Havergal Brian.

Started by Harry, June 09, 2007, 04:36:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Whitmore

Quote from: vandermolen on December 31, 2013, 04:18:35 PM
And to you too Johan. Just received the new LSSO recordings of symphonies 10 and 22 etc. my New Year treat   :).
I look forward to your honest opinion. Enjoy it.

springrite

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on December 31, 2013, 03:02:02 PM
Happy New Year to all my fellow Brianites!

[Page 300!]

Brianites around the world, unite!
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: springrite on January 01, 2014, 05:32:52 AM
Brianites around the world, unite!

You have nothing to lose but your [fill in as appropriate]!
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Mirror Image

Cross-posted from the 'Listening' thread -

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 04, 2014, 01:59:18 PM
Now:

A new acquisition. Listening to Symphony No. 10. My Dad came in my room and said "Who is that?!?!?" I said "This is 'Symphony No. 10' by Havergal Brian," and he replied "I want to burn CDs of every recording of his music you own." 8) Yeah, this is a really awesome performance.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Clearly a man of taste!

Excellent news!
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Mirror Image

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on January 04, 2014, 02:53:48 PM
Clearly a man of taste!

Excellent news!

8) Yeah, I was very impressed by this performance of Symphony No. 10 and can certainly understand all of the enthusiasm from other Brianites regarding the quality of the performance. In comparison with Brabbins' 10th, I hear much more drive in the music and all-around intensity. Not to slight Brabbins, but he just can't compete with James Loughran here and while obviously the Royal Scottish National Orchestra are performing at a very high level, the energy from the Leicestershire Schools Symphony Orchestra have them beat. The sheer amount of power in these teenagers' performances are on an incredibly high level.

J.Z. Herrenberg

When I heard the Tenth for the first time, more than 30 years ago, I was completely obsessed by it. I am glad you are as impressed as every other Brianite has been. And you'll have made John Whitmore's day, when he wakes up...

Mirror Image

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on January 04, 2014, 03:07:36 PM
When I heard the Tenth for the first time, more than 30 years ago, I was completely obsessed by it. I am glad you are as impressed as every other Brianite has been. And you'll have made John Whitmore's day, when he wakes up...

I can certainly hear why you became obsessed with the symphony. Yes and I enjoyed reading John's notes, too. 8)

springrite

Darn! Now I have to order this version! Budget!

Mirror Image

Quote from: springrite on January 04, 2014, 09:04:44 PM
Darn! Now I have to order this version! Budget!

Yep, these are some smoking performances, Paul. 8)

springrite

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 05, 2014, 07:22:11 AM
Yep, these are some smoking performances, Paul. 8)

A bit expensive, too, no?

Mirror Image

John Whitmore

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on January 04, 2014, 03:07:36 PM
zzzzzzzzzzzzzz..................LSSO 10th rules OK.

John Whitmore

Quote from: springrite on January 05, 2014, 08:40:17 AM
A bit expensive, too, no?
Not really. Around £14 for a newly engineered 2 CD transfer, super notes by MM and months of effort to find the CBS masters in the first place. A snip. Snap it up.

John Whitmore

From an earlier post by Mirror Image:
I said "This is 'Symphony No. 10' by Havergal Brian," and he replied "I want to burn CDs of every recording of his music you own." I feel the same about Bruckner. I think I will burn every CD that I own by that particular composer.

Mirror Image

Quote from: John Whitmore on January 05, 2014, 11:02:26 AM
I said "This is 'Symphony No. 10' by Havergal Brian," and he replied "I want to burn CDs of every recording of his music you own." I feel the same about Bruckner. I think I will burn every CD that I own by that particular composer.

:P I meant my Dad wants to 'make copies' of all my Brian recordings.

springrite

Quote from: John Whitmore on January 05, 2014, 10:59:01 AM
Not really. Around £14 for a newly engineered 2 CD transfer, super notes by MM and months of effort to find the CBS masters in the first place. A snip. Snap it up.

Where? ON Amazon I only see ones for over $30

cilgwyn

Quote from: John Whitmore on January 05, 2014, 11:02:26 AM
You actually have some Bruckner in your collection,John?!! :o

springrite

Quote from: cilgwyn on January 06, 2014, 04:37:39 AM
You actually have some Bruckner in your collection,John?!! :o

It is winter after all. John needs fuel.

cilgwyn