Havergal Brian.

Started by Harry, June 09, 2007, 04:36:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cilgwyn

Just in case anyone doesn't know,'The Complete Havergal Brian Songbook Vol 1 cd,is now available to order on the Stone Records website.

Johan won't need to be told,of course ;D!!!

NB: Ye olde cheque book may be required!!!

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: cilgwyn on Today at 01:52:20Just in case anyone doesn't know,'The Complete Havergal Brian Songbook Vol 1 cd,is now available to order on the Stone Records website.  Johan won't need to be told,of course!!!NB: Ye olde cheque book may be required!!!

No, I don't need to be told - I ordered last week through the HBS. I hope to be able to report back about vol. 1 in a few days' time...

And now back to sleep!

Oh... That Slezak story is indeed correct. I came across it a few times in books about Mahler.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

J.Z. Herrenberg

Yes!

Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

cilgwyn

The Proof! ;D A nice view of you're well stocked book shelves,too! I can see 'The Lord of the Rings',there & some Bruckner,I think? :)

J.Z. Herrenberg

Indeed... Don't let John see all my Bruckner CDs... And just below the CD you can see a score of Magnard's Chant funèbre...

P.S. I just discovered that Stone Records is based in Haywards Heath, West Sussex - I was there in 1986, visiting a member of the HBS, Dai Davis (yes, of Welsh extraction)...

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: J.Z. Herrenberg on April 11, 2012, 01:42:19 AM
Yes!

Confederacy of Dunces...excellent! One of my favorite novels. Top 10, in fact.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on Today at 14:06:09>Confederacy of Dunces...excellent! One of my favorite novels. Top 10, in fact.

Sarge

A great novel. My cousin always called me Ignatius, because there were a few similarities (then, 1980s) between its protagonist and me (not his weight, by the way!)

J.Z. Herrenberg

For Cilgwyn, the cassette freak (just found this on Facebook - very funny)...

cilgwyn

;D I was just looking for one of those the other days! :(

A thought entered my head. Was it just by accident those bic pens fitted those cassettes so well? There was always one lying around. They were (almost) everywhere! And what if they hadn't fitted them? What would you have used? Nothing else ever seemed to fit as well! Other pens were either smooth,or if they were the right shape,too thin! For the average music lover,life could have been very difficult without those bics! :(

Also,did bic make them like that,knowing that they were used for that purpose? You always knew if it wasn't a real bic. Even if it looked exactly like one,it wouldn't fit! :(

Incidentally,I know bics had other assorted usages,besides writing & winding tape! Some I wouldn't care to put in print! :o

cilgwyn

Another theory bites the dust! After trying two staedtler pencils,the free ball point from cartidgesave with the rubberised grip did a very good job of rotating a D90 cassette. Although,it didn't actually fit,it just gripped. So,maybe there is something in the 'bic theory',after all?!!!
  Those boffins at the Hadro wotsit collider will be looking into this,soon. Mark my words!

Incidentally,the free pen ploy didn't work. I started getting my ink cartridges from someone else! :)

NB: Completely off topic. Naxos are releasing a new recording of Delius's 'Mass of Life',aren't they? Not being able to get the Groves at a reasonable price & with emi's current obsession with reissuing recordings in multi box sets,this could be a nice,affordable alternative! Nice one,Naxos! :)

cilgwyn

Quote from: J.Z. Herrenberg on April 11, 2012, 04:10:57 AM
Quote from: Sergeant Rock on Today at 14:06:09>Confederacy of Dunces...excellent! One of my favorite novels. Top 10, in fact.

Sarge

A great novel. My cousin always called me Ignatius, because there were a few similarities (then, 1980s) between its protagonist and me (not his weight, by the way!)
Hadn't heard of this book! Tut! Tut! I looked it up immeadiately. The story behind it is a veritable novel in itself!!! Although,as a budding author myself,being awarded a literary prize after I'm dead could be a bit of a downer! :( :( :(

Memo: Must move 'John and Jane' to the bottom shelf! :(

Regarding the Stone Records cd. I think I will order it at the end of this month!

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: cilgwyn on 11-04-2012, 15:48:22
NB: Completely off topic. Naxos are releasing a new recording of Delius's 'Mass of Life',aren't they? Not being able to get the Groves at a reasonable price & with emi's current obsession with reissuing recordings in multi box sets,this could be a nice,affordable alternative! Nice one,Naxos! :)

Really? I didn't know that. Not many people seem to like 'A Mass of Life', but I love it. It's Delius's grandest statement, and manages to be intimate as well.

cilgwyn

I should move to the Delius thread,but I must sat that,in lieu of the Groves,this is a timely release. I hope it's a good one. I will look at the reviews first,of course! (I really Do hope that emi will,eventually,release the Groves recording,separately!)

(Note,I'm filling in here a little,aren't I? ::) ;D) I look forward to your in depth review of the HB Complete Songs cd!

J.Z. Herrenberg

I listened to the CD today... Whether I'll give an 'in-depth review', I don't know. It's better others listen to it first, too. I can say two things, though: 1) there are a few unknown (never recorded) songs here I liked very much, they really added to my Brian knowledge; 2) it's a pity not more singers have taken up Brian's songs since Cook's sterling work, I had difficulty eradicating the latter's performances from my brain... The coming days I'll listen to the CD again (and again)...

John Whitmore

Quote from: J.Z. Herrenberg on April 11, 2012, 01:42:19 AM
Yes!
That's a nice little mirror you have Johan. Has anyone ever told you that you look like Havergal Brian?

John Whitmore

Quote from: J.Z. Herrenberg on April 11, 2012, 03:52:31 AM
Indeed... Don't let John see all my Bruckner CDs... And just below the CD you can see a score of Magnard's Chant funèbre...

P.S. I just discovered that Stone Records is based in Haywards Heath, West Sussex - I was there in 1986, visiting a member of the HBS, Dai Davis (yes, of Welsh extraction)...
Too late. Just spotted 'em.

John Whitmore

Quote from: J.Z. Herrenberg on April 11, 2012, 02:30:39 PM
Quote from: cilgwyn on 11-04-2012, 15:48:22

Really? I didn't know that. Not many people seem to like 'A Mass of Life', but I love it. It's Delius's grandest statement, and manages to be intimate as well.

Great piece by Fred IMHO. Naxos have just issued the 1956 Olso/Flagstad Gotterdammerung. Patchy but worth it for Flagstad. Oh, sorry, I thought this was theDelius/Wagner thread. I'll push off.......

John Whitmore

Quote from: J.Z. Herrenberg on April 11, 2012, 04:18:40 PM
I listened to the CD today... Whether I'll give an 'in-depth review', I don't know. It's better others listen to it first, too. I can say two things, though: 1) there are a few unknown (never recorded) songs here I liked very much, they really added to my Brian knowledge; 2) it's a pity not more singers have taken up Brian's songs since Cook's sterling work, I had difficulty eradicating the latter's performances from my brain... The coming days I'll listen to the CD again (and again)...
Otherwise known as Unicorn Syndrome.

John Whitmore

I have nothing to say but thought I would like to achieve 5 consecutive posts. Sorted! Off to paint my kitchen table and chairs now. What joy.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Your multiple contributions have been noted and very much appreciated. (This reminds me - I still must take a look at your two pieces...)