pettersson on November 20, 2011, 09:48:00 AM

A bitter work, especially if it is stretched out and the playing is overheated.

John Whitmore

Quote from: cilgwyn on November 20, 2011, 09:32:47 AM
Especially Showaddywaddy.
Four stars when danced by Pans People!
With the volume turned down,of course! :D
Showaddywaddy. Leicester's finest.

cilgwyn

I hope we're off Spinach now. It's green,contains iron & Popeye ate it,that's all I know. I'm much better on broccoli! :)
By the way,Showaddywaddy and Spinach? If the last two pages of this thread was one of you're first encounters with 'Brianites' you'd be scratching you're head.
Of course,it's Andrew Clements fault!

snyprrr

Quote from: Lethe Dmitriyevna Pettersson on November 20, 2011, 09:48:00 AM

Hmm... so THIS is how the Brian Thread manages to stay at the top?! ::) ::) ::)

cilgwyn

Well,Havergal Brian probably ate some spinach,so,if he DID,there is a connection there,somewhere! :(

cilgwyn

A rave review for the Hyperion release of the 'Gothic Symphony' from Musicweb:

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2011/Nov11/Brian_Gothic_CDA679712.htm

Hope the link works for anyone who hasn't seen it. I'm a 'beginner' at this kind of thing! :( 
No mention of spinach,I'm afraid, :( but it's the 'Recording of the Month'!

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: cilgwyn on November 21, 2011, 11:08:03 AM

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2011/Nov11/Brian_Gothic_CDA679712.htm

Hope the link works for anyone who hasn't seen it. I'm a 'beginner' at this kind of thing! :( 

It works.  ;D
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

John Whitmore

Quote from: cilgwyn on November 21, 2011, 11:08:03 AM

A very good review indeed. The only negative comment was the sleeve. The only thing left for me is an answer to the question - how does it compare sonically with the live radio relay and have the fluffs and dropped mutes been eliminated by patching from the rehearsal tapes? In other words do I stick with what I've already got (perfectly fine) or do I shell out a few bob for an improved product. By the way, I think I'm right in saying that the fiddle solos are played by the BBC NOW leader.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Rob Barnett likes to rave, so nothing new there...  ;) Still, I like his review. Though I am with John that I'd dearly want to know if they have ironed out any of the blemishes that occurred on the night.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

hbswebmaster

The BBC NOW's Lesley Hatfield indeed; there will be an interview with her in the next HBS Newsletter.

Rumour has it that there has been some technical wizardry, so I waiting with bated breath and barely-contained enthusiasm for release day.

;)

J.Z. Herrenberg

hbswebmaster

Hmm, that was quite Harry-Potteresque, wasn't it!

6 days and counting...

;)

J.Z. Herrenberg

Havergal Hufflepuff... But let's not go there.  ;D

John Whitmore

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on November 22, 2011, 02:12:30 AM
Rob Barnett likes to rave, so nothing new there...  ;) Still, I like his review. Though I am with John that I'd dearly want to know if they have ironed out any of the blemishes that occurred on the night.
I tried to iron an LP once. It melted. Luckily it was Brian 4. :D

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: John Whitmore on November 22, 2011, 04:35:47 AM
I tried to iron an LP once. It melted. Luckily it was Brian 4. :D

"Still harping on my Siegeslied" (Polonius, Hamlet)

cilgwyn

Rob Barnett likes to rave? I can just imagine him out in a field,in the middle of nowhere,with a bottle of wkd and the old house music booming! ;D
  While Rob Barnetts reviews are usually interesting & let's face it he was going on about people like Bantock,Bate,and other such neglected figures years ago,when most people weren't interested;he does tend to get a little carried away with his enthusiam,now and again, eg Holbrooke's 'Ulalume' has a 'much stronger lyrical vein than Rachmaninov's 'Isle of the Dead'! Hm! I don't think so! :o

As to 'Das Siegeslied'. I must admit to preferring the York B**** jokes,meself! ;D :o

NB: Just noticed I have now notched 1,005 posts. Also,I have now been reclassified as a 'veteran'! :o :o :o

cilgwyn

Ok.that does it,I'm off to the old people's day centre!

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: cilgwyn on November 22, 2011, 05:32:20 AM
NB: Just noticed I have now notched 1,005 posts. Also,I have now been reclassified as a 'veteran'! :o :o :o

Congratulations, cilgwyn!