Havergal Brian.

Started by Harry, June 09, 2007, 04:36:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 20, 2011, 07:12:47 PM
No worries, Jeffrey. I'm just a 29-year old loser who lives with his parents. I've almost grown-up.

And I could be your father, too, like Jeffrey (I'm from 1961)...

@Brian The last time I listened to Brabbins, his tempi swept me along so that I didn't mind the reduced grandeur of that cataclysmic passage.Oh well... The Gothic will be arriving today/tomorrow. I am looking forward to it!
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Mirror Image

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on December 20, 2011, 08:38:04 PM

That's very true. :)

John Whitmore

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on December 20, 2011, 02:04:34 PM

One elder is waiting already...
Johan's photo looks like a geriatric remake of The Matrix.

petrarch

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on December 20, 2011, 01:55:19 PM
Paulo, your hi-fi system is quite impressive... If you should succumb to the rugged charms of The Gothic, you really should buy the Brabbins!

Will surely get it! Listening to the orchestral works of Varèse or Scelsi at concert hall levels is awesome (although in general I prefer chamber music).
//p
The music collection.
The hi-fi system: Esoteric X-03SE -> Pathos Logos -> Analysis Audio Amphitryon.
A view of the whole

John Whitmore

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on December 20, 2011, 07:00:02 PM
Just goes to show what an impact avatars have.  I always pictured Johan and MI to be at least ten or fifteen years older than me because of their avatars even though I know whom the pictures actually show.  Now I find out today that both are, roughly, young enough to be my son.  (Alright,  maybe I should phrase that "I'm old enough to be their father".)

By the way, when you do get to Boston, and take the Duck Tour,  you will pass by one place of historical importance, although the tour guides may not mention it: the Jeffrey Smith Birthplace (known to the vulgate as Beth Israel Hospital). 

You will also want to visit the Museum of Fine Arts, which has one of the best collections of Egyptian mummies in the world.
I beg to differ. Highlighted above -
Point 1: Historical significance? Can't be so. This is the US of A
Point 2: Mummies eh? zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
I heartily recommend a visit to the Red Sox, a meal at the Barking Crab and a couple of pints at Cheers (Samuel Adams is good ale). Quincy market area is very attractive. Beacon Hill really posh. The harbour cruise is OK but they are all much of a muchness aren't they. In summary, skip the history, museums and mummies and enjoy yourself instead ;)

petrarch

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on December 20, 2011, 02:04:34 PM

One elder is waiting already...

I think all HB circle members should be required to get their meeting attire from http://www.gentlemansemporium.com/store/coats.php :).
//p
The music collection.
The hi-fi system: Esoteric X-03SE -> Pathos Logos -> Analysis Audio Amphitryon.
A view of the whole

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: John Whitmore on December 21, 2011, 02:57:37 AM
Johan's photo looks like a geriatric remake of The Matrix.

Us oldies have to keep up.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Dundonnell

Quote from: John Whitmore on December 21, 2011, 03:11:06 AM
I heartily recommend a visit to the Red Sox, a meal at the Barking Crab and a couple of pints at Cheers (Samuel Adams is good ale). Quincy market area is very attractive. Beacon Hill really posh. The harbour cruise is OK but they are all much of a muchness aren't they. In summary, skip the history, museums and mummies and enjoy yourself instead ;)

NEVER skip History ::) :o It has made us what we all are.

Thus spakes one who taught History for 37 years ;D (which locates my age bracket too :))

cilgwyn

I remember my parents dragging me around the museums when I was a youngster. The only thing that interested me? The fascinating collection of shrunken heads!!!  :o

cilgwyn

Nothing about that on Blue Peter! :(

Dundonnell

Quote from: cilgwyn on December 21, 2011, 04:15:08 AM
I remember my parents dragging me around the museums when I was a youngster. The only thing that interested me? The fascinating collection of shrunken heads!!!  :o

I owe my late father both my love of Music and my interest in History.

It is a debt that I can never sufficiently repay and for which I consider myself blessed!!

John Whitmore

Quote from: Dundonnell on December 21, 2011, 03:30:58 AM
NEVER skip History ::) :o It has made us what we all are.

Thus spakes one who taught History for 37 years ;D (which locates my age bracket too :))
Me thinks your new nickname should be Zarathustra.

cilgwyn

I AM actually quite interested in history,particularly local history (Welsh),but not tramping around museums! Art galleries are another thing,even though I like art & actually paint myself.

By the way,is this THE Boston of situation comedy tv fame? The one where everybody knows you're name?

John Whitmore

Quote from: cilgwyn on December 21, 2011, 04:15:08 AM
This collection is now in permanent residence in Westminster. There are similar collections in Brussels and Strasbourg. As a school kid I looked forward to Saturday orchestra rehearsals. The rest of the school week wasn't particularly inspiring, excluding chemistry. As residents of the midlands, twice a year we were dragged kicking and screaming to Stratford to suffer Shakespeare. The bus journey there and back was the highlight. Put me off for life. Never been to theatre since other than the odd occasion when I've been in the pit scraping a fiddle to earn a few bob.

John Whitmore

Quote from: cilgwyn on December 21, 2011, 04:47:21 AM
I AM actually quite interested in history,particularly local history (Welsh),but not tramping around museums! Art galleries are another thing,even though I like art & actually paint myself.

By the way,is this THE Boston of situation comedy tv fame? The one where everybody knows you're name?
1) What colour do you paint yourself?
2) Yes

cilgwyn

Quote from: John Whitmore on December 21, 2011, 03:11:06 AM
Must admit I tend to agree with you about all of this,except the Red Sox,maybe. Harbours? Seen one,seen them all,I say! And mummies are never exciting like they are in the movies! As to Shakespeare? That's what composers and music are for. To liven the old Bard up! I had 'A Midsummer Nights Dream' on only last night & very entertaining it was.......with Felix Mendelssohn's help! ;D

cilgwyn

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on December 20, 2011, 08:38:04 PM

It's going to be like one of those tv soaps,if you are! :o

Karl Henning

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on December 20, 2011, 02:10:18 PM
Wow!...that's an imposing portrait, Johan  :o  That will scare off the HB poseurs! Only the deadly serious need apply  :D

Why, I'm scared off, already! ; )

Still awaiting your visit, gents, to the Hub of the Universe, though!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on December 20, 2011, 07:00:02 PM
You will also want to visit the Museum of Fine Arts, which has one of the best collections of Egyptian mummies in the world.

Only one reason to visit the MFA, of course!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Quote from: petrarch on December 20, 2011, 12:34:02 PM
Coincidentally, I will be returning to Boston next month after my 16-month stint in Hong Kong (and I never went on the duck tour...).

When you're back, let's take some tea.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA