Havergal Brian.

Started by Harry, June 09, 2007, 04:36:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cilgwyn

I think you (we've? :o) frightened him off!!! :o
Hello Augustus,I'm a fan of No 14,too. It would be great if it could follow No 13 onto cd! :)

Mountain Goat

Quote from: cilgwyn on September 11, 2012, 01:43:08 AM
And now even more competition. According to a post on the AMF 'New release' thread,the Dutton October releases have been announced.....including Havergal Brian's aforementioned Violin Concerto,Symphony No 13,English Suite No 4,and....and,The Tinkers Wedding Overture! I didn't know that one was being included. This should make a VERY nice set indeed! :)

Excellent news, I very much look forward to this CD!  :)

cilgwyn

A very varied selection! I'm looking forward to the Violin Concerto as I've never been too happy with the Bisengaliev performance. The Holmes,yes! :) According to Johan,Mackerras didn't like 'The Tinkers Wedding',so I must have another listen to that later. And I'm also,rather looking forward to the English Suite No 4,after reading Malcolm MacDonald's tantalising description on the HBS website.

John Whitmore

Quote from: cilgwyn on September 15, 2012, 06:34:52 AM
A very varied selection! I'm looking forward to the Violin Concerto as I've never been too happy with the Bisengaliev performance. The Holmes,yes! :) According to Johan,Mackerras didn't like 'The Tinkers Wedding',so I must have another listen to that later. And I'm also,rather looking forward to the English Suite No 4,after reading Malcolm MacDonald's tantalising description on the HBS website.
It's a very pleasant, gentle piece. Nothing earth shattering but very much in the vein of the Nursery Suite I always think. It does need a decent recording.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: John Whitmore on 14-09-2012, 21:19:52
Yes, it will be available early next month. I heard the restorations last week. The artwork is just being done and I hope that Johan will come up with a short sleeve note as he did for the Holmes Violin Concerto (Nudge, nudge).

Curt wrote to me last night to ask if I could do the liner notes again. I think I'll have more time on my hands once I have finished a rather demanding short story, so - I consented.

(This thread is now 250 pages long...)
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

John Whitmore

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on September 17, 2012, 02:56:52 AM
Quote from: John Whitmore on 14-09-2012, 21:19:52
Yes, it will be available early next month. I heard the restorations last week. The artwork is just being done and I hope that Johan will come up with a short sleeve note as he did for the Holmes Violin Concerto (Nudge, nudge).

Curt wrote to me last night to ask if I could do the liner notes again. I think I'll have more time on my hands once I have finished a rather demanding short story, so - I consented.

(This thread is now 250 pages long...)

You are a very nice man :D

John Whitmore

Over the weekend I thought it was high time to get my HB collection into good order and put it onto a box set of CDs. I was amazed to see what I had in terms of free downloads and restored vinyl. Here we go.
CD 1
Elegy Wright
Faust Prologue Mackerras
Symphony 13 Pope
Symphony 17 Pope
Symphony 23 Goodman
CD 2
Symphony 18 Fairfax
Symphony 19 Canarina
Symphony 24 Fredman
Symphony 32 Head
CD 3
Symphony 26 Handley
Symphony 26 Smith
Symphony 29 Fredman
Symphony 29 Smith
CD 4
Symphony 16 Fredman (Lyrita oops)
Symphony 6 Fredman (another oops)
Symphony 6 Robinson
CD 5
Symphony 30 Lai
Radio interview from 1969
CD 6
Symphony 2 Mackerras
CD 7
Symphony 3 Pope
CD 8
Symphony 4 Poole
CD 9
Symphony 7 Newstone
CD 10
Symphony 8 Schwarz
Symphony 10 Pope (pitch corrected!)
CD 11
Symphony 9 Fredman
Symphony 12 Del Mar
In Memoriam Pickard
CD 12
Tigers orchestral pieces Hager
Symphony 5 Kok
CD 13
Violin Concerto Holmes
Symphony 28 Stokowski (Klassic Haus)
CD 14
Symphony 10 Loughran
Symphony 21 Pinkett (Klassic Haus)
CD 15
Symphony 22 Heltay
Psalm 23 Heltay
Suite No.5 Pinkett (Klassic Haus)
CD 16
Symphony 8 Fredman
Symphony 14 Downes (Klassic Haus)
CD 17/18
2011 Proms Gothic
CD 19/20
Brisbane Gothic
CD 21/22
Schmidt Gothic
CD 23/24/5
The Tigers Friend
Total cost peanuts ;D

John Whitmore

J.Z. Herrenberg

Thanks, John. I forgot to announce it here. But - I wrote the liner notes!
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

John Whitmore

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on October 01, 2012, 11:19:24 AM
Thanks, John. I forgot to announce it here. But - I wrote the liner notes!
So I see. Not in Dutch thank goodness. ;D

calyptorhynchus

I've downloaded the new 14/8 disc and have been listening to it.

Certainly a lot easier to listen to 14 than the previously available recording!
'Many men are melancholy by hearing music, but it is a pleasing melancholy that it causeth.' Robert Burton

J.Z. Herrenberg

MacDonald is highly critical of 14. He finds its first half rather laboured and uninspired. I disagree. I find the atmosphere very unified and the whole progression of the symphony quite natural and unforced. I am glad we now have the refurbished version! (I did notice, though, that in Curt Timmon's version the plucked strings in the Coda, when the marching is going on, are less prominent because of the brass...)

calyptorhynchus

Yep, I've listened to 14 several times and I still tend to agree with MM. In a way it's unfortunate that it's coupled with No.8, as that is a completely successful integrated structure of about the same length (and possibly Brian's greatest symphony), whereas 14 still seems to be between styles, feeling its way towards the later style (which, confusingly, Brian already seems to be approaching in No.8). As someone said of the Shakespeare's early works, "only the later Shakespeare could have written these".
'Many men are melancholy by hearing music, but it is a pleasing melancholy that it causeth.' Robert Burton

John Whitmore

Quote from: calyptorhynchus on October 02, 2012, 09:30:11 PM
Yep, I've listened to 14 several times and I still tend to agree with MM. In a way it's unfortunate that it's coupled with No.8, as that is a completely successful integrated structure of about the same length (and possibly Brian's greatest symphony), whereas 14 still seems to be between styles, feeling its way towards the later style (which, confusingly, Brian already seems to be approaching in No.8). As someone said of the Shakespeare's early works, "only the later Shakespeare could have written these".
Isn't it strange. I'm no fan of the 8th and really enjoy the 14th.

J.Z. Herrenberg

ALERT: at the moment the recording dates in my notes are reversed. No. 8 was recorded in 1971, and No. 14 in 1969...  :-[

John Whitmore

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on October 03, 2012, 07:35:31 AM
ALERT: at the moment the recording dates in my notes are reversed. No. 8 was recorded in 1971, and No. 14 in 1969...  :-[
You just can't get the staff these days can you?

calyptorhynchus

Sometimes I give house guests here a blast of Brian to try to spread the word. (Some of our friends are musical types). Of course they respond differently, but one response was very amusing: I explained how Brian composed most of his symphonies at an advanced age and this person said "sounds like one of the best results of the British Old Age Pension"!

(Any news on when the Dutton 13 is coming out?)

mszczuj

I am just starting my adventure with Brian symphonies. Alas I have some problems with finding some of them. There was possibility to download Brian symphonies from Unsung Composer site, but now I can't find them. I tried to find some information about possible downloads in this thread but it is too huge and didn't manage. So if anyone of you  would know link to Symphony No.5 or to Symphony No.28 and would be so kind to send it to me it would be highly appreciated.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Hi! I'm on the road (on the train, to be more precise). If John Whitmore isn't here earlier, I can help you tomorrow.

cilgwyn

Quote from: mszczuj on October 26, 2012, 01:37:41 AM
I am just starting my adventure with Brian symphonies. Alas I have some problems with finding some of them. There was possibility to download Brian symphonies from Unsung Composer site, but now I can't find them. I tried to find some information about possible downloads in this thread but it is too huge and didn't manage. So if anyone of you  would know link to Symphony No.5 or to Symphony No.28 and would be so kind to send it to me it would be highly appreciated.
I would suggest joining the Art Music Forum. They've got the lot there & a friendly 'crowd'! :)