Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on January 31, 2012, 06:53:27 AM
Happy calibrating then...  8)

Yes - 200 pages. Almost scandalous.  ;)
.....and at least 50 of them are devoted to Brian :D

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: John Whitmore on January 31, 2012, 07:26:03 AM
.....and at least 50 of them are devoted to Brian

Your estimate is too conservative.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Albion

Quote from: hbswebmaster on January 31, 2012, 06:23:24 AMhere we are on page 200 of this thread!

Quote from: John Whitmore on January 31, 2012, 07:26:03 AM.....and at least 50 of them are devoted to Brian :D

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on January 31, 2012, 11:28:48 AMYour estimate is too conservative.

Or quite possibly too liberal.

;D
A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it. (SG, 1922)

cilgwyn

Quote from: Dundonnell on January 30, 2012, 06:29:12 PM
I must confess to find it somewhat tedious to be continually reminded that my recording of Agamemnon is not very good :(

Can I respectfully remind you that it was taped on an old reel-to-reel machine back in 1973, ie 39 years ago, in less than satisfactory circumstances. It is incredibly fortunate that the tape survived and has now been made available. The alternative was to have kept the music unheard by anyone but myself.

If someone comes along with a better recording I shall happily withdraw my recording from circulation :)
I remember part of the excitement,back in my teens/early 20's was listening to dodgy off air cassettes of neglected music,via equally dodgy cassette  recorders (no reel to reel here! :() or in brown paper packages sent via the post. And then there were the Hull Youth SO performances with their wierd strained sounding string section &  h...... out of tune,but I'll be kind because they were young. I was VERY intrigued,but I actually began to wonder whether his early works actually sounded like that! :o Strangely enough,I still prefer their Festal Dance & In Memoriam,to the Naxos performances! Not so sure about the rest! :o

The Forlane set with the Symphonic Dances & Variations from 'The Tiger's' was SO exciting. All these years later,I think the performances still sound wonderful (at least to my ears). The same goes for their Parry 3,still my favourite Parry symphony. Oh,and those enigmatic Foulds pieces. What an inspired recording project that was.

As to Agamemnon,my cassette copy was lousy too! The person who sent me the copy had a friend in the erm,you know,society (nuff said!) & a proper cassette deck! :( :o

Actually,I don't think I should be using the word 'lousy'! Not exactly hi-fi,but pioneering of spirit,perhaps! (Sorry Dundonnell,no offence! ;D)

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: cilgwyn on January 31, 2012, 12:18:12 PM
Strangely enough,I still prefer their Festal Dance & In Memoriam,to the Naxos performances! Not so sure about the rest! :o

Doctor Merryheart is good, too, especially the coda, where you get a wonderfully crisp morning atmosphere.

QuoteThe Forlane set with the Symphonic Dances & Variations from 'The Tiger's' was SO exciting. All these years later,I think the performances still sound wonderful (at least to my ears).

They do. Green Pastures, with its close-miked vibraphone, is ravishing.

QuoteAs to Agamemnon,my cassette copy was lousy too! The person who sent me the copy had a friend in the erm,you know,society (nuff said!) & a proper cassette deck! :( :o

I have a cassette copy, too. Colin's is superior...
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Dundonnell

I am (slightly) sorry for getting cross about the comments on recording quality of the Brian works I have made available but frankly, until the works in question are recorded properly on cd or someone else can come up with better off-air recordings(either or both of which eventualities I shall be the first to acclaim and applaud :)), we are fortunate to be able to hear the music at all. The alternative is silence :(

cilgwyn

John's possibly in bed,so I'll risk saying,I agree with you Johan,about Dr Merryheart,too! ;D. Their youthful enthusiam & optimism win through,scrapy strings or not! The Naxos performances beat them,hands down in terms of professional musicianship,but to my admittedly,unqualified (I can't play,like John) they sound drab & humourless. Not that they aren't good,but they lack that spark.It's as if they're just going through the motions,another studio session,perhaps.
Youthful ardour,that's it! The music really MEANS something to those young Hull musicians & they're determined to give it their all,which gives the performances that extra 'oomph!',scrapy,out of tune strings or not!
So there,John! ;D.....who is a musician,so I'd better look out! :o

Regarding you're recordings. I certainly have no problem with them,Dundonnell (see above post). They remind me of the 'good old days'! I just wish I'D had a tape recorder like yours,THEN! :(

John Whitmore

Quote from: cilgwyn on January 31, 2012, 04:54:44 PM
John's possibly in bed,so I'll risk saying,I agree with you Johan,about Dr Merryheart,too! ;D. Their youthful enthusiam & optimism win through,scrapy strings or not! The Naxos performances beat them,hands down in terms of professional musicianship,but to my admittedly,unqualified (I can't play,like John) they sound drab & humourless. Not that they aren't good,but they lack that spark.It's as if they're just going through the motions,another studio session,perhaps.
Youthful ardour,that's it! The music really MEANS something to those young Hull musicians & they're determined to give it their all,which gives the performances that extra 'oomph!',scrapy,out of tune strings or not!
So there,John! ;D.....who is a musician,so I'd better look out! :o

