Havergal Brian.

Started by Harry, June 09, 2007, 04:36:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on December 22, 2013, 12:20:10 PM

Agreed. But The Hyperion Third isn't as bad.

This performance doesn't sound bad at all. On an unrelated topic, I'm going to be re-examining Bax's music as well so chalk him up on my composer list for 2014.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: calyptorhynchus on December 22, 2013, 12:28:03 PM
Glad people are coming on board, and appreciation of Brian is growing, but it's a pity there aren't any new recordings in the pipeline for next year (as far as we know).

On another note, it's now almost two years since I discovered this forum and through it the BBC recordings of Brian (before that I only had the published CDs).

Thanks everyone for your erudite and of entertaining comments, thanks to John W for his scepticism :-)

Happy Christmas and New Year!

The same to you! And I'm glad to hear that your stay here was and is fruitful. Your own contributions haven't been particularly empty, either. So - thanks!
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 22, 2013, 12:28:53 PM
This performance doesn't sound bad at all. On an unrelated topic, I'm going to be re-examining Bax's music as well so chalk him up on my composer list for 2014.

I like Bax a lot (Symphonies 1-3, 6 and 7, and several of the tone poems). I'm curious to see how, in your eyes, he compares to Brian. Both composers created their own world.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Mirror Image

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on December 22, 2013, 12:33:10 PM

I like Bax a lot (Symphonies 1-3, 6 and 7, and several of the tone poems). I'm curious to see how, in your eyes, he compares to Brian. Both composers created their own world.

It's hard to argue that Delius, Brian, RVW, Elgar, and Bax weren't some of the most unique British composers of the 20th Century.

J.Z. Herrenberg

I happen to love all of them. So - yes!

Mirror Image

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on December 22, 2013, 12:39:25 PM
I happen to love all of them. So - yes!

I'm definitely going to work on Bax. What would you say are some of the main characteristics of his style, Johan? Sorry to continue to post off-topic.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 22, 2013, 12:47:09 PM
I'm definitely going to work on Bax. What would you say are some of the main characteristics of his style, Johan? Sorry to continue to post off-topic.

There is a Bax-thread, of course... When I think of Bax I think of colourful orchestration, passion, romanticism, Eros, nature. He is formally much more conventional than Brian, in my opinion. Brian is completely unpredictable; but Bax fills the traditional forms in a very original way. The strings carry everything. But he can write great things for the brass and the woodwind, too.

Mirror Image

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on December 22, 2013, 12:51:27 PM

There is a Bax-thread, of course... When I think of Bax I think of colourful orchestration, passion, romanticism, Eros, nature. He is formally much more conventional than Brian, in my opinion. Brian is completely unpredictable; but Bax fills the traditional forms in a very original way.

Thanks for the feedback, Johan. Now back to Brian...

Mirror Image

Well, I revisited Symphony No. 3 and rather enjoyed it. Some fantastic music within this symphony. I might give it another listen tomorrow. I also listened to the Violin Concerto (Naxos recording), which was quite nice, but I imagine it being better performed on the Dutton recording I have on order. After I listen to some of Debussy's Pelleas, I'm going to listen to Symphony No. 18.

cilgwyn

It was a dark and stormy night and a naive young teenager was sitting alone reading the latest issue of Gramophone magazine....

I've said this before somewhere,of course;but I didn't like Brian's third the first time I heard it. I remember sending off for the Lp,which was one of several Brian Lps in a list supplied by 'Michael G Thomas',who used to advertise regularly in the back pages of Gramophone,while it was still the classical music magazine to read. Well,if you lived in Britain,anyway! I recall thinking that it was a bit strange. I hadn't heard of any Havergal Brian Lp of No 3 or any of the others listed. Anyway,I sent my postal orders off and two or three weeks later it arrived. The album cover one of the worst I've ever seen. A shot of a rock surrounded by waves,which sounds okay,but it wasn't even a good photograph. And there was something a bit strange about the presentation. Not that it was that bad,just something odd about it! And the 'Lisbon Conservatory Orchestra?' "Hm!" I though,"I haven't heard of them before? Oh well,it just shows how little I know about classical music,I suppose!" ;D So,I put it on,and this not long after hearing the Ole Schmidt performance of the Gothic! The sound quality was a little boxy,but clear enough,but the music was nothing like the 'Gothic' or any of the other Brian Lps I'd bought. Then,a few minutes into the Lp one of the strangest sounds I have ever heard in any symphony I have listened to! ???
Of course,later on I found out that I'd actually bought a Pirate Lp! Years later and No3 is now my favourite Brian symphony!

Mirror Image

Yeah, I can hear how the 3rd could grow on listeners. I'm going to be listening to it again today. Right now, I don't think I have a favorite Brian symphony, but the 3rd, 10th, and 17th have made strong impressions on me, but my ears are still growing with this music.

J.Z. Herrenberg

I remember listening to the Third Symphony for the first time. 1985 it was, or thereabouts. Composer John Pickard had sent me a tape (he studied in The Hague at the time). The work enchanted me, but it upset me, too. I found the conclusion, ostensibly 'triumphant', more of an explosion of frustration. It sounded like someone rattling his cage. 'I want to get out!' Almost thirty years on, I think the symphony is one of Brian's finest and richest.

cilgwyn

While I didn't like it at the time it certainly intrigued me!
I DID like the Second,though! The doom laden,brooding,enigmatic atmosphere of the music was just right for nocturnal walks on cold,wintry nights! (Langgaard would have approved). I wish I had a cd label,I'd love to record a really first rate performance in state of the art sound. No 3 is another one. I can't even listen to the Hyperion cd after hearing the Pope performance. I don't really see the point! On the other hand,while I prefer the LSSO performance of No 10 (who doesn't?) I still find the Dutton recording provides an interestingly different perspective. The Hyperion third,on the other hand,while it's not a bad performance,just doesn't take off for me. It seems too staid. The Pope performance is wilder,more unpredictable.
I actually quite like a composer who composes pieces of music I don't like,or get,straightaway. It makes things more interesting. Something to puzzle over,mull over,tease apart!
(Although twenty years for the later symphonies?!! ??? :-[ ;D)

Maybe there'll be one of those big Warner style box sets of Brian symphonies one day. Like there was for Myaskovsky! I mean who could have predicted that?! :o

Mirror Image

Quote from: cilgwyn on December 23, 2013, 08:17:21 AMMaybe there'll be one of those big Warner style box sets of Brian symphonies one day. Like there was for Myaskovsky! I mean who could have predicted that?! :o

Now, that would be something.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: cilgwyn on December 23, 2013, 08:17:21 AM
Maybe there'll be one of those big Warner style box sets of Brian symphonies one day. Like there was for Myaskovsky! I mean who could have predicted that?! :o

Yes, Brian needs a conductor/champion like Svetlanov/Myaskovsky or Rasilainen/Atterberg or Järvi/Tubin. But I don't see it happening in my lifetime  :(

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Mirror Image

springrite

Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: springrite on December 23, 2013, 08:35:10 AMUp to Kimi then!

Ha!

I'm optimistic - I think we can expect at least one new Naxos CD with Brian symphonies, seeing the one with 22-24 is a success.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on December 23, 2013, 08:38:15 AM

Ha!

I'm optimistic - I think we can expect at least one new Naxos CD with Brian symphonies, seeing the one with 22-24 is a success.

Yes, I expect we'll see a few more recordings of the symphonies we don't yet have commercially. But what I don't see happening are new recordings in superb sound of the less well produced or performed symphonies, i.e., the Second and Third.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"