Havergal Brian.

Started by Harry, June 09, 2007, 04:36:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J.Z. Herrenberg

Hello, calyptorhynchus! I like the quotation. I have been deepening my knowledge of Bruckner these past few months, so HB has been rather absent. But I know that when he returns, my reaction to his music won't be dissimilar to yours...
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

cilgwyn

With all the new recordings currently on the horizon I don't think you'll be leaving it too long! ;D

J.Z. Herrenberg

You could be right, cilgwyn...
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Augustus

There's a thread on the Good Music Guide forum that suggests the new Dutton of Brian 5, 19 & 27 will be out as soon as December, having already gone off to the factory:
http://artmusic.smfforfree.com/index.php/topic,4281.msg22277/topicseen.html#msg22277

J.Z. Herrenberg

Thanks, Augustus!

HB died 42 years ago today and he's still going strong. Not for millions, of course. But a motivated minority isn't bad.

cilgwyn

Indeed! Although,no Elvis style glimpses of him since,sadly! (ie I saw Havergal Brian in my burger!) Although,there was something,wasn't there? I think he was bemoaning a lost score,if I remember correctly?!

J.Z. Herrenberg

Albion

A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it. (SG, 1922)

J.Z. Herrenberg

J.Z. Herrenberg

Well, I have to be a bit careful with my finances, so any temptation I may feel is handily  restrained. I'll buy it next month...

cilgwyn

Unfortunately,I decided to fill in allot of the major gaps in my collection in one go!! I stocked up on allot of digital recordings of VW symphonies I didn't have (I had mostly Boult)the Chandos Arnold symphony cycle,the Moeran Boult and Dilkes,Rawsthorne Piano Concertos,lots of Respighi (Chandos,BIS),Hubert Parry cds,George Dyson Chandos cds,Foulds (Warner twofer,the Lyrita I didn't have),Korngold Chandos & Hyperion,Bax I didn't have including chamber & piano music (Chandos,etc) the Violin & Cello Concertos,Bainton's third,Stenhammar Serenade (BIS),Walton Syms 1 & 2 (Sargent,Previn),Scriabin Piano Sonatas (Hyperion),Dvorak,Smetana(Ancerl) & a couple of weeks ago (July or August?)the Tubin (BIS) & Vagn Holmboe cycles!!

You see the problem! The postman does start to give you extremely funny looks!! So no more until next May at least. I did make an exception for the forthcoming Brian cds and anything very unusual that hasn't been recorded before! But it will have to be something really special! But no more dribs and drabs.......I've got them now!

J.Z. Herrenberg

I'm amazed there's still food on the table in the Cilgwyn household. But in the worst-case scenario you'll have an extremely musical death.

cilgwyn

It reminds me of my late mother,"You can't wear cds!" :(

It's going to be a job fighting the temptation!
Of the less well known repertoire I picked up in my haul,I was particularly impressed by the music on the Chandos Respighi Concerto Gregoriano cd,the Dyson Symphony,Violin Concerto (and the suite),Foulds Hellas suite (which I hadn't heard before) Bax's Violin Concerto,which I didn't know (except from a poor off air recording),Bax's Chamber music and the Boult Moeran is just wonderful!! I liked the  more reflective,lyrical Dilkes,too (I had Handley & Heward). Rawsthorne's Piano Concertos are very impressive imho.....but I fear the rest of his music is a bit too,er,thorny for me! :( ;D
More of this on the relevant threads!!

J.Z. Herrenberg

Dyson - check. Moeran - check. Rawsthorne - check. Your binge is forgiven, my son.

Fagotterdämmerung

Charmed to see a coterie of Brian fans! I so often feel like the only one.  ???

His work has a vibrancy and a variance in textures that has a unique charm to my ears. Many Romantics, even those with an ear for color, often treat the orchestra in a very rote way: with Brian, I always feel there is a constant swell and change in an out of density and color; a bit like the movement of water at sea.

cilgwyn

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: Fagotterdämmerung on December 09, 2014, 09:39:34 AM
  Charmed to see a coterie of Brian fans! I so often feel like the only one.  ???

His work has a vibrancy and a variance in textures that has a unique charm to my ears. Many Romantics, even those with an ear for color, often treat the orchestra in a very rote way: with Brian, I always feel there is a constant swell and change in an out of density and color; a bit like the movement of water at sea.

I would say it's more like being waterboarded.
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

J.Z. Herrenberg

Welcome, Fagotterdämmerung (I like your handle)! Yes, in this cosy corner of GMG we cherish the curious works of old Havergal.

And welcome back, Sforzando (and in most characteristic fashion)!

cilgwyn

And very topical! Who knows,maybe the CIA will start using the complete works of Havergal Brian? Das Siegeslied first,then the Gothic....full blast and plenty of bass,of course! They'd soon buckle! ??? ;D

The Beatles would do it for me! I'm afraid I don't share Brian's enthusiasm for them! A few bars of 'Lucy in the sky with diamonds'!All those shrilled Liverpudlian accents in unison! Noooooooooooooooooo!! I'll tell you anything!

(Each to his own,eh?)