Havergal Brian.

Started by Harry, June 09, 2007, 04:36:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J.Z. Herrenberg

Ha! I know how you feel.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

cilgwyn

Nothing wrong with being eccentric! Although,I don't recall Bax being referred to as eccentric even though his lifestyle was certainly more eccentric than Brian's! Holbrooke,now he was eccentric! If you'd bumped into him accidentally you'd have probably been desperately hoping you wouldn't bump into him again! If you'd met Brian you probably would have thought of him as a down to earth sort of bloke with a dry northern sense of humour. If you showed an interest in literature and music he probably would have been pleased to talk to you about it;but you wouldn't have thought there was anything particularly eccentric about him. Although,I gather he wasn't such good company in his younger days, when he was on the bottle! Is that true? (Someone needs to write a really good biography).

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: calyptorhynchus on February 10, 2015, 01:05:44 AM
I'm still waiting to hear the new Dutton, I think they tied my CD to a fish near Tilbury, hoping it would swim to Australia.

It took my copy ten days to cross the channel. You, in Australia, may be looking at a Christmas present  ;D

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

cilgwyn

Lucky you calyptorhyncus,you'll be opening it under the Xmas tree! ;D

cilgwyn

And then there was Lord Berners who was famously eccentric. Although maybe "willfully eccentric" would be a better way of describing him. I like his The Triumph of Neptune ballet and play it occasionally. As to Brian I don't really object to him being called eccentric and I suppose it's true to say that the average man (or woman) in the street doesn't compose a colossal record breaking symphony for hundreds of performers,let alone a further thirty one and an opera with walk on parts for elephants. More's the pity I say!! ;D

cilgwyn

Elephant! Only one,fair play!!

J.Z. Herrenberg

Brian, in my opinion, was only eccentric in the literal sense. He was a very level-headed visionary.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

cilgwyn

Quite! Which reminds me of this line from my old Penguin Guide to Compact Discs (and cassettes),"Was Havergal Brian,composer of 32 symphonies.20 of them written after he was eighty,a genius or just an obsessed megalomaniac"!

cilgwyn

J.Z. Herrenberg

Just a genius, and driven, not obsessed: he knew when to quit composing. (John Whitmore will add: But far too late.)

cilgwyn

They write some daft things! Follow that line of thought and Maher and Wagner are both megalomaniacs,too!
Now Hitler? He was a megalomaniac and a tad on the obsessive side. I don't remember Brian invading Poland. Although I rather hope he does! He is getting around a bit now!! ;D

By the way,someone over at the AMF is wondering who the conductor of the Gothic is going to be?!

J.Z. Herrenberg

Augustus

Searching around for more details, I see some websites, eg:
http://www.braunschweig.de/kultur/veranstaltungen/index.html?&text=Sinfoniekonzert
give the conductor as Peter Halasz, who seems to be the Music Director of Hungarian State Opera.

But I can't find any reference to soloists.  I wonder if these could be drawn from the Braunschweig Stadtstheater opera company?

Karl Henning

Quote from: cilgwyn on February 10, 2015, 03:23:14 AM
Quite! Which reminds me of this line from my old Penguin Guide to Compact Discs (and cassettes),"Was Havergal Brian,composer of 32 symphonies.20 of them written after he was eighty,a genius or just an obsessed megalomaniac"!

Objection, your honor: hostile witness.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: cilgwyn on February 10, 2015, 03:23:14 AM

Silly thing to say. Penguin would never write: Was Franz Schubert, composer of over 600 songs by the time he was 31, a genius or just an obsessed megalomaniac?

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Karl Henning

Exactly:  an artist doing his work, megalomaniacal obsession, tchah!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

J.Z. Herrenberg

Implicit in that Penguin quote is that when the creative flame still burns in old age you're not normal. You should start forgetting things, and fade away, drooling.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Oh, and thank you, Augustus, for your Sherlockian exertions. We'll wait and see.

pjme

The Gothic in Braunschweig in May 2015!? This is very tempting! Antwerp - Braunschweig: that's only ca 450 km....I may go there!

I listened to both the 6th and the 16th this afternoon:

Peter

J.Z. Herrenberg

From Amsterdam it's a four and a half hours' drive, so - doable. If you go, order your ticket asap, prices range from €14 to €34! More than half the tickets were already sold yesterday.