Havergal Brian.

Started by Harry, June 09, 2007, 04:36:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Whitmore

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on February 04, 2015, 07:38:20 AM
It's like Fawlty Towers in here, with all these irreverent men running around.
Can I be O'Reilly the builder please? I liked him.

cilgwyn

J.Z. Herrenberg

(Cilgwyn is from Barcelona. Just saying.)
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

J.Z. Herrenberg

Sensational news. I have acted quickly. Havergal Brian's Gothic Symphony will be performed in Braunschweig, Germany, on 10 and 11 May! Link here:

http://staatstheater-braunschweig.de/nc/staatsorchester/produktion/details/9-sinfoniekonzert/
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

cilgwyn

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on February 09, 2015, 05:22:50 AM
Sensational news. I have acted quickly. Havergal Brian's Gothic Symphony will be performed in Braunschweig, Germany, on 10 and 11 May! Link here:

http://staatstheater-braunschweig.de/nc/staatsorchester/produktion/details/9-sinfoniekonzert/
Wow!! ??? :o :o Fantastic! Another performance! As Victor Meldrew would say ("I don't believe it!")............!!!
And hello Cpo! This is in their neck of the woods,as they say.

J.Z. Herrenberg

I am going with my sister, like last time. We 're driving there, it's only about 4 hours.

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

cilgwyn

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on February 09, 2015, 05:35:41 AM
I am going with my sister, like last time. We 're driving there, it's only about 4 hours.
Remind her to bring her camera phone (or whatever you call them!) ;D No need for a steadicam with your sister around.
Of course,this is absolutely outrageous,you barely had time to finish reading..........and then this!! :o ;D I mean,what next? The Tigers? In Germany. That would be a wonderful irony.

You never know what's around the corner!

J.Z. Herrenberg

I must say - it hasn't sunk in yet...  Havergal invades Germany!!

springrite

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on February 09, 2015, 07:06:57 AM
I must say - it hasn't sunk in yet...  Havergal invades Germany!!

...and the city formerly known as Stalingrad is next and will finally fall!
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

J.Z. Herrenberg

cilgwyn

A German performance of Das Siegeslied after that! ;D
(And they can do Holbrooke's Cauldron of Annwn cycle for us Holbrookanites while they're at it! There is more to life than Brian,so I'm told! I don't believe them,of course! ;D)
I've got James Brown on at the moment,mind you,so maybe there is?!! ??? ;D And no,I'm not playing his famous track,"Wake up I feel like a Brianite!"

I see the Staatsorchester recorded Spohr's rare opera Der Alchymist in 2011. I'm a bit of a fan of Spohr,although I don't have that,unfortunately! It all sounds very promising indeed! Bet you can't wait?!!

cilgwyn

Wake up.I feel like Das Siegeslied!! ;D

J.Z. Herrenberg

I've been listening to Frank Sinatra these past few days... Yes, I'm really looking forward to it. Hotel has already been booked. I am going to combine the concert with a pilgrimage to the place in the countryside (Luneburg Heath) where my favourite German writer from the post-war era lived and worked, Arno Schmidt. North of Braunschweig...

vandermolen

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on February 09, 2015, 07:59:09 AM
I've been listening to Frank Sinatra these past few days... Yes, I'm really looking forward to it. Hotel has already been booked. I am going to combine the concert with a pilgrimage to the place in the countryside (Luneburg Heath) where my favourite German writer from the post-war era lived and worked, Arno Schmidt. North of Braunschweig...

Did you know that Frank Sinatra (whose music I grew up listening to as he was my father's favourite) was a great admirer of the music of Vaughan Williams, especially 'Job'? Not sure what Frank would have made of HB but great news about the Gothic Symphony.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Hattoff

Very good news about the Gothic.

Did anyone else notice that the BBC broadcast a performance of the Burlesque Variation at midnight on Sunday the 8th of Feb? Here's the blurb.

"The BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra and conductor Garry Walker perform music by the great British eccentric composer Havergal Brian. His Burlesque Variations was written in 1903 and not performed until 1980. This recording from July 2009 was made at City Halls, Glasgow."

I managed to record it and I will put it up on Mediafire. The performance doesn't, otherwise, appear to be available.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Hattoff, our sharp-eared sentinel! I never knew about that performance in the first place (or I have forgotten about it). Do upload! It will be interesting to compare and contrast with the Toccata CD (assuming it's not the same, haven't checked, my computer is still off and I have it as a download).

hbswebmaster

It WAS the Toccata CD performance...

Not only does the Radio 3 website for the transmission refer to HB as a 'great British eccentric composer', but they also said that he composed 32 symphonies in the 1920s, which I'm sure is news to all of us!

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: hbswebmaster on February 09, 2015, 11:33:43 PMNot only does the Radio 3 website for the transmission refer to HB as a 'great British eccentric composer', but they also said that he composed 32 symphonies in the 1920s, which I'm sure is news to all of us!

Common knowledge. Where have you been!?

calyptorhynchus

I saw that piece in the Radio 3 schedules and assumed it was the Toccata CD. I meant to write grumbling about the designation of HB as the "great British eccentric composer", I thought it would have been better to say "great British composer" myself.

I'm still waiting to hear the new Dutton, I think they tied my CD to a fish near Tilbury, hoping it would swim to Australia.

>:( (impatient).
'Many men are melancholy by hearing music, but it is a pleasing melancholy that it causeth.' Robert Burton