Havergal Brian.

Started by Harry, June 09, 2007, 04:36:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbswebmaster

I have it on good authority that it was Eastaugh, p316: "He had long considered The Beatles talented...". It's been many years since I read the Eastaugh and hadn't remembered that statement, but what made a link for me was that when I was reviewing some of the recent Brian discs (particularly the Toccata volume 1) a good while back, it occurred to me then that there was a potential Beatles connection (although not a musical one that I can find) with Ave atque vale, Brian's penultimate composition from 1968. This was completed in May 1968, just a few months after the Beatles had been at the top of the charts over New Year 1968 with Hello Goodbye - surely a modern-day translation of Ave atque vale. A quote from Catullus maybe, and aware of his mortality, stated to be a purely abstract work by the composer himself certainly - but maybe more of a humorous nod at Lennon/McCartney?

Just a thought.

;)

John Whitmore

Quote from: hbswebmaster on May 21, 2012, 12:45:26 AM
I have it on good authority that it was Eastaugh, p316: "He had long considered The Beatles talented...". It's been many years since I read the Eastaugh and hadn't remembered that statement, but what made a link for me was that when I was reviewing some of the recent Brian discs (particularly the Toccata volume 1) a good while back, it occurred to me then that there was a potential Beatles connection (although not a musical one that I can find) with Ave atque vale, Brian's penultimate composition from 1968. This was completed in May 1968, just a few months after the Beatles had been at the top of the charts over New Year 1968 with Hello Goodbye - surely a modern-day translation of Ave atque vale. A quote from Catullus maybe, and aware of his mortality, stated to be a purely abstract work by the composer himself certainly - but maybe more of a humorous nod at Lennon/McCartney?

Just a thought.

;)
...........and Eddie the Eagle was a world class ski jumper.... ;D

hbswebmaster

John! I'm shocked. I prefer listening to Lennon/McCartney than Moza..... (ducks rapidly after having prodded a hornet's nest!)

:D

cilgwyn

Well,ya never know! ::) ;D ;) Isn't HB one of those characters on the sleeve of Sgt Pepper? ;D In between Mae West & Diana Dors? (Or is it WC Fields?).
I like to think HB might have been partial to The Velvet Underground or even 'The Doors'! But maybe not!!! One things for sure,he wasn't a Rolling Stone man.
Strange to think that might have heard The Grateful Dead',if he'd left his transistor radio on the right channel,long enough!

Incidentally,talking about 'eagles'. The Mark Stone HB songs cd has landed,and my initial response is VERY positive!
Of course it's a bit too early to have really absorbed the contents of this cd (or swat that annoying tiny fly in front of my monitor!),but a couple of observations:

1) I LIKE his voice! :)
2) The accompanying booklet is commendable
3) The purely instrumental tracks are a nice idea.
4) I need more time to assimilate the 'new' songs.
5) The booklet glue reminded me of those old, Melodiya Lp
    (Soviet era) boxed sets,but it's thankfully a good deal fresher!
6) The included music is far too early too include any possible
     allusions to The Beatles,or Mr Mick Jagger! >:D

* My typing has gone like Sesame Street! :(

J.Z. Herrenberg

I am glad you like the CD, cilgwyn! I am still not convinced, but will listen again tonight. 'Give Stone A Chance'.  ;)
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

cilgwyn

I will be listening again,but my initial response is very positive. In between,I need to check out a s/h cd of Gardiner's period instrument performance of Berlioz's 'Symphonie Fantastique',just to make sure it's okay! I wonder if I'll like that?!!!! :o ::)
I have to say,I like the way you get a bit of background on each song. Although,I haven't had time to read these properly yet,though. The booklet notes also bring up the dark side of Brian :o. The drinking,his eye for the ladies  and the temper tantrums! I was also a bit suprised & a little doubtful about the incorporation of purely instrumental music,but having actually listened to the whole cd now,albeit casually,on headphones,I think these add variety to the content. In fact,I think they work very well,indeed.

J.Z. Herrenberg

I think the instrumental contributions are very good. The 'Legend' gets its best and most impassioned performance so far, I think.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: cilgwyn on May 21, 2012, 03:55:28 AMThe booklet notes also bring up the dark side of Brian :o. The drinking...

"A musician who has not sung drunkenly at midnight is not worthy of the profession."

From this thread   8)

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

J.Z. Herrenberg

;D

(It's clear this ascetic's similarities with Brian are purely artistic... !)

cilgwyn

Dark side of the Brian! Or,to quote,'Some like it hot'. "Nobody's perfect!" (Gombert,or, Gesualdo,he's not!) Like Berlioz,he was consumed by the creative fires.You've got to be stormy & temperamental,to compose music like the 'Gothic'. At least,for a while! ;D
Currently listening to that Gardiner Berlioz cd. Phew! Very interesting,yes! An increase in clarity,yes! But I'm not sure an innovator & fan of big orchestral sounds,like Berlioz,would have been too crazy about this?
Not saying I don't like it,mind. Those clean textures are often very bracing,but.............

Haven't got to the all important 'scary bits' yet,though!

John Whitmore

Quote from: hbswebmaster on May 21, 2012, 02:35:41 AM
John! I'm shocked. I prefer listening to Lennon/McCartney than Moza..... (ducks rapidly after having prodded a hornet's nest!)

:D
How very dare you. They wrote decent enough songs but McCartney is always out of tune and as for Ringo on drums. Give me strength. He's so bad he probably wasn't even the best drummer in the Beatles.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: John Whitmore on May 21, 2012, 04:33:12 AM
How very dare you. They wrote decent enough songs but McCartney is always out of tune....

That's part of his charm  8)

Sarge

Karl Henning

Quote from: hbswebmaster on May 21, 2012, 02:35:41 AM

No, no, you do not anger us in the least . . . only invoke the very deepest of our pity ; )
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

cilgwyn

This is a great Beatles thread! I'm starting to wish I'd had 'Rubber Soul' through the letterbox,this morning,not that pesky Havergal Brian cd! ;D

cilgwyn

On a more serious note. I was just thinking that my fantasy interpreter for a cd of Brian songs (Rayner-Cook,aside) would be Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau,one of my favourite singers. And just now,I read that he has passed away!

Back to the Beatles! ;D

cilgwyn

Of course everyone knew,except me!

J.Z. Herrenberg

The whole musical world has been in mourning since Friday...

(Apart from the Stone CD, I think I'll give 'Rubbra Soul' a spin)

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: cilgwyn on May 21, 2012, 06:11:57 AM
Of course everyone knew,except me!

You need to get out more. There's a whole GMG world beyond the Brian thread  ;)

Sarge

cilgwyn

Sgt Rock:Is there,really? ;D

Interesting that I know one of the Bee Gee's has died,but not Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau. Tut! Tut! :(

Dundonnell is a bit of a fan of Rubbra Soul,isn't he?

Karl Henning

Quote from: cilgwyn on May 21, 2012, 06:32:31 AM
Interesting that I know one of the Bee Gee's has died,but not Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau. Tut! Tut! :(

Dude, there are places where it just won't do to admit that.

I don't suppose that the Brian thread is one of them . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot