Havergal Brian.

Started by Harry, June 09, 2007, 04:36:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J.Z. Herrenberg

I am very glad MI has confirmed what all the others before him have written - that the Brabbins Gothic is stunning. I must be patient...
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Rabbity Baxter

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on December 20, 2011, 12:53:59 AM
I am very glad MI has confirmed what all the others before him have written - that the Brabbins Gothic is stunning. I must be patient...

I listened to it yesterday in fact. And I quite agree about the quality -- really miles ahead of other versions.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Rabbity Baxter on December 20, 2011, 03:06:10 AM
I listened to it yesterday in fact. And I quite agree about the quality -- really miles ahead of other versions.

Very good. And wow, that's a long time ago I have seen you here on GMG... Welcome back!
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Dundonnell

Quote from: John Whitmore on December 20, 2011, 12:25:01 AM
To be very pedantic indeed I doubt very much that half the performers were Welsh. Mainly Engish I think. Same nationality as the composer unless Stoke is now classed as East Wales :D

You will be telling me next that the Royal Scottish National Orchestra and the BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra are "English" too :o

John Whitmore

Quote from: Dundonnell on December 20, 2011, 04:17:52 AM
You will be telling me next that the Royal Scottish National Orchestra and the BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra are "English" too :o
Never heard of 'em :)

Mirror Image

Quote from: John Whitmore on December 20, 2011, 12:19:56 AM
Point 1: Try Mahler 6. Point 2: Make sure to download the Schmidt/LSO and Curro/Brisbane performances. Both free. Both excellent in their different ways. One for the superlative world class playing, the other for its guts, drive and excitement. Don't forget Boult either. Basically just get all of 'em!!

I'm not big on downloading. I'm very much happy with my CDs, but quite honestly, I don't see how Brabbins performance could be improved upon. I think he had the proper vision of this work and he nailed the essence of the work or at least for me he did. By the way, I've heard Mahler's 6th many, many times, but quite honestly I'm not much of a Mahler fan. I like Havergal Brian's music much more than Mahler's.

Anyway, I don't need another Gothic in my collection, because Brabbins really hit this one out of the park. As I said, I can't imagine anyone bettering this performance.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 20, 2011, 08:38:23 AMAnyway, I don't need another Gothic in my collection, because Brabbins really hit this one out of the park. As I said, I can't imagine anyone bettering this performance.

Though it is always instructive to hear different performances, I think Brabbins does the work full justice. There are a few moments where I'd wish he'd slowed down just a bit, but that's nitpicking. On the night itself I was struck by the immense onward momentum and never before had I felt the centrality of the (wonderfully sung!) a capella passage In te Domine speravi so strongly. If he had dragged I wonder if that passage would have moved me as much as it did and does. So - enjoy the Brabbins!

Mirror Image

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on December 20, 2011, 08:59:42 AM
Though it is always instructive to hear different performances, I think Brabbins does the work full justice. There are a few moments where I'd wish he'd slowed down just a bit, but that's nitpicking. On the night itself I was struck by the immense onward momentum and never before had I felt the centrality of the (wonderfully sung!) a capella passage In te Domine speravi so strongly. If he had dragged I wonder if that passage would have moved me as much as it did and does. So - enjoy the Brabbins!

Yes, I'm all for comparing different performances (I do own 26 recordings of Ravel's Daphnis et Chloe ;)), but with the Gothic and Brian, in general, there's not much to choose from. :) But where I'm getting at is I don't want to download music. I want a commercial recording. I want something tangible in my hands --- a hard copy if you will. I think Brian's star has yet to shine, but I do hope Brabbins continues his foray into the Brian symphonies. Yes, that a cappella passage, which I never paid much attention to, really hit me as something special too. I love the way Brabbins then weaved the orchestra in and out of the chorus. Some phrases really being punctuated and emphasized for emotional impact. I was truly impressed with his conducting all the way through.

cilgwyn

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 19, 2011, 02:01:17 PM
Oh, I hope cilgwyn forgives my moronic error! :) Long live the Welsh! :D

I forgive you Mirror Image. Cymru am byth & all that! ;D

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on December 20, 2011, 08:59:42 AM
Though it is always instructive to hear different performances, I think Brabbins does the work full justice. There are a few moments where I'd wish he'd slowed down just a bit, but that's nitpicking.

