Havergal Brian.

Started by Harry, June 09, 2007, 04:36:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J.Z. Herrenberg

Hi John - I'm afraid I know as much as you do...  :( We'll have to be patient a little more, it seems.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

J.Z. Herrenberg

I just bought (downloaded) the new Naxos Brian CD at ClassicsOnline and listened here and there: ending of the Symphonia Brevis, for instance, and the Carnival movement from the Suite - terrific! Sound is excellent and I can clearly hear that the conductor knows exactly what he is doing. I'll listen to the whole CD later tonight, but I am already very relieved AND very excited!
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

J.Z. Herrenberg

Listened to symphonies 22-24... This CD is an absolute winner. It gives you that real Brian frisson, reminding you why you love the man's music so much. No. 22 gets its best performance ever, I think. The tempi are all well-judged, Alexander Walker knows when to tighten the reins and when to let rip, so the music flows and breathes very naturally. No. 23 is a revelation. To my ears it now clearly points ahead to No. 27 and 28 in the extreme intensity of some its passages. I am very impressed by what has been achieved here by the orchestra. It's quite a ride! No. 24 is excellent, too. Perhaps (minor, very minor niggle) the tempo of the final slow movement could be a tad slower. But who cares - I was moved. It all comes together wonderfully, you can hear the unity of this trilogy for the first time.

Karl Henning

Thanks for that, most interesting, Johan.

So the English Suite is actually longer than any of the actual symphonies on that CD? Curious!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Actually . . . actual . . . haven't finished my first mug of tea this morning, can you tell? . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

J.Z. Herrenberg

Yes...  ;) Still, one eagle eye spotted the remarkable fact that the Suite is longer than any of the symphonies. So there is hope for you after all.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: karlhenning on May 02, 2013, 04:04:57 AM
Thanks for that, most interesting, Johan.

So the English Suite is actually longer than any of the actual symphonies on that CD? Curious!

22 -  9:22
23 - 13:44
24 - 16:29

English Suite #1 (6 movements) - 25:51

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

J.Z. Herrenberg

Hi, Sarge! What do you think of the new CD?

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on May 02, 2013, 04:23:20 AM
Hi, Sarge! What do you think of the new CD?

It's a noisy SOB, isn't it?  :D ;)

Sarge

J.Z. Herrenberg

That's one, very valid, way of looking at it!  ;D

Karl Henning

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on May 02, 2013, 04:20:58 AM
22 -  9:22
23 - 13:44
24 - 16:19

English Suite #1 (6 movements) - 25:51

Thanks, Sarge.

Indeed, the English Suite proves to be longer than the 22nd & 23rd symphonies together . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on May 02, 2013, 04:25:41 AM
That's one, very valid, way of looking at it!  ;D

Seriously, I found the recording a bit harsh when I listened to 22. I moved on to the English Suite which was far easier on my ears. A truly lovely work, and a great performance. I wasn't feeling well, though, when I tried to listen to the symphonies; sinus and ear infection. So I'm sure (I'm hoping anyway) it was my condition and not the sonics fault.

Sarge

J.Z. Herrenberg

I hope you'll be better soon, Sarge. I do think, though, that the harshness is there in the work. No. 23 is even more uncompromising, as the middle, 'battle' part of the trilogy...

Karl Henning

Sinus and ear infection is certainly not one's ideal listening conditions! : )
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

J.Z. Herrenberg

It simply shows to what lengths the true Brianite will go...  ;)

Brian

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on May 02, 2013, 04:24:52 AM
It's a noisy SOB, isn't it?  :D ;)
Sarge
Perfect! I have a coworker who doesn't know when to shut up and I'm always looking for loud music to play over my headphones so I don't have to hear him.  :)

J.Z. Herrenberg

You could always play the final minutes of the 'Judex' on a loop.

cilgwyn

Quote from: Brian on May 02, 2013, 04:42:23 AM
Perfect! I have a coworker who doesn't know when to shut up and I'm always looking for loud music to play over my headphones so I don't have to hear him.  :)
Das Siegeslied! ;D

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: cilgwyn on May 02, 2013, 04:46:33 AM
Das Siegeslied! ;D

That would certainly do the trick...but would cause permanent ear damage too  ;D

Sarge

Karl Henning

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on May 02, 2013, 04:49:54 AM
That would certainly do the trick...but would cause permanent ear damage too  ;D

Sarge

With friends like that . . . .

; )
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA