Havergal Brian.

Started by Harry, June 09, 2007, 04:36:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: karlhenning on December 20, 2011, 12:03:07 PM
Don't rush the decision . . . come visit, and we'll go on the duck tour together : )

Oh, you make it sound so enticing! I can hardly restrain myself.  :D
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Karl Henning

Hah! But, you know, the duck tour is very popular.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: karlhenning on December 20, 2011, 12:16:42 PM
Hah! But, you know, the duck tour is very popular.

I love ducks. Can I take the tour?  8)

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Karl Henning

Come on over, lad! We'll chowder the fatted clam!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on December 20, 2011, 12:21:28 PM
I love ducks. Can I take the tour?  8)

Sarge

The new season starts March 19. I'll accompany Sarge across the Pond.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Karl Henning

You will both be heartily welcome.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

John Whitmore

Quote from: karlhenning on December 20, 2011, 12:03:07 PM
Don't rush the decision . . . come visit, and we'll go on the duck tour together : )
Is that the glorified floating tank that takes visitors on a river trip? Really peculiar. I loved Fenway Park though. They had a player called Coco Crisp - sounds like a brand of breakfast cereal. Never made it to Symphony Hall unfortunately.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: John Whitmore on December 20, 2011, 12:27:37 PM
Is that the glorified floating tank that takes visitors on a river trip? Really peculiar. I loved Fenway Park though. They had a player called Coco Crisp - sounds like a brand of breakfast cereal. Never made it to Symphony Hall unfortunately.

Native Amerikaner here...but I've never been to Boston. Karl makes it a must destination, though. Someday...

Sarge

petrarch

Coincidentally, I will be returning to Boston next month after my 16-month stint in Hong Kong (and I never went on the duck tour...).
//p
The music collection.
The hi-fi system: Esoteric X-03SE -> Pathos Logos -> Analysis Audio Amphitryon.
A view of the whole

petrarch

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on December 20, 2011, 11:48:01 AM
You won't be allowed into the hallowed inner circle unless you meet the prerequisites:

"...average age about 70, bald scalp and lanky shoulder-length white hair, hanging limply in the latest Benjamin Franklin style; thick glasses, and showing a few conditions that had been cured by the turn of the last century..."

Can I get a junior membership to the club? I promise I will wear a generous white hair wig and glasses during any meetings of the circle to make sure I won't stand out.
//p
The music collection.
The hi-fi system: Esoteric X-03SE -> Pathos Logos -> Analysis Audio Amphitryon.
A view of the whole

J.Z. Herrenberg

Paulo, your hi-fi system is quite impressive... If you should succumb to the rugged charms of The Gothic, you really should buy the Brabbins!

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: petrarch on December 20, 2011, 01:51:18 PM
Can I get a junior membership to the club? I promise I will wear a generous white hair wig and glasses during any meetings of the circle....

The Brian elders will have to vote but I see no problem. We look forward to your initiation into the HB circle.

Sarge

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on December 20, 2011, 02:01:46 PM
The Brian elders will have to vote but I see no problem. We look forward to your initiation into the HB circle.

One elder is waiting already...

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on December 20, 2011, 02:04:34 PM

One elder is waiting already...

Wow!...that's an imposing portrait, Johan  :o  That will scare off the HB poseurs! Only the deadly serious need apply  :D

Sarge

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on December 20, 2011, 02:10:18 PM
Wow!...that's an imposing portrait, Johan  :o  That will scare off the HB poseurs! Only the deadly serious need apply  :D

Thanks! The funny thing is - tomorrow my company website will go online (I'm a freelance editor) with this picture (against a black background)... I hope I don't scare away the customers!  ;D

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on December 20, 2011, 02:12:50 PM

Thanks! The funny thing is - tomorrow my company website will go online (I'm a freelance editor) with this picture (against a black background)... I hope I don't scare away the customers!  ;D

If they're scared, you wouldn't want their business anyway  ;D

Seriously, good luck. Hope the company reaps mega profits  8)

Sarge

J.Z. Herrenberg

Thanks, Sarge. Yes, let's hope so!

Brian

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on December 20, 2011, 11:21:33 AM
Not really nitpicking. As you and I have discussed before, I think his rush through the climactic moment of the Vivace ruins it (ruins it for me anyway). Boult blows it too, although for a different reason. Lenard, then, will remain my Gothic of choice. He nails that moment, the "stride from one end of the tonal universe to the other in a split second" ...to quote MacDonald.

Sarge

That is the one substantial beef I have with Brabbins - Lenard's balances go all funny at times in the third movement, but he communicates more effectively the seismic power of those three chords.

kishnevi

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on December 20, 2011, 02:12:50 PM

Just goes to show what an impact avatars have.  I always pictured Johan and MI to be at least ten or fifteen years older than me because of their avatars even though I know whom the pictures actually show.  Now I find out today that both are, roughly, young enough to be my son.  (Alright,  maybe I should phrase that "I'm old enough to be their father".)

By the way, when you do get to Boston, and take the Duck Tour,  you will pass by one place of historical importance, although the tour guides may not mention it: the Jeffrey Smith Birthplace (known to the vulgate as Beth Israel Hospital). 

You will also want to visit the Museum of Fine Arts, which has one of the best collections of Egyptian mummies in the world.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on December 20, 2011, 07:00:02 PM
Just goes to show what an impact avatars have.  I always pictured Johan and MI to be at least ten or fifteen years older than me because of their avatars even though I know whom the pictures actually show.  Now I find out today that both are, roughly, young enough to be my son.  (Alright,  maybe I should phrase that "I'm old enough to be their father".)

No worries, Jeffrey. I'm just a 29-year old loser who lives with his parents. :) I've almost grown-up.