Havergal Brian.

Started by Harry, June 09, 2007, 04:36:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dundonnell

Quote from: Winky Willy on February 25, 2012, 01:45:30 PM
Also does anyone have recordings of the Music Dramas? (Agamemnon, the Cenci, Turandot)?

Yes...I recorded 'Agamemnon' from BBC Radio back in 1973 on reel-to-reel tape :)

Winky Willy

Have you converted it to digital files and put it on your computer?

Winky Willy

(As may be obvious from all my questions and attempts to get recordings, I am a HB fan, who was born to late to hear all these performances on the radio, and has no other way to get them. I am especially interested in the music dramas, as welll as Prometheus Unbound, but THAT, sadly, is lost to all! Thanks everybody for any help you give me!)

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Winky Willy on Today at 00:41:31
(As may be obvious from all my questions and attempts to get recordings, I am a HB fan, who was born to late to hear all these performances on the radio, and has no other way to get them. I am especially interested in the music dramas, as welll as Prometheus Unbound, but THAT, sadly, is lost to all! Thanks everybody for any help you give me!)

WW, it's a bit late where I live, but all your questions can be answered and the radio performances of all the symphonies are 'out there'. Colin (Dundonnell) can help you, and so can I. We also have the Webmaster of the HBS website dropping by every other day. Be patient and your HB knowledge will explode. Check my profile for my email address by clicking on my name.

--Johan
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Dundonnell

Winky Willy

cilgwyn

This is where it all happens! ;D
My ancient cd player is now playing my cd-r of Spohr symphonies. Second time lucky.The first time I put it in it stopped after every track. Now it's playing the cd all the way through,fingers crossed. Anyone know why this happens? Perhaps it didn't scan the cdr properly the first time or it's a slow learner!!!
I was actually contemplating transferring my cdr to a D90 cassette!!!! :o

Now it's stopped again! :(
Annoying! It does say it plays cd-r's!!!

A bit too late to answer these kind of queries,of course! Especially when I'm playing Louis Spohr! :o

kishnevi

Quote from: cilgwyn on February 25, 2012, 03:58:40 PM
This is where it all happens! ;D
My ancient cd player is now playing my cd-r of Spohr symphonies. Second time lucky.The first time I put it in it stopped after every track. Now it's playing the cd all the way through,fingers crossed. Anyone know why this happens? Perhaps it didn't scan the cdr properly the first time or it's a slow learner!!!
I was actually contemplating transferring my cdr to a D90 cassette!!!! :o

Now it's stopped again! :(
Annoying! It does say it plays cd-r's!!!

Try ripping and burning a new CD with a different program (or try playing it in your DVD player or your car's CD player).  My CD player will, every so often, not recognize the encoding of a commercially produced CD that plays fine in my DVD, car or computer.  There's no discernible reason.  I have heard that some I-Tunes stuff has trouble with the concept of not stopping after every track--something like that should be solved by burning a new CD.

BTW, I PM'd you about Delius.  (Didn't see a need to bother the others here with it.)

cilgwyn

Thanks!I'll have a look there,now. Yes.I shouldn't be droning on about unrelated cd deletion gripes,here!
The cd burner I used this time was a free program called CD Burner XP. The cd-r used is a Maxell 700mb 52x. (They're cassettes used to be ok! ;D) I can load it into my 5cd changer tommorrow,if it comes to the crunch. I may have done something wrong. A bit late to research now! But it's one track then you have to manually move the b***** to the next track! :(

Winky Willy

Would anyone happen to have the Boult Gothic for download? That was broadcast, wasn't it?

hbswebmaster

Greetings Winky Willy.

Good to see you here; it's great that the 'younger generations'(!) are turning on to Brian as well as us 'oldies'.

Some answers to your questions:

- Yes, many of Brian's scores are and continue to be set in Sibelius; however these are not publicly available as this is an ongoing process being undertaken by the Brian Society in association with Brian's publishers UMP to make sure that accurate scores and parts are available for future performances.

- The HBS maintains a recordings library for its members, of non-commercially-available recordings.This includes the music dramas. 'Faust' and 'Turandot' have never been performed in full, although the Prologue in Heaven from Faust was recorded (with Sir Charles Mackerras conducting) and broadcast in 1979, and the Night-Ride of  Faust & Mephistopheles was included on the recent Toccata Classics CD of music from the operas, that also includes substantial orchestral excerpts from Turandot.

- The Boult Gothic was released on CD by Testament a couple of years ago. The CDs also contain an interview with Brian.

:)

John Whitmore

Quote from: Winky Willy on February 25, 2012, 07:55:01 PM
Would anyone happen to have the Boult Gothic for download? That was broadcast, wasn't it?
Rodney,
I've just emailed you.

cilgwyn

The cdr's work perfectly on my 5cd changer. As I said,it was an ancient old cd player! What did I expect?!!! Thanks for the suggestions,anyway Jeffrey & the message. I will have took into these cd burning issues a little more deeply,anyway. But my 'burned' Louis Spohr symphonies sound lovely now. Beethoven must be rolling in his grave! (I doubt it,but I like this music.Nice & restful!)

Glad you found the help you need WW! It's not that I didn't want to help (excuses! :o),but with my skills it could take ten years & there are experts like Johan,John & the hbs webmaster himself,here. Indeed,it's partly (largely)thanks to Johan that I can upload,hyperlink & do things like that,at all!

John Whitmore

Quote from: cilgwyn on February 26, 2012, 03:54:03 AM
The cdr's work perfectly on my 5cd changer. As I said,it was an ancient old cd player! What did I expect?!!! Thanks for the suggestions,anyway Jeffrey & the message. I will have took into these cd burning issues a little more deeply,anyway. But my 'burned' Louis Spohr symphonies sound lovely now. Beethoven must be rolling in his grave! (I doubt it,but I like this music.Nice & restful!)

Glad you found the help you need WW! It's not that I didn't want to help (excuses! :o),but with my skills it could take ten years & there are experts like Johan,John & the hbs webmaster himself,here. Indeed,it's partly (largely)thanks to Johan that I can upload,hyperlink & do things like that,at all!
Blimey! Whatever next - joined up writing?

cilgwyn

J.Z. Herrenberg

Potty-training cilgwyn was my biggest triumph.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

springrite

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on February 26, 2012, 06:22:04 AM

Yeah, but doing it with rope?
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

cilgwyn

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on February 26, 2012, 06:22:04 AM
Better keep that one under the old belt,eh,Johan! Don't want everyone to......AHEM,so the Hyperion Gothic's been getting some more good reviews,has it?!!! :o

J.Z. Herrenberg

Yes, reaction to it has been very favourable so far, cilgwyn! [ROPE?!]