Havergal Brian.

Started by Harry, June 09, 2007, 04:36:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Whitmore

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on November 08, 2012, 03:38:46 AM
Do you mean Steve is spot-on, or that the sound is just 'realistic', John?
I mean the engineering is spot on. The solo violin is brought forward just a little but it's still very much part of the fabric, as it should be, instead of being plonked on your lap with the orchestra somewhere in the distance. Compared to the BIS Sibelius the fiddle on this new Brian is really forward - but the BIS is natural to the point of not hearing the soloist and it doesn't work. Soloists need a little boost when you just have your ears and not your eyes to work with. I look forward to hearing the full thing.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Ah. Well, then we are in agreement. Yes, I can't wait either.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

cilgwyn

I received my copy today. I haven't got as far as the Symphony or the English Suite;but I've listened to the Violin Concerto & it sounds pretty good to me. Last week the GP had a look in my ear & found allot of surplus wax :(,so if I can hear it.....and these Sony headphones are a bit 'boomy'! ;D

This is the first performance of the VC I have enjoyed since the Holmes. I like this. I'm very happy with it. I didn't like the Bisengaliev at all! :(

Dundonnell

My copy arrived today as well.....along with the Arnell, Alan Bush and Bax etc disc :) :)

Have listened to the Violin Concerto so far. It sounds good to me....but then most things do ;D

J.Z. Herrenberg

I am fast becoming rather envious...
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Sergeant Rock

Mine's been dispatched from England. That means it could be here tomorrow...or five days from now due to the vagaries of mail across the Channel.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

cilgwyn

At least,I'm happy with it so far! ;D Of course,it would sound a bit different on speakers! I must admit,I don't like Violin,Viola or Cello Concerto's very much. My loss I know,but after the Mendelssohn & Tchaikovsky,I do tend to avoid them. Having said that,I DO like Moeran's efforts in the genre! And I'm going to have another crack at the Delius concerto's very soon!
  To my ears,not being a musician like John (although I can play chopsticks & The March of the Wooden Soldiers! ;D) I have always had a feeling,even with the wonderful Holmes performance,that Brian's orchestration is a bit too loud,or thick at times. There are periods where the solo instrument is too obviously struggling to be heard through the general rumpus around it;and I don't think a true master of his craft would have allowed this!
On the other hand,the experience of a musician steering his way through some colossal sounds to a viscerally,edge of your seat conclusion,is probably one of the reasons why I find this concerto such a thrilling experience. (In this sense,the choice of the original subtitle of 'Heroic' was very appropriate).

Hattoff

Well, I'll wait and see what you all think after hearing the whole thing and if you are still in agreement, it's off to the quacks I go.

To me, there seem to be quieter notes missing which has a disconcerting effect. Weird.

Perhaps a disadvantage of knowing the work well?

I don't want go deaf as well as having trouble with vision. :'(

cilgwyn

I am listening on headphones,of course! Also,the excitement of auditioning a new cd of a favourite composer. Although,not my favourite! (I'm trying to think who that might be?). I obviously need to listen more,before I can really make my mind up. But I really DID enjoy what I heard. I HATED the Naxos performance!!! >:(
In terms of recording balance. One of the worst I've ever heard was the Hyperion recording of Holst's Choral Symphony,a lovely work which I feel has,definately,more plus points than negative points. All I seemed to do,while I was listening to that cd,was,endlessly,fiddle around with the volume control! :( As soon as emi reissued their recording it was off to the charity shop,with it!! Like allot of people,the emi recording was the first one I ever heard & very happy with it,I am! :)
  Wait a minute,now? Don't tell me I'm the only one who thought the Hyperion recording was c***?!! :(

It must be a very tricky work to balance!

cilgwyn

It's great to hear a digital recording of the thirteenth. This compact symphony is so full of atmosphere,colour & incident. It has to be one of the most approachable of Brian's later works. I'm only sorry the the duration of a cd is too short to allow room for the equally absorbing,fourteenth!
Instead we get the English Suite No 4. This is the first time I have ever heard this piece. Lovely,magical,atmospheric miniatures that imho,deserve to be popular. And this is the man of 'Brian mythology' who composed dozens of ridiculously oversized symphonies & didn't know when to stop!! Now,if ONLY the evocatively subtitled English Suite No2 'Night portraits' would show up!! I'm sure this team would treat it to a a glorious premiere recording! Alas! But one has to hope!
  Finally,do my ears deceive me (apologies to Hattoff!) but isn't this a more fun performance than the Mackerras? Of course,it's a new cd,so maybe the excitement is just getting to me!

J.Z. Herrenberg

Thanks, cilgwyn! Next week cannot come soon enough for me!

cilgwyn

I think this could easily become one of my favourite Brian cds! And don't forget,it's ONLY £6 post free from HMV.......if you don't mind waiting 14 to 17 days!!! ??? :o :(

I'm starting to wish they would do the Symphonic Dances from The Tigers,now. The old Forlane performances are very good,but elderly now.....and most importantly,even when they aren't an expensive deletion,anyone wanting them has to invest in an often expensive box set!

cilgwyn

This Dutton cd is a very intelligently,well thought out selection,indeed! :)

J.Z. Herrenberg

HMV is ridiculously cheap, even undercutting my own HBS (£7.50)!

Albion

Quote from: cilgwyn on November 08, 2012, 08:43:36 AMI'm starting to wish they would do the Symphonic Dances from The Tigers,now. The old Forlane performances are very good,but elderly now.....and most importantly,even when they aren't an expensive deletion,anyone wanting them has to invest in an often expensive box set!

There is a really excellent performance of the Symphonic Variations on the recent Toccata disc of operatic excerpts - the whole disc is one of the best advertisements for Brian's music that I know of:

Otherwise, the Forlane recording of all six movements can be downloaded from Amazon - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Havergal-Brian-Orchestral-Pieces-Tigers/dp/B001UJOZGA/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1352397436&sr=8-5.

:)

Quote from: cilgwyn on November 08, 2012, 08:44:47 AMThis Dutton cd is a very intelligently,well thought out selection,indeed! :)

Agreed (just listening to it at the moment)!

;D
A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it. (SG, 1922)

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Albion on Today at 19:04:46
Agreed (just listening to it at the moment)!

;D

Aargh!

cilgwyn

Everyone's got it except you & Sarge!
I feel for you,I really do! ;D

Incidentally,when I saw that 'Aaagh!' My first thought was,'What I have written now?!!' :(

Regarding the Toccata cd. Yes,they do include the Symphonic Variations,but not the other 'bits'! I should point out,it was just a passing thought. Brian wise,I DO think there are other more important priorities at the moment. And yes,there is the download! Very useful,I remember downloading them myself;but,even I ended up forking out for a s/h copy of the Forlane set;which is still worth seeking out imo! You just wait for a reissue or a generously minded seller to show up. A real trail blazer that one. Ahead of it's time,which should be in every self respecting Brianite collection! ;D But maybe it's just nostalgia?!!

Having said that. If you DO  download,you can avoid that annoying cd 'side break'!

Now I think I'll make a cdr of ALL the professionally performed English Suites!

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: cilgwyn on Today at 19:23:08
1) Everyone's got it except you & Sarge!
    I feel for you,I really do!

2) Now I think I'll make a cdr of ALL the professionally performed English Suites!

1) My fate is unbearable.
2) Wait until after the Naxos comes out, with English Suite No. 1.

Dundonnell

There is no doubt in my mind that Brabbins is well-inside the Brian sound world as the composer intended it to be :)

The Symphony No.13 has never sounded better-not that we have much standard of comparison ;D The opening is suitably baleful, without being overdone, and the symphony moves forward with all that quirky Brianic sense of "ordered chaos" with the conductor clearly having a sure grip of the music. That is what comes of a conductor who has learned his trade conducting some incredibly complex and demanding ultra-modern music coming now to Brian :) :) :) He can let the music grow to one of those typical glorious Brian crescendo passages(around 8 minutes in) which is then suddenly cut off to be succeeded by that still, quiet passage where the solo violin sings alone, almost unaccompanied......mysterious yet magical and you just know that Brabbins is totally in control and command :) Brabbins seems to have the ability (helped, naturally, by the recording) to let every strand be heard properly.....for a change ;D

.....Sorry, Johan........this MUST be torture for you ;D ;D ;D

Oh....and yes, the English Suite No.4 is delightful plus "The Tinker's Wedding" is enormous fun :) :)

Dundonnell

.......AND the end of the symphony is pure aural splendour :) :) :)