Havergal Brian.

Started by Harry, June 09, 2007, 04:36:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Whitmore

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on January 07, 2013, 03:34:26 AM
Thanks for the info. Just placed an order for 2, 3, 4 and 5.

Sarge
Do you buy the CDs or the downloads? Just asking seeing as USA to Germany is quite a long way for snail mail. I've taken a shine to No.9. Rather good ending I think.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Yours truly has, again, furnished the liner notes. I think Curt Timmons has done an excellent job, several excellent jobs, to be precise. Symphony No. 3, under Stanley Pope, for example, never sounded better, and I have known and cherished the recording for almost 30 years... Cilgwyn, if you buy anything, buy No. 3 (I know it's one of your favourite Brian symphonies)! I hope I did the symphonies justice and provided enough information to help the listener get his or her bearings, because I didn't have much space.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: John Whitmore on January 07, 2013, 03:59:51 AM
Do you buy the CDs or the downloads? Just asking seeing as USA to Germany is quite a long way for snail mail. I've taken a shine to No.9. Rather good ending I think.

I buy the CDs (I'm Old School  ;D ). And yeah, it takes a while--usually three to four weeks. It's not the mail that delays it but rather, I think, the process of getting through customs.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: John Whitmore on January 07, 2013, 03:59:51 AMI've taken a shine to No.9. Rather good ending I think.

The new CD with 9 seemed, when I was ordering, to be a less urgent need as I already have two Ninths on CD (Del Mar and Groves). But I've just been listening repeatedly to the MP3 of the 23rd I got years ago from Johann and I'm enjoying it immensely. It has a splendid ending too. I may have to order it.

Sarge

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on Today at 14:37:39
The new CD with 9 seemed, when I was ordering, to be a less urgent need as I already have two Ninths on CD (Del Mar and Groves). But I've just been listening repeatedly to the MP3 of the 23rd I got years ago from Johann and I'm enjoying it immensely. It has a splendid ending too. I may have to order it.

Sarge

No. 12 under Del Mar, on the same CD as 23, sounds terrific, too...
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

John Whitmore

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on January 07, 2013, 04:09:24 AM
Yours truly has, again, furnished the liner notes. I think Curt Timmons has done an excellent job, several excellent jobs, to be precise. Symphony No. 3, under Stanley Pope, for example, never sounded better, and I have known and cherished the recording for almost 30 years... Cilgwyn, if you buy anything, buy No. 3 (I know it's one of your favourite Brian symphonies)! I hope I did the symphonies justice and provided enough information to help the listener get his or her bearings, because I didn't have much space.
Did you write the notes in a very small room then or is the house just full of clutter? :D

John Whitmore

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on January 07, 2013, 04:28:38 AM
I buy the CDs (I'm Old School  ;D ). And yeah, it takes a while--usually three to four weeks. It's not the mail that delays it but rather, I think, the process of getting through customs.

Sarge
I'm very old school indeed in that I prefer analogue/vinyl but for Klassic Haus stuff I download the FLACs and artwork, burn a CD and keep a stock of empty jewel cases at hand to finish the job. Same end result but quicker. Anyway, be patient - it will be worth the wait and I agree with Johan in that No.3 is probably the best of the lot.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: John Whitmore on Today at 17:12:27
Did you write the notes in a very small room then or is the house just full of clutter? :D

Both. But that was our secret!  :'( ;D

Christo

... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

J.Z. Herrenberg

Sergeant Rock

J.Z. Herrenberg

That's okay, Feldwebel Fels.  ;D

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on January 07, 2013, 10:03:46 AM
That's okay, Feldwebel Fels.  ;D

Feldwebel Fels...I like the sound of that. If my grandparents hadn't emigrated from Germany to the US in 1930, I could imagine that as my GMG user name  :D

Sarge

Karl Henning

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on January 07, 2013, 10:12:36 AM
Feldwebel Fels...I like the sound of that. If my grandparents hadn't emigrated to the US in 1930, I could imagine that as my GMG user name  :D

Nice ring to it, indeed.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on Today at 20:12:36
Feldwebel Fels...I like the sound of that. If my grandparents hadn't emigrated from Germany to the US in 1930, I could imagine that as my GMG user name  :D

Sarge

It's still not too late...

calyptorhynchus

I've downloaded the Mp3s of 2 & 3.

Will listen to these asap.
'Many men are melancholy by hearing music, but it is a pleasing melancholy that it causeth.' Robert Burton

calyptorhynchus

I've listened to 2, very good sound quality. Much better than the previous shared recording.

On to the rest!
'Many men are melancholy by hearing music, but it is a pleasing melancholy that it causeth.' Robert Burton

calyptorhynchus

Many pages ago I opined that HB may have written the shortest symphony (No.22 @ 9:30m).

Now I note that Webern has a symphony which only lasts 7:57m.

:D

John Whitmore

Quote from: calyptorhynchus on January 13, 2013, 09:34:33 PM
Many pages ago I opined that HB may have written the shortest symphony (No.22 @ 9:30m).

Webern's runs for less than 8 minutes but it feels like 8 hours.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: calyptorhynchus on January 13, 2013, 09:34:33 PM

Rued Langgaard's Symphony #11 "Ixion" lasts 6:20 in the Dausgaard recording; 6:03 in the Stupel.

Sarge