Regarding you're recordings. I certainly have no problem with them,Dundonnell (see above post). They remind me of the 'good old days'! I just wish I'D had a tape recorder like yours,THEN! :(
I don't rip youth orchestras to bits. Without youth orchestras there will be no future. I also like some of the Hull performances. How the orchestra compares to the National Youth,LSSO, Kent Youth, Essex Youth, London SSO (the top youth ensembles of the 1970s) is neither here nor there but people will make their own judgements using their own ears. At least they had a go and made the music available. The strings are always the issue with school groups and this is where the Hull orchestra do leave a lot to be desired compared to the above list. Youthful commitment quite often outshines bored professionals.There we go -  positive criticism. By the way - despite the general excellence we gave some terrible concerts with the LSSO. You know the sort of thing, a wet Tuesday night in a school hall out in the sticks with an audience of 6 geriatrics, 3 kids and a dog. It's hard to be inspired or bothered all of the time. The smallest audience we ever had was in Copenhagen at a live radio concert. I'll give you a clue. It was just less than 3. I kid you not :D

John Whitmore

Quote from: Dundonnell on January 31, 2012, 04:42:56 PM
I am (slightly) sorry for getting cross about the comments on recording quality of the Brian works I have made available but frankly, until the works in question are recorded properly on cd or someone else can come up with better off-air recordings(either or both of which eventualities I shall be the first to acclaim and applaud :)), we are fortunate to be able to hear the music at all. The alternative is silence :(
Take no notice. Let the critics choose silence. Recording quality is neither here nor there.

John Whitmore

Sorry to go off topic but as a devoted fan of Bruckner I thought this might be of interest.
http://www.klassichaus.us/Garage-Sale-Classics.php
Scroll down to the 3rd item.
Or if you like Tippett, Mathias or Arnold try these two:
http://www.klassichaus.us/index.php
Cheap as chips and very good too. Better than that Hull mob......... ;D

J.Z. Herrenberg

I downloaded the Sixth Symphony last night. I'm having a Bruckner festival here at home (don't scream, John).

Dundonnell

Quote from: John Whitmore on January 31, 2012, 10:56:25 PM
Take no notice. Let the critics choose silence. Recording quality is neither here nor there.

Thanks, John :) I appreciate your comment ;D

John Whitmore

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on February 01, 2012, 04:47:44 AM
I downloaded the Sixth Symphony last night. I'm having a Bruckner festival here at home (don't scream, John).
Johan, following my email to you 10 minutes ago I'm trying the slow movement of Bruckner 6 again. You see, I downloaded the Brucker 6 as well. Yes, that's what I said everyone. I downloaded Brucker 6. Having got through the 1st movement without coming to any damage I got as far as  6 minutes into the slow movement and lost the will to live. Luckily a phone call triggered me out of my suicidal leanings. Johan wondered why Bruckner's "music" (cough) was so impenetrable to me and my answer was blunt but straight forward - it's complete and utter rubbish :D Ah that's better. The slow movement has finished. Johan, you say it's sublime. Each to their own and good luck to you. I'm going to put some muisc on now for a treat. I deserve it.
PS The transfer is good despite the symphony. Glad it only cost 2 quid.

J.Z. Herrenberg

John and I both connect Bruckner with death, but in a very different way. John almost dies listening to the Adagio of Bruckner's Sixth, whereas I am seriously considering having it played at my funeral (killing all the mourners in the process, as John would undoubtedly add...  ;D  ).

John Whitmore

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on February 01, 2012, 07:04:01 AM
John and I both connect Bruckner with death, but in a very different way. John almost dies listening to the Adagio of Bruckner's Sixth, whereas I am seriously considering having it played at my funeral (killing all the mourners in the process, as John would undoubtedly add...  ;D  ).
I hope you have many years ahead of you and the funeral isn't too soon but if this is your plan please strike my name off any potential guest list (or is it a mourners list?).

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: John Whitmore on February 01, 2012, 07:46:14 AM
I hope you have many years ahead of you and the funeral isn't too soon but if this is your plan please strike my name off any potential guest list (or is it a mourners list?).

I'll inform my daughter (12).

cilgwyn

Cheerful Charlie Chester's,eh? :o Actually,I have always thought that the second movement of the Gothic would make a very grand and stirring send off for 'yours truly'! It would set the mood nicely for the subsequent party (all two mourners! :()
It would have to be Ole Schmidt,because that's the one I heard first & listened to the most as a youngster,and preferably full blast & hopefully,enough to wake the dead! ;D

Which Brian work would you want at YOU'RE funeral?!!!! :o

Dundonnell

I would attend, Johan ;D The Bruckner would certainly not put me off ;D

..........but I suspect that you will outlive me :)

Dundonnell

Quote from: cilgwyn on February 01, 2012, 08:38:30 AM
Cheerful Charlie Chester's,eh? :o Actually,I have always thought that the second movement of the Gothic would make a very grand and stirring send off for 'yours truly'! It would set the mood nicely for the subsequent party (all two mourners! :()
It would have to be Ole Schmidt,because that's the one I heard first & listened to the most,as a youngster,and preferably full blast & hopefully,enough to wake the dead! ;D

Which Brian work would you want at YOU'RE funeral?!!!! :o

No...not HB I am afraid :(  Has to be the closing pages of Mahler's 2nd :) Not that I am expecting to be resurrected ;D

cilgwyn

You never know! :o
Janis Joplin has been another considered option. I mean,the singer,not the composer,of course. (I remember my mother asking me if she was related to Scott!!! :o)

Appropriately chosen excerpts from her,'I got dem Ol' Kozmic Blues album,would suit me right down (literally) to the ground! :o