Not really nitpicking. As you and I have discussed before, I think his rush through the climactic moment of the Vivace ruins it (ruins it for me anyway). Boult blows it too, although for a different reason. Lenard, then, will remain my Gothic of choice. He nails that moment, the "stride from one end of the tonal universe to the other in a split second" ...to quote MacDonald.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

John Whitmore

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 20, 2011, 09:18:02 AM
Yes, I'm all for comparing different performances (I do own 26 recordings of Ravel's Daphnis et Chloe ;)), but with the Gothic and Brian, in general, there's not much to choose from. :) But where I'm getting at is I don't want to download music. I want a commercial recording. I want something tangible in my hands --- a hard copy if you will. I think Brian's star has yet to shine, but I do hope Brabbins continues his foray into the Brian symphonies. Yes, that a cappella passage, which I never paid much attention to, really hit me as something special too. I love the way Brabbins then weaved the orchestra in and out of the chorus. Some phrases really being punctuated and emphasized for emotional impact. I was truly impressed with his conducting all the way through.
I'm totally with you on this one which is why I only use high quality downloads (256 or 320 kbps) and then burn them onto CDs so that I can hold them and stick them into my CD player. I'm not into listening on the computer or via headphones. I only use the computer for editing. All my listening is through speakers - it's the only way you can get a true stereo image after all. You could do this and make extra Brian CDs for a few pence each. It's enabled me to put 5 Gothics on my shelf, all of them with their special moments and flaws. Have I converted you in any way?

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on December 20, 2011, 11:21:33 AM
Not really nitpicking. As you and I have discussed before, I think his rush through the climactic moment of the Vivace ruins it (ruins it for me anyway). Boult blows it too, although for a different reason. Lenard, then, will remain my Gothic of choice. He nails that moment, the "stride from one end of the tonal universe to the other in a split second" ...to quote MacDonald.

Sarge

I can't disagree. Another moment is the penultimate chord of the Judex. Brabbins is a funny conductor in that he has everything under tight control, but when he lets rip he sometimes does so too enthusiastically...

petrarch

Quote from: John Whitmore on December 20, 2011, 12:19:56 AM
Point 2: Make sure to download the Schmidt/LSO and Curro/Brisbane performances. Both free. Both excellent in their different ways. One for the superlative world class playing, the other for its guts, drive and excitement. Don't forget Boult either. Basically just get all of 'em!!

The excerpts I have heard of the Gothic have piqued my ear. I would like to listen to it in full before I get it on CD. Where can I download those performances? Looking forward to become another Brian convert :).

Thanks all,
Paulo
//p
The music collection.
The hi-fi system: Esoteric X-03SE -> Pathos Logos -> Analysis Audio Amphitryon.
A view of the whole

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: petrarch on December 20, 2011, 11:40:57 AMLooking forward to become another Brian convert :).

You won't be allowed into the hallowed inner circle unless you meet the prerequisites:

"...average age about 70, bald scalp and lanky shoulder-length white hair, hanging limply in the latest Benjamin Franklin style; thick glasses, and showing a few conditions that had been cured by the turn of the last century..."

If you meet one or more of those criteria, you're in.

Sarge

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: petrarch on December 20, 2011, 11:40:57 AM
The excerpts I have heard of the Gothic have piqued my ear. I would like to listen to it in full before I get it on CD. Where can I download those performances? Looking forward to become another Brian convert :) .

Thanks all,
Paulo

Nice hearing from you! Look in your Inbox here.

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on December 20, 2011, 11:48:01 AM
You won't be allowed into the hallowed inner circle unless you meet the prerequisites:

"...average age about 70, bald scalp and lanky shoulder-length white hair, hanging limply in the latest Benjamin Franklin style; thick glasses, and showing a few conditions that had been cured by the turn of the last century..."

If you meet one or more of those criteria, you're in.

We don't all aspire to your look.

Karl Henning

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on December 20, 2011, 11:51:03 AM
We don't all aspire to your look.

Well, if you change your mind, and feel like donning period costume, you'd make a great tour guide here in Boston, Johan . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Sergeant Rock

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: karlhenning on December 20, 2011, 11:56:40 AM
Well, if you change your mind, and feel like donning period costume, you'd make a great tour guide here in Boston, Johan . . . .

;D

Karl Henning

Don't rush the decision . . . come visit, and we'll go on the duck tour together : )
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA